Analysis The Coach – Simon 'Standard Practice' Goodwin: It's time to go (for real this time)

Remove this Banner Ad

He coached like garbage in the finals and his selection were even worse.

Why the hell would you go with 2 key defenders rather than 3 for the Pies final when it was proven all year that we lose games when we have a smaller defence and blokes like Hibberd have to make up the size. Think of the Freo and Essendon losses.

Then sure enough McStay kicks 2 crucial goals in the 3rd quarter. One contested mark on our key defensive powerhouse duo of McVee and Rivers, the other an uncontested mark with no defender in the same postcode as McStay.

Why couldn't Goodwin get his players firing from the opening bounce of the Pies final. Why were we down 9-2 in ground ball gets, -10 in contested possessions and 7-0 down in inside 50's before the Maynard hit on Gus. Of course the apologists will claim that Brayshaw going down was the sole reason we lost.

Then the next week why would you play a sub in the Carlton final that you had no intention of playing while the oppo's sub played a key role in their winning goal?

Also, why would you drop Tomlinson after a career best performance on Kings Birthday and sure enough proceed to lose the following week.

Lastly, why did we go 0-6 in wet weather games. Is that not on the coach?

The happy clappers will give him a job for life for the flag none off us got to see but he's not above criticism IMO.
Tomlinson is a spud mate. he's never the answer to anything.

I thought the response to the Maynard hit was embarrassingly soft. I'll never forgive the club for doing nothing in that moment. Even for Viney it was pretty weak.

From round 1 2021 to round 23 2023 we didn’t lose a game with the May/Lever/Tomlinson combo. Something like a 16-0 record.

Sure Tomlinson isn’t Tom Stewart or Jacob Weitering but he fits our structure and allows Lever to play less one on one which is a relative weakness of his.

With Goodwin’s selection policy circus Tomo loses continuity and therefore confidence.

Hopefully Turner is the long term replacement for Tomlinson.

From round 1 2021 to round 23 2023 we didn’t lose a game with the May/Lever/Tomlinson combo. Something like a 16-0 record.

Sure Tomlinson isn’t Tom Stewart or Jacob Weitering but he fits our structure and allows Lever to play less one on one which is a relative weakness of his.

With Goodwin’s selection policy circus Tomo loses continuity and therefore confidence.

Hopefully Turner is the long term replacement for Tomlinson.
yeah, I dont really care for records. It's like saying 'we beat the pies without Oliver'. Yet he's one of the greatest dees in history. So records mean very little. Tomlinson just lacks speed and his decision making is highly suspect. He's ahead of Tom Mcdonald though.

yeah I would've liked to see Daniel Turner more last year but he seems to be constantly injured.

yeah, I dont really care for records. It's like saying 'we beat the pies without Oliver'. Yet he's one of the greatest dees in history. So records mean very little. Tomlinson just lacks speed and his decision making is highly suspect. He's ahead of Tom Mcdonald though.

yeah I would've liked to see Daniel Turner more last year but he seems to be constantly injured.
You don't care, But you will use records to point it out to show how bad we are without Oliver
factually incorrect.

Round 11: Lost to Freo
Round 14: Lost to Geelong
Round 15: Lost to GWS
Round 21: Played horrendous against North. Worst game in a decade.

We had a good win against Collingwood no doubt. We scraped over the line against Carlton before they were any good and stole a game late against Brisbane.
This means very little

I thought the response to the Maynard hit was embarrassingly soft. I'll never forgive the club for doing nothing in that moment. Even for Viney it was pretty weak.
Don’t forget that there was a preliminary final appearance and potentially grand final on the line for anyone who went up to the tribunal.

Happy new year to our coaching master mind.

Looking forward to another year of inspirational press conferences that make you want to smash through a brick wall.

What has the guru got in mind tactically this year? From the cutting edge idea of playing an unused sub on a warm September night to every now and then playing a smaller defence to facilitate the likes of Amiss, Draper and McStay to have a party on us…the possibilities are endless.

Last edited:
s**t coach. Moron. Imbecile. Emotionally deficient. Drug farked. Boring. Stupid. Stubborn. Thinks sentences equal plans. Owned by Brad Scott ffs. Ugly. s**t husband. Ugly. Walking cliché. Sitting cliché. Ugly. Works incredibly hard. Is incredibly dull. Emotionally, tactically, mentally deficient. campaigner.
Thought this poster went a bit easy on the coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He coached like garbage in the finals and his selections were even worse.

Why the hell would you go with 2 key defenders rather than 3 for the Pies final when it was proven all year that we lose games when we have a smaller defence and blokes like Hibberd have to make up the size. Think of the Freo and Essendon losses.

Then sure enough McStay kicks 2 crucial goals in the 3rd quarter. One contested mark on our key defensive powerhouse duo of McVee and Rivers, the other an uncontested mark with no defender in the same postcode as McStay.

Why couldn't Goodwin get his players firing from the opening bounce of the Pies final. Why were we down 9-2 in ground ball gets, -10 in contested possessions and 7-0 down in inside 50's before the Maynard hit on Gus. Of course the apologists will claim that Brayshaw going down was the sole reason we lost.

Then the next week why would you play a sub in the Carlton final that you had no intention of playing while the oppo's sub played a key role in their winning goal?

Also, why would you drop Tomlinson after a career best performance on Kings Birthday and sure enough proceed to lose the following week.

Lastly, why did we go 0-6 in wet weather games. Is that not on the coach?

The happy clappers will give him a job for life for the flag none off us got to see but he's not above criticism IMO.
We're into the new year and I've still got the shits on how the finals series just imploded in regards to the bizarre team selections and some of the treatment of senior players around this.

