Analysis The Coach – Simon 'Standard Practice' Goodwin: It's time to go (for real this time)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it's the tactics, we've got enough star players, and our next level of players are good too. We have a strong defensive strategy, so a player like McVee can come into the team and play his role really well and stand out as a find this year.

But we have a zero functioning forward strategy, so guys like Spargo, Chandler, Van Rooyen are inconsistent at best, can't play an effective role on a weekly basis, lose confidence and then just flounder. It's just crazy that we haven't got a clear, consistent and workable strategy forward of the ball after so many years of this.
I'm not we have the players anymore. May and Gawn look slightly past their best. Those 2 were arguably the most important players in the flag year.

No one else has gone to AA level since 21. Other teams have caught us

I hate listening to Goody speak as much as the next supporter but there's absolutely zero link between public speaking ability and coaching ability.

Might have no bearing on if he can coach but id be side eyeing him and snickering behind his back with some of the shit that came out of his mouth if I was playing. The same cliches would fall on deaf ears after a while.

Maybe players these days are different but speaking like some sort of android would lose you some respect even if its just subconsciously I reckon.

Last edited:

We all love taking the piss out of robo Goody so I thought I'd run him though chatgpt. My parameters were a paragraph quote from Simon Goodwin after a loss and had to include the words learnings, DNA, and brand.

"Today's loss is obviously disappointing, but we take learnings from every game we play. We pride ourselves on our DNA as a club, and that means never giving up or taking a backward step. We have a brand of footy that we want to play week in and week out, and unfortunately we weren't able to fully execute that today. But we'll go back to the drawing board and work on the areas we fell short in. Our focus now is on continuing to build and improve, and we know that if we stick to our identity as a team, we'll be back to playing our best footy in no time."

Honestly it's like a copy and paste of every bloody week, I'm laughing my arse off how accurate it is.

Might have no bearing on if he can coach but id be side eyeing him and snickering behind his back with some of the s**t that came out of his mouth if I was playing. The same cliches would fall on deaf ears after a while.

Maybe players these days are different but speaking like some sort of android would lose you some respect even if its just subconsciously I reckon.

Players would barely pay attention to his pressers. He'd be having daily conversations with each player, which is where their opinions on him would form.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Players would barely pay attention to his pressers. He'd be having daily conversations with each player, which is where their opinions on him would form.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He'd still talk to the group, I find it hard to believe he wouldnt be just as cringe at least some of the time in front of the playing group.

We all love taking the piss out of robo Goody so I thought I'd run him though chatgpt. My parameters were a paragraph quote from Simon Goodwin after a loss and had to include the words learnings, DNA, and brand.

"Today's loss is obviously disappointing, but we take learnings from every game we play. We pride ourselves on our DNA as a club, and that means never giving up or taking a backward step. We have a brand of footy that we want to play week in and week out, and unfortunately we weren't able to fully execute that today. But we'll go back to the drawing board and work on the areas we fell short in. Our focus now is on continuing to build and improve, and we know that if we stick to our identity as a team, we'll be back to playing our best footy in no time."

Honestly it's like a copy and paste of every bloody week, I'm laughing my arse off how accurate it is.

should have added incredibly hard and forward connection.

Coach GPT

Most of these comments in here would be in the 'Looney Bin' thread if they were made by another teams supporters
It does make me laugh a bit. I'm absolutely pissed off about last night but we're not sacking the flipping premiership coach lol
Even funnier when Dimmas getting brought up. 2 years after their first premiership win , at round 15, 2019, they were 7 wins and 7 losses and were even out of the 8 before coming into that round. We'd be absolutely laughing at Tigers supporters if they were asking for him to be sacked then (and some were iirc).
At that point in time, Dimma had roughly same record as Goody does now, albeit different timeline , (1 premiership win, 1 preliminary smashing loss, and they had their 3 elimination finals while we had our straight sets last year)
Idk if we're gonna do what Richmond did, but this season is still absolutely open for us.

Like I get it, the #journey has been frustrating since the 2021 and last nights game had me pulling my hair out with our shit kicking inside 50s and our flat footed forwards but jesus it's not impossible from here.

Everyone here loves to blow steam um Craig Mcraes ass but ask any Pies supporter and they reckon their form hasn't been that great over the last 6 weeks even though they're winning (reminds me of our supporters last year). And then you've got Port, and those guys have wanted Hinkleys head for flipping years. They flipping hated that bloke

Last edited:
It does make me laugh a bit. I'm absolutely pissed off about last night but we're not sacking the *ing premiership coach lol
Even funnier when Dimmas getting brought up. 2 years after their first premiership win , at round 15, 2019, they were 7 wins and 7 losses and were even out of the 8 before coming into that round. We'd be absolutely laughing at Tigers supporters if they were asking for him to be sacked then (and some were iirc).
At that point in time, Dimma had roughly same record as Goody does now, albeit different timeline , (1 premiership win, 1 preliminary smashing loss, and they had their 3 elimination finals while we had our straight sets last year)
Idk if we're gonna do what Richmond did, but this season is still absolutely open for us.

