Analysis The Coach – Simon 'Standard Practice' Goodwin: It's time to go (for real this time)

Remove this Banner Ad

The fact he is OOC next year might play into our hands. Would be incredibly stupid to sign him up early after this year without at least having a look at how we are going in 2024.

Absolutely - it would be ridiculous to extend his contract at this point. There's two options really, either the team is good enough to win flags and is therefore (at the very least) competing in Grand Finals to win them. Or else, we aren't good enough in which case - we need a change of administration.

I don't want us to fall into the trap that the Bulldogs with Luke Beveridge - where the premiership coach is given more leeway than normal circumstances. It's what guarantees a return to mediocrity (and we're already there).

He's very lucky the teams below us are spluttering a little. Us and the Saints would have to be the worst 4th and 5th sides this deep in a season for a long time.

Saints, Lions, Crows is a tough little run. We could genuinely lose all 3. The thing for me mostly atm, is that we're just not enjoyable to watch. No flair, no run and carry, no seemingly decent plan going into the F50, not 1 decent forward to get excited about. Skills are poor, accuracy at goal horrendous. We're unwatchable. I'd cop the L's if we were playing like the Crows or GWS.

The fact he is OOC next year might play into our hands. Would be incredibly stupid to sign him up early after this year without at least having a look at how we are going in 2024.
I want Goody to realise working harder doesn't always get the results - we need to work smarter and that means look for players in better/goal scoring positions rather kicking long to a contest

I want Goody to realise working harder doesn't always get the results - we need to work smarter and that means look for players in better/goal scoring positions rather kicking long to a contest
If we don't start kicking smarter and persist we kicking long to contests then it shows we are stubborn and self righteous.

Extension incoming soon.

Tom Cruise What GIF

I'll be honest I'm not at the 'sack goodwin' stage yet, I think he could benefit from some fresh assistants and a decent off-season and we could re-assess next year.

I don't understand the desire to sign him up now. Port have shown it's perfectly managable to leave your coach hanging during a contract year even if they're doing well.

Feels like the board is a bit too obsessed with looking stable.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll be honest I'm not at the 'sack goodwin' stage yet, I think he could benefit from some fresh assistants and a decent off-season and we could re-assess next year.

I don't understand the desire to sign him up now. Port have shown it's perfectly managable to leave your coach hanging during a contract year even if they're doing well.

Feels a bit like the board is a bit too obsessed with looking stable.

100% agree, for all the shit I give him I dont want to sack him right now, happy to let him see out the current contract, but I sure dont want to extend him right now. If only given the option of the two id lean towards sack rather than re-sign however.

Devils advocate, contracts are pretty meaningless these days.

Ratten got sacked a few weeks after signing one. Dew signed a two year contract at the end of last year.

Ratten got sacked a few weeks after signing one. Dew signed a two year contract at the end of last year.
Meaningless, you still gotta pay the money to sack them

For a club that you reckon wants to look stable this outcome isn't very stable. :tearsofjoy:

Last edited:
Meaningless, you still gotta pay the money to sack them
Yeah but you still have to pay it out
For club that you reckon wants to look stable this outcome isn't very stable. :tearsofjoy:

As I said, devils advocate. Yeah it would be shit and stupid to be in that position. But I don't think it hurts your soft cap is my point. Regardless, if we sign him up it would take at least two years of missing the 8 to even get looked at imo.

Yeah look, that's the problem with drought-breaking flags sometimes. They impart a sense of loyalty to all involved, particularly the coach, and it can lead to some pretty poor decisions.

Look at Beveridge for instance – the Dogs fluked a flag from 7th seven years ago, but haven't finished a home & away season in the top-four in any of his nine years at the helm, and realistically, they've wasted one of the best midfield groups I've seen. He should've been moved on years ago, but is completely entrenched in that club now.

As others have said, no major problem with Goodwin running out his current contract, but extending him this far in advance when we've been regressing for two years is nonsensical. Honestly, I don't think he's that highly rated across the industry (namely because his gameplan got found out more than 12 months ago, and he's done nothing to really address it), so I really couldn't imagine teams lining up to 'steal' him from us.

No harm in doing what Port has done with Hinkley.

As I said, devils advocate. Yeah it would be s**t and stupid to be in that position. But I don't think it hurts your soft cap is my point. Regardless, if we sign him up it would take at least two years of missing the 8 to even get looked at imo.
It would be a gigantic farce even if it doesn’t hurt the cap to sack him. There’s just no need to re-sign him early or give him any kind of long deal when he comes OOC. He’s not going anywhere, and if he does actively leave himself it would be a huge blessing

Yeah look, that's the problem with drought-breaking flags sometimes. They impart a sense of loyalty to all involved, particularly the coach, and it can lead to some pretty poor decisions.

Look at Beveridge for instance – the Dogs fluked a flag from 7th seven years ago, but haven't finished a home & away season in the top-four in any of his nine years at the helm, and realistically, they've wasted one of the best midfield groups I've seen. He should've been moved on years ago, but is completely entrenched in that club now.

As others have said, no major problem with Goodwin running out his current contract, but extending him this far in advance when we've been regressing for two years is nonsensical. Honestly, I don't think he's that highly rated across the industry (namely because his gameplan got found out more than 12 months ago, and he's done nothing to really address it), so I really couldn't imagine teams lining up to 'steal' him from us.

No harm in doing what Port has done with Hinkley.
Seems like a bit of a uniquely AFL thing to give coaches way more chances than other codes around the world. Dew had 6 years of losing seasons and are currently one game out of the bottom 4 and people are still saying he was hard done by.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis The Coach – Simon 'Standard Practice' Goodwin: It's time to go (for real this time)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back