Analysis The Coach – Simon 'Standard Practice' Goodwin: It's time to go (for real this time)

Remove this Banner Ad

Strange not to wait until the finals were over.

Finals campaign a success? Extend!

Finals campaign a failure? Wait until mid next year and see how things are tracking.

Finals campaign a failure and tracking badly next year? Job under pressure.

I do however look forward to the years of learnings ahead of us.

Well summed up Daniel.

A Demon Spirit embiggens the smallest man

"He truly embodies demon spirit"

ok m8

Vomit Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Fully agree with this. No one is poaching him, just wait and see what happens. I don't want us to go down the Bevo route.
He's a much more consistent coach than Bevo TBF.

The contract will have a 6 month clause anyway, as they all do. Good to see them supporting him, we've been hit pretty hard with injuries this year and he's been very adaptable (something that has always been a knock on him).

Oliver, May, Lever, Gawn, Petty, Fritsch, Salem have all missed significant spells this year, and the team has managed.

Fully agree with this. No one is poaching him, just wait and see what happens. I don't want us to go down the Bevo route.
He has three more top four finishes than Bevo

The contract will have a 6 month clause anyway, as they all do. Good to see them supporting him, we've been hit pretty hard with injuries this year and he's been very adaptable (something that has always been a knock on him).

Oliver, May, Lever, Gawn, Petty, Fritsch, Salem have all missed significant spells this year, and the team has managed.
I read this only applies to clubs that are being assisted by the AFL which we aren't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been one of the critical ones at times – when we're playing dour football and looking a rung below the top teams, there can certainly be some thoughts that he's 'wasting' the list we have assembled.

That being said, you can't really argue with 68/70 rounds in the top four over a three-year period. Personally, I would've waited to see how the finals played out, but I get why they wanted to get it out of the way.
Wasting the list? Because we only have 1 premiership so far? A wasted list would be more like the Bullfrogs now although I am one of the ones who doesn't love their list

Premierships are bloody hard to win, just because we have seen a couple of dynasties over the last 15 years (arguably due to expansion) people start to think they are the norm and not the exception

Eseendon in the early 00's probably had a better team than ours and only won 1 premiership. Ditto West Coast in the mid 00's.

The same cases could be made for Collingwood (1 premiership) in the early 10's' St Kilda the same time (0 premierships).

Do I want to see another premiership or 2 with this list? Sure do but there is a lot of luck to winning them

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Wasting the list? Because we only have 1 premiership so far? A wasted list would be more like the Bullfrogs now although I am one of the ones who doesn't love their list

Premierships are bloody hard to win, just because we have seen a couple of dynasties over the last 15 years (arguably due to expansion) people start to think they are the norm and not the exception

Eseendon in the early 00's probably had a better team than ours and only won 1 premiership. Ditto West Coast in the mid 00's.

The same cases could be made for Collingwood (1 premiership) in the early 00's' St Kildat the same time (0 premierships).

Do I want to see another premiership or 2 with this list? Sure do but there is a lot of luck to winning them

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Agree Stinger.

If he hadn’t won the 2021 premiership I’d be on board with those worrying about the spectre of two straight sets exits. But the fact is he did coach us to that flag and that buys you extra brownie points. It just does.

In truth it’s a fair damn effort to have made the top four this year given the glaring forward line issues and the half season long injury to Clarry. Winning a second flag this September would be a monumental effort but to be honest I suspect we might fall just short. Just not enough front half firepower for three tough finals wins but hell, who knows? At the very least we’re going to go out there and be highly competitive because that’s what we’ve been for almost every game this season. Bloody hard to play against.

Goodwin will get to add a few shiny new toys to the list this off season, courtesy of the Jackson trade and maybe by bringing our 2024 first rounder forward to use now. Let’s load up and see what he can do with this team in seasons 2024/25/26 as we press on for more premiership glory.

I see a lot more Chris Scott than Bevo in Goodwin’s run at this stage. Like Scott (who also had his detractors among Geelong supporters), Goody is achieving consistency in making the top four and has created an atmosphere where players enjoy being there, as well as a place where recruits from other clubs see us as an attractive destination to be traded to. That kind of stability is incredibly important - it eventually bore fruit for Geelong last year when Scott won his second cup at the helm.

Not saying we should wait 11 years between drinks like the Cats chose to, but 2026 - five years after the 2021 flag - is a more than fair time frame for Goodwin to have this group winning multiple premierships.

If it all goes south during that time, well that’s life. No-one’s perfect and there’s inherent risk in everything. But the numbers don’t lie. 68 weeks out of the past 70 inside the top four would be the envy of at least 14 other clubs in the competition. You don’t achieve a coaching result like that by luck or by chance.

Last edited:
Top 4 three times in a row. Drought breaking flag. Loved by the players, club and coaches.

Why TF would you leave him hanging in the last year of his contract after 7 years of knowing what he's like at his job?

It's the easiest most straight forward decision the club could make, and they've only extended it for 2 years.

Bizarre that people here think it would be good for us to have him and the club uncertain about the future going into next season.

Seems to me like a lot of re-signings are driven by a desire to get a positive media story out there at what somebody thinks is the right time.

He was already signed for next year. Post-finals would be the logical time to extend his contract if that was warranted.

If we were to go out in straight sets for the second year in a row this will be an interesting looking decision. With this list not making a prelim is a failure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis The Coach – Simon 'Standard Practice' Goodwin: It's time to go (for real this time)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back