Like I get it, the #journey has been frustrating since the 2021 and last nights game had me pulling my hair out with our s**t kicking inside 50s and our flat footed forwards but jesus it's not impossible from here.

Everyone here loves to blow steam um Craig Mcraes ass but ask any Pies supporter and they reckon their form hasn't been that great over the last 6 weeks and that includes a loss to us. And then you've got Port, and those guys have wanted Hunkleys head for *ing years. They *ing hate that bloke

Adam Kingsley is my new coaching crush. So dreamy and angry :hearteyes:... the kind of guy who would scare a team into becoming good.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It does make me laugh a bit. I'm absolutely pissed off about last night but we're not sacking the *ing premiership coach lol

Like I get it, the #journey has been frustrating since the 2021 and last nights game had me pulling my hair out with our s**t kicking inside 50s and our flat footed forwards but jesus it's not impossible from here.

Everyone here loves to blow steam um Craig Mcraes ass but ask any Pies supporter and they reckon their form hasn't been that great over the last 6 weeks even though they're winning (reminds me of our supporters last year). And then you've got Port, and those guys have wanted Hinkleys head for *ing years. They *ing hated that bloke

I think it’s totally fair to be very critical of issues in our team that we’ve had since 2019. We fixed them for 2021 then suddenly reverted back to the same old shit but we had a strong defence and midfield covering over the cracks. Now those two areas have dipped slightly we look awful against any competent team.

I think it’s totally fair to be very critical of issues in our team that we’ve had since 2019. We fixed them for 2021 then suddenly reverted back to the same old s**t but we had a strong defence and midfield covering over the cracks. Now those two areas have dipped slightly we look awful against any competent team.
Yeah I agree that we have issues and that Goody isn't immune to criticism but FMD I just think the want to sack our premiership winning coach (first in 57 years) is over the top, rediculous and everyone needs to calm the **** down. That and we're still top 4 atm, and can launch from here. This is just absolutely looney Bin material and would be very similar to if the Tigers fans wanted Dimma sacked at round 15, 2019. And believe me, they also thought they had glaring issues and 2017 might've been an anomaly. Hell at this point in both careers, they were pretty much at the same point.
IDK if we'll do what Tigs did but I wanna give him the chance and not rip off his head just yet.

Now as for where the improvement comes , idk maybe we need a Director of wet weather/slippery conditions footy coach who takes over every time there's a slight hint of moisture lol

Yeah I agree that we have issues and that Goody isn't immune to criticism but FMD I just think the want to sack our premiership winning coach (first in 57 years) is over the top, rediculous and everyone needs to calm the * down. That and we're still top 4 atm, and can launch from here. This is just absolutely looney Bin material and would be very similar to if the Tigers fans wanted Dimma sacked at round 15, 2019. And believe me, they also thought they had glaring issues and 2017 might've been an anomaly. Hell at this point in both careers, they were pretty much at the same point.
IDK if we'll do what Tigs did but I wanna give him the chance and not rip off his head just yet.

Now as for where the improvement comes , idk maybe we need a Director of wet weather/slippery conditions footy coach who takes over every time there's a slight hint of moisture lol

Richmond had a worse list and lost their May equivalent to an ACL in round 1. I don’t rate him but I know he won’t be sacked this year, hell he won’t even be sacked next year unless we are bottom 6.

Since Goody took over in 2016 I’d rate the following:

2017 - fail
2018 - success
2019 - fail
2020 - fail
2021 - success
2022 - fail

2023 looks like another season below par. Obviously 2021 was the ultimate success but how long do we keep ignoring the fact the team has had the same issues for years?

Richmond had a worse list and lost their May equivalent to an ACL in round 1. I don’t rate him but I know he won’t be sacked this year, hell he won’t even be sacked next year unless we are bottom 6.

Since Goody took over in 2016 I’d rate the following:

2017 - fail
2018 - success
2019 - fail
2020 - fail
2021 - success
2022 - fail

2023 looks like another season below par. Obviously 2021 was the ultimate success but how long do we keep ignoring the fact the team has had the same issues for years?
I'm not ignoring the issues? I don't think everything's all fine and dandy I'm just willing to give Goody a shot and I think the hate is just over the top. I mean I know you don't reckon he'll get sacked but you do want him gone right?

