Analysis The Coach – Simon 'Standard Practice' Goodwin: It's time to go (for real this time)

Remove this Banner Ad

“It was a 12-13 week injury. Throughout that period I was trying and trying to get back, I was starting to go well, and then me and my girlfriend broke up,” May added.

“It was a pretty tough breakup. I went to the pub and had a few beers on my own, got photographed having a beer.

“‘Goody’ rang me and he was very angry. I said ‘mate, calm down, I just had a couple of beers, my missus was waiting to go to the airport and we’d just broken up. I didn’t want to be at home with her’. He said ‘you’re in rehab, you can’t drink. I said ‘I know that but I just had a breakup’, but he said ’no, you can’t drink’ and just hung up.

“I was like ‘far out, stuff this’.

“It was a 12-13 week injury. Throughout that period I was trying and trying to get back, I was starting to go well, and then me and my girlfriend broke up,” May added.

“It was a pretty tough breakup. I went to the pub and had a few beers on my own, got photographed having a beer.

“‘Goody’ rang me and he was very angry. I said ‘mate, calm down, I just had a couple of beers, my missus was waiting to go to the airport and we’d just broken up. I didn’t want to be at home with her’. He said ‘you’re in rehab, you can’t drink. I said ‘I know that but I just had a breakup’, but he said ’no, you can’t drink’ and just hung up.

“I was like ‘far out, stuff this’.

Why is having a few beers so bad while in rehab?

Alcohol and soft tissue repair don't go well together

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app
The guy is human though. I thought Goody's strength was player relationships? If he is so good at building those relationships, then putting an arm around the bloke when he was clearly hurting would have been a better response. I think a few beers in this circumstance is surely acceptable.

The guy is human though. I thought Goody's strength was player relationships? If he is so good at building those relationships, then putting an arm around the bloke when he was clearly hurting would have been a better response. I think a few beers in this circumstance is surely acceptable.
I mean rules are rules. We were shite that year and the club including Goody were under a first bit of pressure. As May said he was told after you should have spoken to someone at the club.
If May was told by Goody ‘yeah that’s fine mate’ we’d have been accused of being soft and not having standards.

It's funny, a lot of people suggest Goody is too chummy with his players.

Now he's apparently too strict in enforcing team rules.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I mean rules are rules. We were shite that year and the club including Goody were under a first bit of pressure. As May said he was told after you should have spoken to someone at the club.
If May was told by Goody ‘yeah that’s fine mate’ we’d have been accused of being soft and not having standards.

Agree that rules are rules and all that, but the way May tells it where he's going through a tough time personally and Goody yells at him and hangs up on him isn't a great look IMO. Add it to the list with the stuff about the club Dr and refusing to talk to Smith, just paints a picture of a not very mature communicator. Better ways to do it I reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems like it was probably harsh but fair - May ended up taking his conditioning pretty seriously after that and he became an excellent player that finally fulfilled his potential.

Just because he didn't like it in the moment doesn't mean it wasn't the right thing to do.
The fact that he thought he was fit probably says he needed a spray.

Agree that rules are rules and all that, but the way May tells it where he's going through a tough time personally and Goody yells at him and hangs up on him isn't a great look IMO. Add it to the list with the stuff about the club Dr and refusing to talk to Smith, just paints a picture of a not very mature communicator. Better ways to do it I reckon.

Isn’t Goodwins whole thing is he is a great relationships coach? Like I’m his biggest hater but all the players seem to respect him.

How would you possibly know if they didn't

I mean none of us can know for sure but the fact that he’s had the group consistently go out and play for him every week for 3 years now indicates they do. Sure we lose games because of a dumb gameplan, inaccuracy, etc but I’ve never questioned the effort.

I mean none of us can know for sure but the fact that he’s had the group consistently go out and play for him every week for 3 years now indicates they do. Sure we lose games because of a dumb gameplan, inaccuracy, etc but I’ve never questioned the effort.
Except for In games that really matter 2 years in a row

How would you possibly know if they didn't
They do seem to speak very highly of him but it's kind of like Stuart Dew, When he was in the gun, the media were like "the players love him, there will be an exodus if he leaves" etc etc. Turns out that was all bullshit and they avoided losing players because he was sacked.

You'd be surprised if a number of senior players didn't have serious doubts over Goodwin's game plan and his ability to get the best out of the list after the last two seasons.

They do seem to speak very highly of him but it's kind of like Stuart Dew, When he was in the gun, the media were like "the players love him, there will be an exodus if he leaves" etc etc. Turns out that was all bullshit and they avoided losing players because he was sacked.

You'd be surprised if a number of senior players didn't have serious doubts over Goodwin's game plan and his ability to get the best out of the list after the last two seasons.
Lol come on mate especially these days tell me any player who doesn't read from the clubs allowed statement lines

No problem whatsoever with what Goody did, thats what a coach is supposed to do. Not be best mates all the time, give them a whack when you need to. We just signed May to a lot of money, act professional. Just cause youre going thru shit doesnt give you a green light to turn to alcohol. You'd hope he did exactly the same with Oliver.

I disagree with that part, there's no way of knowing that.

I think in regards of playing/not playing for the coach is irrelevant imo. Most players want to perform their best because their ego is more important.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis The Coach – Simon 'Standard Practice' Goodwin: It's time to go (for real this time)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back