Analysis The Coach – Simon 'Standard Practice' Goodwin: It's time to go (for real this time)

Remove this Banner Ad

Do I want him gone? Yes, I think he is extremely stubborn and has pushed bad habits onto the players with this whole 'we don't need to be at our best' bullshit Gawn was spouting (You can't say its just Gawn when the team clearly plays like it). I think he has zero selection integrity and I'm starting to be very concerned about how he treats some of the younger guys when they play in the 1s (Not resting Chandler earlier, not putting Kozzy for runs on the ball, JVR not even ******* leading for the ball anymore).

Will he go? No, and sadly I think the players love him so you'd risk a bunch of them cracking the shits if you moved him on.

Richmond were dominant in 2018 and just had one bad night in the prelim - last year we finished 2nd beating up on the bottom 10 then got embarrassed in finals. I still don't think its a good comparison at all when you factor in the Rance injury.

AFL clubs are too scared these days to make changes so we're basically in a doom spiral where we should make finals for a few years but we aren't ever going to realistically challenge again, especially with the games emphasis on ball movement becoming larger and our ball movement is regressing each season.
I don't think it's the exactly the same as the Richmond situation but can have similar comparisons.

I'm not even claiming Goody to be a super amazing coach or anything and I am very critical of him, I'm just willing to give him a shot.
I've said all I want and we'll agree to disagree 👍👍

Last time I had an argument with someone that went for this long I got banned from a thread on the main board lol

Last edited:
I don't think it's the exactly the same as the Richmond situation but can have similar comparisons.

I'm not even claiming Goody to be a super amazing coach or anything and I am very critical of him, I'm just willing to give him a shot.
I've said all I want and we'll agree to disagree 👍👍

Last time I had an argument with someone that went for this long I got banned from a thread on the main board lol
There’s nothing comparable to Richmond of 18. Nothing. Richmond won a final in 18 then had a terrible night. They then won two more premierships. I am not sure how they were tracking in 2019 at this point, but we have not much to hang our hat on re selection integrity, forward line structure and general effort.

The issue is that players should have been dropped earlier in the year to find form or improve their deficiencies etc, but that hasn’t happened. If we start dropping guys like Brayshaw, Spargo, ANB, Salem etc then they’ve got limited time to improve before finals.

It was mentioned that the key to Hawthorns success was a heap of improvement in the lower ranks which put pressure on the senior players to stay in form and on top of their game. Well if our VFL players have improved they aren’t getting rewarded, because our regulars aren’t doing a lot or getting better. There’s no pressure on underperforming players and there seems to be a notion that ‘we don’t have to be at our best’ is filtering through the ranks.

Round 16-23 is where you want to have a solid 22 in mind and all playing the way they need to be able to get the best out of themselves come finals.

Langdon
Brayshaw
ANB
Spargo
Pickett
Sparrow
Brayshaw
Grundy

There’s 8 players who are nowhere near good form.

I also don’t understand dropping Tomlinson as the third defender. He actually played really well against Collingwood. I guess if Smith and Petty play forward it could work, but given no Brown or McDonald anymore, then Petty has to play forward purely for aggression and size.

Honestly, the standards at Melbourne are really low and i think that’s coming through Gawn as well. This is where your captain is doing something to get your group up and setting the bar as high as can be. Thinking of dynastic teams, you had leaders like Voss, Selwood, Ling, Chapman, Hodge, Mitchell, Cotchin. Gawn doesn’t exude any of those qualities those guys do with regards to lifting things.

It does make me laugh a bit. I'm absolutely pissed off about last night but we're not sacking the *ing premiership coach lol
Even funnier when Dimmas getting brought up. 2 years after their first premiership win , at round 15, 2019, they were 7 wins and 7 losses and were even out of the 8 before coming into that round. We'd be absolutely laughing at Tigers supporters if they were asking for him to be sacked then (and some were iirc).
At that point in time, Dimma had roughly same record as Goody does now, albeit different timeline , (1 premiership win, 1 preliminary smashing loss, and they had their 3 elimination finals while we had our straight sets last year)
Idk if we're gonna do what Richmond did, but this season is still absolutely open for us.

Like I get it, the #journey has been frustrating since the 2021 and last nights game had me pulling my hair out with our s**t kicking inside 50s and our flat footed forwards but jesus it's not impossible from here.

