Analysis The Coach – Simon 'Standard Practice' Goodwin: It's time to go (for real this time)

Remove this Banner Ad

He's proud, we played the game the right way apparently.

32 more inside 50's and the opposition only kicked 60 points and we couldn't win, its ****ing mental to try and wrap your head around how we lost that. You have to be historically inefficient to find a way to lose that game, like seriously special.

But its the right way. Historical inefficiency will lead us to greatness. Keep the faith guys.

He's proud, we played the game the right way apparently.

32 more inside 50's and the opposition only kicked 60 points and we couldn't win, its ******* mental to try and wrap your head around how we lost that. You have to be historically inefficient to find a way to lose that game, like seriously special.

But its the right way. Historical inefficiency will lead us to greatness. Keep the faith guys.

Any normal coach would be embarrassed by those figures and to not win. Suggests endeavour is there but structures are horrible - which is an indictment on the coaching staff.

How many times do we have to watch the same show on repeat? Going missing for large periods in important games - then dominating but not capitalising. Yawn.

I cant for the life me understand we clubs feel pressured to announce contract extensions before finals. Finals are where a head coaches nearly million dollar salaries are ultimately justified or found wanting. Goodwin's now faces two consecutive straight sets departures - the extension then will seem ridiculous. Like Hinkley's at Port likely will as well.

It's seemed like every since Lyon ditched the Saints for Freo over a decade ago club's have become spooked about their Head Coach's being poached. It's time for clubs to take the power back - contract extensions should not to precede performance KPIs

Last edited:
Hope Yze gets the job at Richmond and it gives us a chance to shake up the rest of the assistants.

Goodwin isn't going anywhere but we need some new ideas in the coaches box badly.

Hope Yze gets the job at Richmond and it gives us a chance to shake up the rest of the assistants.

Goodwin isn't going anywhere but we need some new ideas in the coaches box badly.

Who says Yze isn't putting forward new ideas though? He was the on in preseason talking about mixing up the midfield more and putting Kozzy through there - We barely saw that last night.

Who says Yze isn't putting forward new ideas though? He was the on in preseason talking about mixing up the midfield more and putting Kozzy through there - We barely saw that last night.
I mean if the assistants are giving ideas Goodwin isn't listening to there's not much point in them being there anyway.

Trac permanently forward was the obvious move but didn't do it. Move Riv or Spaz onto the ball. Hell even Salem who does nothing! But no, he doesn't make any moves when there were clear issues in the forward half. Even put Tmac back and try May forward FFS. Do something Simon!! Try Bowey across half forward to give us a decent ball user. Something Simon!!!

Trac permanently forward was the obvious move but didn't do it. Move Riv or Spaz onto the ball. Hell even Salem who does nothing! But no, he doesn't make any moves when there were clear issues in the forward half. Even put Tmac back and try May forward FFS. Do something Simon!! Try Bowey across half forward to give us a decent ball user. Something Simon!!!
Goodwin said losing Brayshaw meant they had to keep Trac in the midfield more than they wanted

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Goodwin said losing Brayshaw meant they had to keep Trac in the midfield more than they wanted

I don't give a flying f*** what Goody says. He got it wrong clearly. Laurie as sub f***** us hard. Poor choice. He had 5 other blokes who can run through the middle to replace Gus that would allow Trac to play forward. Probably would have kicked 1.8 with 3 OOTF, but enough to win us the game. We don't need Viney, Trac AND Oliver at stoppages or centre bounces. Oliver gets most clearances anyway, or we play to lose stoppages and win the Rebound. That's a cop out. He coached very poorly last night. 32 more inside 50s, yet lose. Wtf!?

I don't give a flying f*** what Goody says. He got it wrong clearly. Laurie as sub f***** us hard. Poor choice. He had 5 other blokes who can run through the middle to replace Gus that would allow Trac to play forward. Probably would have kicked 1.8 with 3 OOTF, but enough to win us the game. We don't need Viney, Trac AND Oliver at stoppages or centre bounces. Oliver gets most clearances anyway, or we play to lose stoppages and win the Rebound. That's a cop out. He coached very poorly last night. 32 more inside 50s, yet lose. Wtf!?

