Analysis The Coach – Simon 'Standard Practice' Goodwin: It's time to go (for real this time)

Remove this Banner Ad

They'll pay him out if need be, someone has to take the blame and us getting slaughtered at clearance makes him the obvious candidate.
I'm really interested in that thing Goodwin said in his post match about 'having a theory' about how bad we've been in clearance.

I'm really interested in that thing Goodwin said in his post match about 'having a theory' about how bad we've been in clearance.
Its likely as deep as "we had injuries and Clarry didnt train before xmas, she'll be right next year"

Its likely as deep as "we had injuries and Clarry didnt train before xmas, she'll be right next year"
Maybe. He was very coy about it and said it would be addressed during the week.

Maybe. He was very coy about it and said it would be addressed during the week.
Maybe he thought it was laziness then. Dont want to upset our fearless vets earning 2m between them in there.

Maybe he thought it was laziness then. Dont want to upset our fearless vets earning 2m between them in there.
I got the sense that he thought the players weren't working hard enough which the eye will tell you is true. I don't agree that he used injuries as an excuse, he said something to the affect of "there is enough quality there that we shouldn't be losing like that." The trouble with Goodwin is he doesn't put his money where his mouth is on this stuff since the main culprit has been allowed to play every game this season.

I got the sense that he thought the players weren't working hard enough which the eye will tell you is true. I don't agree that he used injuries as an excuse, he said something to the affect of "there is enough quality there that we shouldn't be losing like that." The trouble with Goodwin is he doesn't put his money where his mouth is on this stuff since the main culprit has been allowed to play every game this season.
Haven't heard him say "we are working incredibly hard" this year. 🤔

I don't think I'd blame work rate. Dogs are just much better than us. Even Lobbs a better interceptor than Lever ATM, I don't care how hard we try the dogs are better than us on every line
We're setting new records for being owned in the clearance that doesn't just happen because one team is more talented than the other. North Melbourne at their worst didn't get destroyed that badly out of the middle.

We're setting new records for being owned in the clearance that doesn't just happen because one team is more talented than the other. North Melbourne at their worst didn't get destroyed that badly out of the middle.
You reckon Viney and Rivers don't try?
We have a fat idiot permanently locked into the middle of the ground who plays with no accountability, no care for the ball and no defensive effort yet plays 80% in the guts. Thats enough to ruin a side

You reckon Viney and Rivers don't try?
We have a fat idiot permanently locked into the middle of the ground who plays with no accountability, no care for the ball and no defensive effort yet plays 80% in the guts. Thats enough to ruin a side
I've said before that I think there are degrees of effort. It's not all or nothing. I think it's a mix of lazy efforts and poor set ups. Oliver wears a lot of the blame obviously but the way the Dogs, Freo and a few other teams have walked it out of the middle this year has been diabolical.

I've said before that I think there are degrees of effort. It's not all or nothing. I think it's a mix of lazy efforts and poor set ups. Oliver wears a lot of the blame obviously but the way the Dogs, Freo and a few other teams have walked it out of the middle this year has been diabolical.
That's what happens when you're constantly being told how great your midfield is and you set up to win the clearances and base your game around it, meanwhile there's a big fat idiot bringing it down like an anchor

That's what happens when you're constantly being told how great your midfield is and you set up to win the clearances and base your game around it, meanwhile there's a big fat idiot bringing it down like an anchor
I've already said Oliver is the main culprit and should be dropped. More broadly I think we've seen laziness creep into the side all year and now we're seeing the extent of that blowing up as the season comes to a close. That's on Goodwin, it's his job to find a way to re-energize the playing group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've already said Oliver is the main culprit and should be dropped. More broadly I think we've seen laziness creep into the side all year and now we're seeing the extent of that blowing up as the season comes to a close. That's on Goodwin, it's his job to find a way to re-energize the playing group.
Id bet money that our blokes are looking around at all the 'fun' other clubs are preaching and are having and are hating playing for this coach.

I'm sure the board doesn't want to sack their coach, at this time.
The catch is that they can do it now or do it later. If we keep on with the same old s*** then next year will be disastrous to the point of an early coach sacking.

Pay now or pay later?

I'm sure the board doesn't want to sack their coach, at this time.

I dont know the last sacked coach of a reasonable team that went on to have instant success?

Denis Pagan and Malcolm Blight come to mind but that was a few years ago now.

Voss started well with Carlton but could miss the 8 this year.

If you're in a executive or board role with a footy club and know you're incompetent because let's be honest if you were competent you'd probably be in a proper job, you don't sack a coach until you really have to because that's one rung in the blame ladder gone that's too close to your spot just above. Shuffle the assistant coaches for as long as you're allowed to get away with it is the A+ move if you're wanting a scapegoat and don't have any actual solutions.

Messaging seems to be that we're fine because we won one once so it'll be back to bringing in a couple of line coaches and throwing the rest of the shit at Joel Dmith, Fullarton, Brawshaws helmet and whatever else is lying around looking like an easy target.

Board meeting adjourned. Off to the polo!

I posted in the MFC coaching staff thread a while ago some players are apparently pissed at MacQualter. Reckon they’ll scapegoat him end of season.
Guessing he came in and told them they weren't as good as they thought and sooked it up

Every single person apart for JT and his scouts needs to go.
Agreed. What's Neil Balme doing these days? Throw some cash at him to replace Richo. Seems like where he goes success follows. Tom Hawkins a sneaky chance for a forward coach position somewhere next year? That guy was one of the smartest forwards in the last 15 years. Might be worth a look? Might be a push bringing in an inexperienced coach under Goody. Need coaches who are going to challenge Goody.

I reckon if we got the best forward coach in the world he'd still struggle because our F50 is constantly clogged with 30 players. As long as our overall gameplan revolves around forward half turnovers, slow ball movement and congesting 1 half of the ground our forward line will remain dysfunctional. It's honestly amazing that Kozzie, JVR and Fritsch can functional at all in there.

If you're in a executive or board role with a footy club and know you're incompetent because let's be honest if you were competent you'd probably be in a proper job, you don't sack a coach until you really have to because that's one rung in the blame ladder gone that's too close to your spot just above. Shuffle the assistant coaches for as long as you're allowed to get away with it is the A+ move if you're wanting a scapegoat and don't have any actual solutions.

Messaging seems to be that we're fine because we won one once so it'll be back to bringing in a couple of line coaches and throwing the rest of the shit at Joel Dmith, Fullarton, Brawshaws helmet and whatever else is lying around looking like an easy target.

Board meeting adjourned. Off to the polo!
Absolutely nailed it mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis The Coach – Simon 'Standard Practice' Goodwin: It's time to go (for real this time)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back