Not confident one bit our coaching staff have learnt a thing. One of the most disappointing aspect of the off field was the lack of coaching restructuring.

We made a forced appointment in McQualter but other then that, we've kept the same stale coaching structure in place without adding any more talent or rejuvenation in general.

Can't wait to watch the same old boring game plan only to be shown up once again in the elimination final.

Last edited:
We're into the new year and I've still got the shits on how the finals series just imploded in regards to the bizarre team selections and some of the treatment of senior players around this.

Not confident one bit our coaching staff have learnt a thing. One of the most disappointing aspect of the off field was the lack of coaching restructuring.

We made a forced appointment in McQualter but other then that, we've kept the same stale coaching structure in place without adding any more talent or rejuvenating in general.

Can't wait to watch the same old boring game plan only to be shown up once again in the elimination final.
It's like the board have just got in their heads that stability with minimal change wins multiple flags. Which is hardly ever the case. Changes always need to be made as you become the hunted and other teams always improve. We went too conservative. After 2022, we should have made several changes on and off field. Now we're dealing with a list that's looking a bit stale and a coaching team that is the same. I just don't see how anything can change with the same setup? It's bizarre, but that's what it looks like to me. It's pure arrogance.

It's like the board have just got in their heads that stability with minimal change wins multiple flags. Which is hardly ever the case. Changes always need to be made as you become the hunted and other teams always improve. We went too conservative. After 2022, we should have made several changes on and off field. Now we're dealing with a list that's looking a bit stale and a coaching team that is the same. I just don't see how anything can change with the same setup? It's bizarre, but that's what it looks like to me. It's pure arrogance.
No I agree, and I think you'll find there majority on here who thinks the same except maybe Demonland..

I've just lost compete trust within our coaching department. I actually think we've got the cattle, and imo we probably didn't fill in some of the key depth that we're lacking over the off season but the key ingredient of it all is still there if our list can stay healthy enough.

I don't think we make top 4 imo. Obviously we still play finals but I think the noise off field and expectations (something we've struggled with) will get to this playing group this year.

No I agree, and I think you'll find there majority on here who thinks the same except maybe Demonland..

I've just lost compete trust within our coaching department. I actually think we've got the cattle, and imo we probably didn't fill in some of the key depth that we're lacking over the off season but the key ingredient of it all is still there if our list can stay healthy enough.

I don't think we make top 4 imo. Obviously we still play finals but I think the noise off field and expectations (something we've struggled with) will get to this playing group this year.
Agree that as the off season went along it became less and less likely we'd be in the top group of teams in 2024. Not saying we aren't without a chance, but Carlton, Pies, Lions and probably Giants all look a step above us now. Crows are coming hard and Power's midfield will keep them up there. I think we make the 8, but play in an elimination final. Hard to see us doing any better. Too many questions. Petty's injury. Melksham most likely done. F50 hasn't really improved. Oliver unlikely to play. Gus and his concussion issues. Stubborn coach. Culture issues? Not enough young star talent coming through. Paper thin depth, especially in talls, Gawn/May just about ready to fall off a cliff.

Agree that as the off season went along it became less and less likely we'd be in the top group of teams in 2024. Not saying we aren't without a chance, but Carlton, Pies, Lions and probably Giants all look a step above us now. Crows are coming hard and Power's midfield will keep them up there. I think we make the 8, but play in an elimination final. Hard to see us doing any better. Too many questions. Petty's injury. Melksham most likely done. F50 hasn't really improved. Oliver unlikely to play. Gus and his concussion issues. Stubborn coach. Culture issues? Not enough young star talent coming through. Paper thin depth, especially in talls, Gawn/May just about ready to fall off a cliff.
Hard to disagree with too much of this.

Can only hope that a couple of established youngsters take really big steps up (Rivers, Roo, Bowey, Sparrow), a couple of players on the slide in '23 reverse that trend (Langdon, Salem) and a couple of young bolters have a greater impact than we anticipated ala Knuckle this year (Howes, Tholstrup, Windsor, Laurie, Woewodin, Turner, Jefferson).

Hard to disagree with too much of this.

Can only hope that a couple of established youngsters take really big steps up (Rivers, Roo, Bowey, Sparrow), a couple of players on the slide in '23 reverse that trend (Langdon, Salem) and a couple of young bolters have a greater impact than we anticipated ala Knuckle this year (Howes, Tholstrup, Windsor, Laurie, Woewodin, Turner, Jefferson).
Yep. Those things are a chance. That's why I'm not writing us off, but we need a number of things to go right, especially some young talent taking steps. JVR, McVee, Riv, Turner, Koz, Sparrow, Bowey probably key to that. Adams, Jefferson, Woey, Windsor, Laurie, Verrall, Tholstrup, Sestan improvement key to our depth. That's really just to keep us up there. Need our stars to push for AA or we're not going far

Yep. The leaders should have gone in hard and the lesser players should have run the risk of suspensions by either taking out daicos or Pendlebury at the next contest or just mauling Maynard. Was the softest reply ever.

Yep. Those things are a chance. That's why I'm not writing us off, but we need a number of things to go right, especially some young talent taking steps. JVR, McVee, Riv, Turner, Koz, Sparrow, Bowey probably key to that. Adams, Jefferson, Woey, Windsor, Laurie, Verrall, Tholstrup, Sestan improvement key to our depth. That's really just to keep us up there. Need our stars to push for AA or we're not going far
Pickett needs to pull his head right in and be an AA small forward.

Last edited:
Yep. The leaders should have gone in hard and the lesser players should have run the risk of suspensions by either taking out daicos or Pendlebury at the next contest or just mauling Maynard. Was the softest reply ever.
Fritsch was telling Maynard to calm down. embarassing by him but a real blight on the clubs culture.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back