Analysis The Coach – Simon 'Standard Practice' Goodwin: It's time to go (for real this time)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah. It's like a Hollywood studio milking a surprise hit for all it's worth by rehashing the script.

We're only up to Demon Spirit 3. We've still got Demon Spirit 4, 5 and 6 to look forward to!
Hitting MCU areas - a fun early release (2018) an amazing climax (2021) now just rehashing the formula despite everyone being sick of it and moving on to newer things.

Honestly think that the board extended him thinking that if we won it all they'd look like geniuses or if we fell apart they just wanted to avoid the spotlight on the club next year.

They’re clearly terrified of any potential turmoil off field. It looks so bad now, we are 24 months away minimum from a coaching change.

Pickett was BOG in round 1 with 19 disposals and 4.1. He sliced the Dogs up and it looked like we’d another layer to our midfield. Barely saw him around the ball for the rest of the season, his form went off a cliff and he seemed to be the sole target inside 50 trying to beat 3 defenders heaps.

Shit coaching.

Any other professional sporting code in the world Goodwin is sacked today..He would have been sacked in plenty this time last year as well, and we've just re-signed him. Great s**t.

Yep. I don’t get it either. Out in straight sets again. Dees have an underrated list, in that I think it’s the best list in the league by quite a margin (but isn’t talked about as it is). Yet, outside of the 21 flag, it continues to just do enough. By the time Goodwin is given the flick the window will be closing. Why they don’t capitalize in their premiership window is beyond me.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yep. I don’t get it either. Out in straight sets again. Dees have an underrated list, in that I think it’s the best list in the league by quite a margin (but isn’t talked about as it is). Yet, outside of the 21 flag, it continues to just do enough. By the time Goodwin is given the flick the window will be closing. Why they don’t capitalize in their premiership window is beyond me.

Simple answer is that the club is not ruthless and doesn't demand success. Yes they broke the premiership drought - but since then all the signs have been of complacency. Like everyone I love Max Gawn but even he made a comment earlier in the year, after a poor loss where we again coughed up a decent lead (think it was against Port) - "well we're top 4 and a lot of teams would take that''

Making the top 4 means absolutely nothing without the important next step of actually winning finals.

At a serious and ruthless club, Goodwin would have been put on notice before last years finals capitulation

And never would have been extended before finals this year, when it was very clear based on the season that a similar thing was going to happen

It's the same thing at Port, any semblance of form in the H&A form and the board drops its pants and put's the coach's job security before the club. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Melbourne and Port are looking absolutely foolish extended these two coaches, both with a history of inexplicable failure in finals (Goodwin at least has the flag yes)

To paraphrase a meme
"You keep saying we have more learnings, but where are yours? I don't see them"

But yes we do speak of the learnings but goody seems to not learn to fix the things that constantly undo us

Mate we absolutely do no have the best list in the league.

We have one good key defender and an interceptor with 0 depth.

An incredibly one dimensional and thin midfield with an all time great ruck

One of the worst forward lines in the league

Brisbane have everything we have except a Trac and Gawn, but they have guys like Mcluggage they we certainly don't have

Mate we absolutely do no have the best list in the league.

We have one good key defender and an interceptor with 0 depth.

An incredibly one dimensional and thin midfield with an all time great ruck

One of the worst forward lines in the league

Brisbane have everything we have except a Trac and Gawn, but they have guys like Mcluggage they we certainly don't have
Carlton have a much more balanced list and have underperformed for years, GWS have always had a very good list and finally appear to have a coach that actually knows what to do with it.

I'd say our list is probably 5-6th best right now. Going to need to add a lot more to stay competitive. We have the opportunity this off-season so we've got to use it.

If we get this off-season right and change the gameplan and end up falling out of the top 4 next year I actually wouldn't be super worried as I think it could be what's needed to get us actually contending again.

If we don't change things up and scrape into the top 4 again I'd be much more concerned as it would feel like we're just delaying the inevitable.

Carlton have a much more balanced list and have underperformed for years, GWS have always had a very good list and finally appear to have a coach that actually knows what to do with it.

I'd say our list is probably 5-6th best right now. Going to need to add a lot more to stay competitive. We have the opportunity this off-season so we've got to use it.

If we get this off-season right and change the gameplan and end up falling out of the top 4 next year I actually wouldn't be super worried as I think it could be what's needed to get us actually contending again.

If we don't change things up and scrape into the top 4 again I'd be much more concerned as it would feel like we're just delaying the inevitable.
Yep I said this at the start of the year and for the most part got howled down for it.

We have a very top heavy midfield, 3 stars ( Gawn Oliver Trac ) then alot of crap underneath. Collingwood, Brisbane and Port have better more dynamic midfields. Carlton gotta be in the argument as well

Back 6 outside May and Rivers is very meh. But like I said at the start of the year I'll happily say we have a top 6 back line but it's not the best in the league.

Forward 6 is atrocious really by AFL standards.

I'd have to do a seriously deep dive to properly number them but I'd say we are struggling to hang onto calling it a top 4 list. If we don't pull some magic out with these picks we are rooted. That's why I changed my tune on the Reid thing, one player doesn't help us at all

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep I said this at the start of the year and for the most part got howled down for it.

We have a very top heavy midfield, 3 stars ( Gawn Oliver Trac ) then alot of crap underneath. Collingwood, Brisbane and Port have better more dynamic midfields. Carlton gotta be in the argument as well

Back 6 outside May and Rivers is very meh. But like I said at the start of the year I'll happily say we have a top 6 back line but it's not the best in the league.

Forward 6 is atrocious really by AFL standards.