Yeah sure, but they were still in a worse position than we are now. And at R15,2019 4 of the last 6 of Dimmas season had been 'failures' and 2019 was looking like another one. At that point , they could've been saying "Obviously 2017 was the ultimate success but how long do we keep ignoring the fact the team has had the same issues for years?".

For the record , I'm not arguing that Goody is better coach than Dimma, and I've only brought him up cos he's been mentioned a few times in the past 24 hours as someone we should get.
I'm just drawing comparisons to show how ridiculous and loony-bin-like the calls for Goodwins head is considering that they were in roughly similar positions to each other.

Yeah I agree that we have issues and that Goody isn't immune to criticism but FMD I just think the want to sack our premiership winning coach (first in 57 years) is over the top, rediculous and everyone needs to calm the * down. That and we're still top 4 atm, and can launch from here. This is just absolutely looney Bin material and would be very similar to if the Tigers fans wanted Dimma sacked at round 15, 2019. And believe me, they also thought they had glaring issues and 2017 might've been an anomaly. Hell at this point in both careers, they were pretty much at the same point.

Calling for his sacking is merely frustration which stems from the well reasoned points that schmuttt makes. It’s also not exactly the same as Richmond fans wanting Dimma Hardwick sacked halfway through 2019. Richmond were dominant in 2018 and had a bad Prelim Final, in 2019 they had an injury crisis which saw them drop 3 games in a row, however it was quite a weak year so they still had a puncher’s chance that year.

Whereas we’ve gone at about 50% for more than a year now and the issues with forward efficiency and selection integrity issues are as persistent as they’ve always been. It’s not quite, let’s sack him but no one could be blamed for having a lack of faith in him and wondering what a better coach might get out of this group.

This is gold btw
I think he probably just can't be stuffed with the media but its a part of the job so he just says mundane shit.

You watch coaching videos like the 2021 grandfinal one or that one where he ripped into the team after losing to Port in 2020, and he actually is slightly normal and shows emotion! still a weird guy though

This is gold btw
I think he probably just can't be stuffed with the media but its a part of the job so he just says mundane s**t.

You watch coaching videos like the 2021 grandfinal one or that one where he ripped into the team after losing to Port in 2020, and he actually is slightly normal and shows emotion! still a weird guy though
Look I'm no professional public speaker, but it is part of his job like it or not. I don't think he is intelligent enough to be taking the piss off the media, I actually think he believes all these mantras he spouts. And look, they are good mantras, but when you have heard them for the 100th time on a weekly basis it gets a bit bloody stale, boring, and old. And makes you question if the guy actually had any other answers or insights into coaching. This, coupled with his inflexible game style and rigid selection policy based on past glory, makes me think perhaps he just isn't a great coach.

I'm not ignoring the issues? I don't think everything's all fine and dandy I'm just willing to give Goody a shot and I think the hate is just over the top. I mean I know you don't reckon he'll get sacked but you do want him gone right?

Yeah sure, but they were still in a worse position than we are now. And at R15,2019 4 of the last 6 of Dimmas season had been 'failures' and 2019 was looking like another one. At that point , they could've been saying "Obviously 2017 was the ultimate success but how long do we keep ignoring the fact the team has had the same issues for years?".

For the record , I'm not arguing that Goody is better coach than Dimma, and I've only brought him up cos he's been mentioned a few times in the past 24 hours as someone we should get.
I'm just drawing comparisons to show how ridiculous and loony-bin-like the calls for Goodwins head is considering that they were in roughly similar positions to each other.

Do I want him gone? Yes, I think he is extremely stubborn and has pushed bad habits onto the players with this whole 'we don't need to be at our best' bullshit Gawn was spouting (You can't say its just Gawn when the team clearly plays like it). I think he has zero selection integrity and I'm starting to be very concerned about how he treats some of the younger guys when they play in the 1s (Not resting Chandler earlier, not putting Kozzy for runs on the ball, JVR not even ****ing leading for the ball anymore).

Will he go? No, and sadly I think the players love him so you'd risk a bunch of them cracking the shits if you moved him on.

Richmond were dominant in 2018 and just had one bad night in the prelim - last year we finished 2nd beating up on the bottom 10 then got embarrassed in finals. I still don't think its a good comparison at all when you factor in the Rance injury.

AFL clubs are too scared these days to make changes so we're basically in a doom spiral where we should make finals for a few years but we aren't ever going to realistically challenge again, especially with the games emphasis on ball movement becoming larger and our ball movement is regressing each season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis The Coach – Simon 'Standard Practice' Goodwin: It's time to go (for real this time)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back