Tbf I don't really give a flying **** about your opinion either

Goodwins coaching made Fritsch kick out of bounds on the fall from a set shot and also made Kossie spray a few gettable shots too

He'll it was probably Goodwins coaching that got Brayshaw ko'ed

His fault for Petty and Melksham getting injured too. Also can't 100% confirm but pretty sure it was his fault it rained too

Tbf I don't really give a flying * about your opinion either

Goodwins coaching made Fritsch kick out of bounds on the fall from a set shot and also made Kossie spray a few gettable shots too

His fault for Petty and Melksham getting injured too. Also can't 100% confirm but pretty sure it was his fault it rained too

Mate, that's such a cop out. Goodwin had plenty of options to try changing momentum, to give us more options down forward, to pull guys out of the F50, to inject something different into the midfield, to select a better sub. Yeah smart a$$, he can't kick the ball for the players, but he did f*** all to help our chances in game last night. Poorly coached. I couldn't care if you like the opinion or not. Look around. I'm not the only one saying he had a shocker. Our players skill errors have been a problem for the last 2 years. It's nothing new..

Tbf I don't really give a flying * about your opinion either

Game day coaching is a thing. We doubled their inside 50s and couldn’t kick a score.

Game day coaching is a thing. We doubled their inside 50s and couldn’t kick a score.
Exactly. We know how poor our execution is of our players. But there were clear moves he could've and should've made that he didn't. Proved very costly. I don't think he's a very good game day coach.

I mean, we had the game on our terms for almost 3 quarters against the top of the table side.

I didn't think this was Goody's best game of coaching, but it wasn't terrible. We followed the same game plan that has largely worked for us all year: absorb early pressure then over run them in the 2nd half.

The slow start is frustrating but i'd take finishing fast over finishing slow. We created enough chances but butchered them. The thing that stung was it was some of our most skillful players that you can normally rely on.

Collingwood's defense in the 2nd half was much better than I thought it would be too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean, we had the game on our terms for almost 3 quarters against the top of the table side.

I didn't think this was Goody's best game of coaching, but it wasn't terrible. We followed the same game plan that has largely worked for us all year: absorb early pressure then over run them in the 2nd half.

The slow start is frustrating but i'd take finishing fast over finishing slow. We created enough chances but butchered them. The thing that stung was it was some of our most skillful players that you can normally rely on.

Collingwood's defense in the 2nd half was much better than I thought it would be too.
but thats the point, if thats what "our terms" look like, then they're ****ing crap terms.

If you're playing your terms for 3 quarters and never look like winning, obviously the game plan sucks.

Too slow to react tonight. That one is on him.
Didn't change a single thing, didn't open the forward line or give us any chance. Stuck with the same go long and pressure plan and hoped it would work

In Glen Bartlett and his missus’ legal barbs aimed at Goody they pot his IQ and claim Alan Richardson said Simon “feels uncomfortable around intelligent people.”

Observing his slow-on-the-uptake coaching and inability/unwillingness to make moves the entire footy watching public can see are obvious, makes me wonder if they are at least partially right.

Sub TMac out.
Trac forward.

It was painfully obvious early on but from about 10 minutes into the third quarter it was criminal that he didn’t swing this change.

I’m not buying the “couldn’t do it coz Brayshaw was injured” palaver. Sparrow, Rivers (who had a poor night in his position), Pickett (same) could all have been swung onto the ball.

Cerebral, clever coaches wouldn’t have allowed themselves to remain stuck in the mud like that. It’s called a whiteboard with ‘moveable magnets’ for a reason.

Poor showing from Goodwin last night.

but thats the point, if thats what "our terms" look like, then they're ******* crap terms.

If you're playing your terms for 3 quarters and never look like winning, obviously the game plan sucks.
I'm with you on that but don't agree that we never looked like winning. We generated enough chances to win but didn't take them.

The lack of dare to move the footy and change angles going forward was really frustrating. I remember one clever kick from Hunter on the far side that went back into the corridor and opened the play up and that was about it.

We were too scared of the Pies rebound for too much of the game and the coaches need to wear that.

In Glen Bartlett and his missus’ legal barbs aimed at Goody they pot his IQ and claim Alan Richardson said Simon “feels uncomfortable around intelligent people.”