I'd have to do a seriously deep dive to properly number them but I'd say we are struggling to hang onto calling it a top 4 list. If we don't pull some magic out with these picks we are rooted. That's why I changed my tune on the Reid thing, one player doesn't help us at all
When people say we've gotten complacent off the back of a flag I think this where it's actually true. Our last two off-seasons have been absolutley crap and the list has really gotten worse since 2021.

We lost Jackson and tried to force lighting to strike twice by getting Grundy which didn't work. Other than that we've only added JVR, Hunter and McVee to our 22 since then. Rivers the only player who has genuinely improved. The bottom half of our best 22 is pretty ordinary and you can't expect your best players to keep getting better so it has to come from somewhere else. There's a reason no club has ever won a flag with the exact same team.

That's where the 'golden list' has been wasted.

When people say we've gotten complacent off the back of a flag I think this where it's actually true. Our last two off-seasons have been absolutley crap and the list has really gotten worse since 2021.

We lost Jackson and tried to force lighting to strike twice by getting Grundy which didn't work. Other than that we've only added JVR, Hunter and McVee to our 22 since then. Rivers the only player who has genuinely improved. The bottom half of our best 22 is pretty ordinary and you can't expect your best players to keep getting better so it has to come from somewhere else. There's a reason no club has ever won a flag with the exact same team.

That's where the 'golden list' has been wasted.
Yep if you're not getting better your getting worse and apart from Hunter we've added stuff all to the team. Who was our big trade in after the flag? Luke Dunstan? Tigers got Tom Lynch after a premiership, we lost Luke Jackson. We didn't capitalize when we had the chance and now we might have to take a step back to go forward. If the club was ruthless we'd trade out Grundy, Salem, Harmes and try and get some picks in for a shot at 25/26 cause next year ain't our year.

Yep if you're not getting better your getting worse and apart from Hunter we've added stuff all to the team. Who was our big trade in after the flag? Luke Dunstan? Tigers got Tom Lynch after a premiership, we lost Luke Jackson. We didn't capitalize when we had the chance and now we might have to take a step back to go forward. If the club was ruthless we'd trade out Grundy, Salem, Harmes and try and get some picks in for a shot at 25/26 cause next year ain't our year.
Totally agree. I know it's unpopular round here but I'd also throw up Oliver for trade as well.

Totally agree. I know it's unpopular round here but I'd also throw up Oliver for trade as well.
If we traded Oliver we'd get 2 top 10 picks. I'd absolutely do that right now. He's just not a player we need. He's just a better version of something we have already

You know when you get a laugh react from the troll you've said something that must make sense

Nah champ, just love your shallow mad as hell takes at everything.

Who exactly did you expect us to get in that trade period? It was a massive fizzer. We had a crack at Cerra but he wanted the $$$ that we didn't have. We had to trade future picks to get back into the draft and took JVR, Howes and Woey.

Also, the Tigers got Lynch as a free agent after missing out on a flag. Which gun free agent did we miss out on in 2021 that could have come to us? And given the list we had at the time, with us having to pay overs initially to attract players given we were rubbish at the time, how much salary cap room did we have to go after a $1mil forward like the Tigers?

You just love to rant and rave and not look at the actual context behind all this stuff.

Hypothetical but say Adelaide trade 9 and 23 and 50 for pick 4 from GC, then their future first and 20 for pick 6 to GWS and we traded Oliver for 4 and 6 and we got to hit the draft table with 4/5/6 and 13 We'd have a better team going forward than just Oliver.

It's all just hypothetical crap but that would help us more than one guy

Hypothetical but say Adelaide trade 9 and 23 and 50 for pick 4 from GC, then their future first and 20 for pick 6 to GWS and we traded Oliver for 4 and 6 and we got to hit the draft table with 4/5/6 and 13 We'd have a better team going forward than just Oliver.

It's all just hypothetical crap but that would help us more than one guy
That would be great. As you say, never gunna happen but imagine the talent we could get with those picks. Would set us up for years.

Not here to troll.
Did Goodwin give anything on the thinking on Schache as sub?
I kind of understand how he didn’t get game time because of how the game played out but his selection at all is a head scratcher.
Yes. He has said it was cover for Gawn who had a broken toe. Not going with Grundy probably shows that the club were secretly p**sed about him meeting with other clubs. Grundy would have been the more obvious choice as sub if this was the reasoning.

That would be great. As you say, never gunna happen but imagine the talent we could get with those picks. Would set us up for years.
I bet the same people suggesting we trade Oliver for picks, are the same people who say draft picks are extremely hit and miss.

There's no chance you'd trade a player of Oliver's standing at his peak against his will. No chance. Would be the dumbest move that any club has ever made. And for speculative picks?? Wtf!? Can't imagine that sitting well with any player present or future at the club knowing our culture is to trade away our best player against their will for some young unproven kids.

There is overreaction to a loss, then there is this. There's probably only 2-3 players in the comp where I'd even contemplate this move, and none of them would ever be in reality. 2 years ago we're all praising Oliver for his ability to break away from.stoppages etc. I think coaching has a lot to do with how he plays. He's won the coaches award 2 years running. He's a fn contested machine who is capable and shown us more to his game. How about the coaches unlock that again instead of trading him away for some picks that may or may not work out.

Get the right people and structure around Clarry and he can have more games like the Sydney round 3 game and not just slamming it on the boot for territory.

I don't think you trade out one of the most prolific ball winners ever for some picks. You should definitely think about how to get the most out of him though.

Analysis The Coach – Simon 'Standard Practice' Goodwin: It's time to go (for real this time)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back