Everyone here loves to blow steam um Craig Mcraes ass but ask any Pies supporter and they reckon their form hasn't been that great over the last 6 weeks even though they're winning (reminds me of our supporters last year). And then you've got Port, and those guys have wanted Hinkleys head for *ing years. They *ing hated that bloke
The difference there is the group. They had two elite forwards, a superstar in Martin who could rip a game open (can Petracca do that?) a backline that was sound enough, and plenty of guys playing their roles.

We are going to have to find a forward line, stop relying on May as our number one defender, and start transitioning the ball like Richmond could to a forward line that works.

There’s nothing comparable to Richmond of 18. Nothing. Richmond won a final in 18 then had a terrible night. They then won two more premierships. I am not sure how they were tracking in 2019 at this point, but we have not much to hang our hat on re selection integrity, forward line structure and general effort.
I'm not talking about 2018, I'm talking 2019 (18months after their first premiership, like us right now) as Richmond were currently in a worse position then we are right now at round 15 (and were 9th coming into it), and was only just drawing comparisons to Dimma, who was in roughly the same position at this point in his career as Goody is right now. And we'd be laughing at them for wanting him sacked.

All I'm saying is all is not lost , and we should calm down a bit, that's all.

Please just read my other posts, I'm not going into this again

Last edited:
I'm not talking about 2018, I'm talking 2019 (18months after there first premiership, like us right now) as Richmond were currently in a worse position then we are right now at round 15 (and were 9th coming into it), and was only just drawing comparisons to Dimma, who was in roughly the same position at this point in his career as Goody is right now. And we'd be laughing at them for wanting him sacked.

Well we were in a similar position last year and it ended in tears. I am not sure this year is any different. It’s not lost, but not much is changing. Collingwood and Port are very good sides, but honestly nothing than we can’t handle if we were getting our act together. There’s enough talent in our top echelon to be getting us up for flag two in three years.

It’s not like we are coming up against peak Hawthorn, Richmond or Geelong of old.

There’s no way he gets sacked. None.

What about if he got caught doing lines on Kate Roffey's desk then crashed his car into 6 parked cars when leaving the AAMI Park and flipped off the cops when they tried to pull him over?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not talking about 2018, I'm talking 2019 (18months after their first premiership, like us right now) as Richmond were currently in a worse position then we are right now at round 15 (and were 9th coming into it), and was only just drawing comparisons to Dimma, who was in roughly the same position at this point in his career as Goody is right now. And we'd be laughing at them for wanting him sacked.

after 14 games
2019 Richmond: 8 wins
2020 Richmond: 9.5 wins
2022 Geelong: 10 wins
2023 Us: 9 wins.

Absolutely it's not all lost but my biggest criticism is the lack of development in the game plan, just trotting out the same crap as we did last year- no innovation, no risk just outdated, boring crap.

What about if he got caught doing lines on Kate Roffey's desk then crashed his car into 6 parked cars when leaving the AAMI Park and flipped off the cops when they tried to pull him over?
That happens you extend the great man, for sure!!!!

I gotta say I got such a thing for Roffey, would love a night doing lines with her!! Goddamn!!!

That happens you extend the great man, for sure!!!!

I gotta say I got such a thing for Roffey, would love a night doing lines with her!! Goddamn!!!

She looks like the female version of the cowardly lion in the wizard of oz.

Sound out Clarko (and Dimma)
stan marsh GIF by South Park

Kicked sub 80 points 5 weeks in a row but Simon was ‘pleased’ with the first 3 quarters on Thursday night. Yeah really giving the fans what they want mate, I’d actually rather watch most of the league play than see us butcher 60 F50 entries.
This is a good point. I've actually enjoyed watching other teams much more than us this past 6 weeks. Pies, Crows, Port, Suns, Lions, Giants, Tigers, Hawks have all been enjoyable to watch. I'm all for defence. It wins premierships, but we're just not as good at defending or pressuring as we were 2 years ago. We have to find a way to open up and be more creative and daring. It's just safe predictable rubbish that leaves us in no man's land. I'd rather see us take chances and run at the opposition and lose by whatever than play how we are and lose by a few goals.

All I know is that when Hinkley was called out by tredrea, Hinkley went to the bench and Carr stayed in the box to coach.
From a Port supporter I'm in a pm with.

Takes me back to 2021 🥲

Have seen enough. It’s not the indifferent W/L record, it’s the obstinant refusal to play to the strengths of the list. Goodwin Out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis The Coach – Simon 'Standard Practice' Goodwin: It's time to go (for real this time)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back