Analysis The Clarkson Rebuild Model - A Reason For Optimism

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely with the inclusions of Stratts and Chip in the backline that this will allow Burton to play as a bullocking free roaming mid? What do we think? Is this the nature progression for him?
He basically going to be a better version of Bontempelli.

Lol. Just noticed that too
The usual suspects melting hard at any thought of Hawthorn positivity....

They will absolutely lose their minds if/when we get on a roll in 2018.

And...
‘That’s the best part’.

The usual suspects melting hard at any thought of Hawthorn positivity....

They will absolutely lose their minds if/when we get on a roll in 2018.

And...
‘That’s the best part’.

51FD03CA-F6FC-404C-B603-8C5506E87B37.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forward rotating into mid is most likely I think this year if he even plays midfield.

Noticed a lot of posters on here are fairly bullish in their assessments of Burton moving into the forward line. I'd love to be proven wrong but what is this actually based on?

In 2016 I watched him closely when he spent time forward and he looked a little lost to me. He then trained forward last pre-season and didn't impress enough to get a game in round 1.

Noticed a lot of posters on here are fairly bullish in their assessments of Burton moving into the forward line. I'd love to be proven wrong but what is this actually based on?

In 2016 I watched him closely when he spent time forward and he looked a little lost to me. He then trained forward last pre-season and didn't impress enough to get a game in round 1.
Trained all last off season as a forward. Club have said multiple times they see him as a forward. Pretty sure they see him playing there. More high half forward than deep. I think they see him as someone like roughy or Gunston who can win that contest on the wing and then open up the game for our runners streaming forward.

Played most of his junior footy as a forward, even playing in the SANFL as a forward as a 16 year old. Knows where the goals are - just take a look at the game against Adelaide last year. He's good overhead and is a beautiful kick - he's a prodigious talent who now has his confidence back. Put him up forward and he is going to shine.

Trained all last off season as a forward. Club have said multiple times they see him as a forward. Pretty sure they see him playing there. More high half forward than deep. I think they see him as someone like roughy or Gunston who can win that contest on the wing and then open up the game for our runners streaming forward.

My point is that he trained all last off season as a forward and couldn't get a game as one, the last time I remember him playing forward was early against Collingwood in 2016 and he was moved back fairly quickly because he couldn't get near it.

I love watching him play and think he'll be a star midfielder, I just think too often we're assuming he'll slot into the forward line and perform to the same level he has in the backline

Played most of his junior footy as a forward, even playing in the SANFL as a forward as a 16 year old. Knows where the goals are - just take a look at the game against Adelaide last year. He's good overhead and is a beautiful kick - he's a prodigious talent who now has his confidence back. Put him up forward and he is going to shine.

Those goals had a lot of Grant Birchall about them

My point is that he trained all last off season as a forward and couldn't get a game as one, the last time I remember him playing forward was early against Collingwood in 2016 and he was moved back fairly quickly because he couldn't get near it.

I love watching him play and think he'll be a star midfielder, I just think too often we're assuming he'll slot into the forward line and perform to the same level he has in the backline
He went back out of necessity. I’m not saying I’d play him forward. I agree that he looks a natural charging off half back. However, absolutely everything I hear out of the club and his own mouth is that he will play forward.

Couple of match winning goals against the crows were pretty handy.

Need to remember he did no preseason in 2016 as he was still recovering from injury (why we got him as a steel) so his training to fit in the Hawthorn way was not necessarily the back ground in 2016. In 2017 - with Rough/gunston/Sicily all starting the year as forwards, Burton when he came in played back (then later in the year was joined by Gunston and Sicily)

Need to remember he did no preseason in 2016 as he was still recovering from injury (why we got him as a steel) so his training to fit in the Hawthorn way was not necessarily the back ground in 2016. In 2017 - with Rough/gunston/Sicily all starting the year as forwards, Burton when he came in played back (then later in the year was joined by Gunston and Sicily)
Sicily started the year in defence against Essendon and had a shocker.

Clarkson persisted and got Sic to believe.

Sicily started the year in defence against Essendon and had a shocker.

Clarkson persisted and got Sic to believe.
Same as in 2016 Sicily played round 1 forward and had a shocker. Immediately after the game Clarko said, don't worry mate you are playing next week.

He went on to have quite a few really good games there for the next few weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis The Clarkson Rebuild Model - A Reason For Optimism

Remove this Banner Ad

Back