Analysis The Coach – Simon 'Standard Practice' Goodwin: It's time to go (for real this time)

Remove this Banner Ad

Ive really enjoyed Goody bringing up Brayshaw whenever possible and using that as an excuse while claiming its not an excuse this year. Have heard him mentioned a few times in press conferences after a loss this year.

Eat you stupid potato!

Gasp Theconnersabc GIF by ABC Network

Ive really enjoyed Goody bringing up Brayshaw whenever possible and using that as an excuse while claiming its not an excuse this year. Have heard him mentioned a few times in press conference after a loss this year.
I like Gus, but with the level of revisionism amongst fans and people at the club, he's on track to be remembered as Michael Voss-like within a few years.

Great glue guy, versatile, tough as nails and one of the worst kicks in recent memory. Do we miss him? Sure. Would he have made us a finals side this year? No.

Ive really enjoyed Goody bringing up Brayshaw whenever possible and using that as an excuse while claiming its not an excuse this year. Have heard him mentioned a few times in press conference after a loss this year.
We're missing him a bit, because I'd definitely rather have him in the team over Bowey, Salem or Sparrow.

But losing Gus is just one small problem among an absolute litany of bigger, overarching problems.

Yeah, im not saying he hasn't been a loss, just more the fact he keeps mentioning him publicly while claiming its not an excuse, its pretty much the coaches version of a supporter blaming losses on umpires, cringe. This year was about us celebrating what we do well remember, til it wasn't and we kept getting flogged doing what we supposedly do well.

Last edited:
Somewhere around WC/Freo losses.

Was evident we could get wins with that game style but not consistently enough for a flag.
The chip kick game style was not going to do the trick when all the good teams have moved on to transition football. That style of football hasn't worked since the Hawks era. Same goes for the high press gameplan Goodwin has had for most of his tenure. You can't score and just get destroyed once the opposition gets it over your defensive line.

The stand rule basically begs for teams to break lines with run and carry which Goodwin has refused to even try.

Thought this was the draft BF thread for a second and was about to tell all to get stuffed for ruining my day talking about Goody.

My bad for coming in here.

The chip kick game style was not going to do the trick when all the good teams have moved on to transition football. That style of football hasn't worked since the Hawks era. Same goes for the high press gameplan Goodwin has had for most of his tenure. You can't score and just get destroyed once the opposition gets it over your defensive line.

The stand rule basically begs for teams to break lines with run and carry which Goodwin has refused to even try.
All you need is they fleet footed carriers, like ... umm

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All you need is they fleet footed carriers, like ... umm
The stand rule alleviates a players lack of pace pretty much, we go back behind the mark and wait for bigs to get into place and bomb it to a pack.

I feel the freo game we tried to play a quick game but we didn't convert early, went into our shells and then the wheels fell off. The next week we reverted to boring defensive game against an under manned Collingwood and still got flogged. Since then we've been pretty awful.

Not the way we do it . Probably works a treat at training, tends to fall apart under pressure .
You have to give a little to get a little. If you cheat forward with players ahead of the ball you have more options when the pressure comes.

There are strengths and weaknesses to every gameplan but faster ball movement has been in vogue the past couple of years for good reason. It's far easier to pull off now than it was a few years ago.

You have to give a little to get a little. If you cheat forward with players ahead of the ball you have more options when the pressure comes.

There are strengths and weaknesses to every gameplan but faster ball movement has been in vogue the past couple of years for good reason. It's far easier to pull off now than it was a few years ago.
and i think it's less taxing on the players. the season has never been longer than it is now, and the contest style game becomes less effective the more banged up you get.

I agree . It also requires the coaches to embrace it , and pick a team that can do it .

Never has anyone been more right
Of course a numpty with the name Dee Fence would like Goodwins style. Keeping a team under 70 points and kicking a couple more points than them ourselves, ohhhhh yeahhhh

celebrity perverts GIF

Never has anyone been more right
No disharmony at the club. Just players punching on in public places, one guy supplying Bolivian marching powder for the entire club (though you could argue this is team-building I guess), drunken B&F speeches, a coach with well documented substance and gambling issues, multiple lawsuits going on in the background, an inner circle of favourites that gets picked every week their despite levels of performance, a player that nearly died on field, got put back out there and then didn't get ruled out for the season, despite he himself saying he's months away, the supposed drug test cover-ups and anything to do with Clayton Oliver.

Nothing To See Here GIF by Giphy QA

All you blokes who want to boot Goodwin, would be nice if you could actually suggest a solution.

Goodwin has a 57% win rate, a premiership, 3 top 4 finishes and a minor premiership.

Who do you suggest we get to replace him that will give us better results than Goodwin has gotten for us?

While his style is batshit boring, he would change it if the list let him.

Only thing about him that pisses me off is our need to constantly pay for a mentor (Choco/Roos/Neil/Richo ect) while having **** all soft cap left for proper forward line coaching.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis The Coach – Simon 'Standard Practice' Goodwin: It's time to go (for real this time)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back