Observing his slow-on-the-uptake coaching and inability/unwillingness to make moves the entire footy watching public can see are obvious, makes me wonder if they are at least partially right.

Sub TMac out.
Trac forward.

It was painfully obvious early on but from about 10 minutes into the third quarter it was criminal that he didn’t swing this change.

I’m not buying the “couldn’t do it coz Brayshaw was injured” palaver. Sparrow, Rivers (who had a poor night in his position), Pickett (same) could all have been swung onto the ball.

Cerebral, clever coaches wouldn’t have allowed themselves to remain stuck in the mud like that. It’s called a whiteboard with ‘moveable magnets’ for a reason.

They couldn't sub Tmac out cos the sub had already been used straight after Brayshaw. I guess you put Tmac on the bench a bit longer but then you're basically playing one interchange down.

But also Bailey Laurie just isn't a good sun option so there's that

Still so easy to play Petracca up forward, getting a shitton of inside 50s doesn't mean anything if nobodys marking and kicking goals so you may as well actually try putting him there.

Sub TMac out.
Trac forward.

We didn't have a sub to make? Unless you're saying just put Tmac on the bench and lose a rotation, which I'm not sure would have been wise.

I agree Trac should have had more time forward of the ball - but with Viney going missing and no Brayshaw, we needed some drive in there which Trac did deliver in the 2nd half.

We didn't have a sub to make? Unless you're saying just put Tmac on the bench and lose a rotation, which I'm not sure would have been wise.

I agree Trac should have had more time forward of the ball - but with Viney going missing and no Brayshaw, we needed some drive in there which Trac did deliver in the 2nd half.

Correction re sub. You’re right there. Just get TMac out of that forward zone. Bench him, whatever. It was like watching the Tin Man 🤖 trying to do ballet last night.

I maintain that Goodwin is slow to react and uncreative in the box.

Also, Greg Stafford. What drugs was he on pumping up TMac to play last night?

Sub TMac out.
Trac forward.

When you are the team that is behind, clearly things need to change. He really made no change other than replace Gus with Trac. Now that's understandable to get a senior body in their to end the first quarter. But our forwardline didn't function at any stage last night. So you'd think, moving our best player(arguably) who can dominate forward and at least create opportunities, would be the #1 thing to do. What Trac does, is attract the ball. And unlike most of our other forwards, he wins it more often than not. There was a multitude of things he could've tried, but didn't do anything. Again, when you are the side coming from behind, things need to change, especially against a top 2 side like Collingwood. Really frustrating the players skill errors, but even more frustrating having a coach who sat on his hands and had his fingers crossed the whole night.

Really frustrating the players skill errors, but even more frustrating having a coach who sat on his hands and had his fingers crossed the whole night.

Especially in the club’s biggest MCG game in 23 years. Premiership hopes dropped from probably a 35% chance to 10% with last night’s winnable failure.

Especially in the club’s biggest MCG game in 23 years. Premiership hopes dropped from probably a 35% chance to 10% with last night’s winnable failure.
You give us 10% chance? Wowee. That's generous tbh. We have to beat Carlton, Brisbane at the Gabba, then the Pies at the G who have the wood over us completely and Nick Daicos will be back. Yeah, I'm saying 0% chance with our forward half issues and a coach who sits on his hands all game. It's over. Already looking forward to the draft

I'm not so much mad at the coaching last night as mad as the coaching for 2 years. A bunch of us here - who were probably deemed too negative all year by some - have been calling it since the early rounds that our game style hasn't improved or changed anywhere near enough.

It's easy to get sucked in to kicking 120 points in free flowing home and away footy but the reality is we remain the kings of burning the footy going inside 50 and it was always likely to burn us in a final.

Goody just isn't a tactical coach. His weird obsession with getting maximum number of inside 50s smacks of just latching onto a measure that suits our personnel because any side with Gawn, Trac, Oliver, Viney is going to pump the ball inside 50 regularly.

Obviously he deserves a lot of credit for getting us a flag in 21 but bloody hell it's frustrating watching this ultra-talented team going through two consecutive seasons without fixing our most obvious issue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis The Coach – Simon 'Standard Practice' Goodwin: It's time to go (for real this time)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back