Analysis The Coach – Simon 'Standard Practice' Goodwin: It's time to go (for real this time)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you're probably right if we want to have any chance of achieving anything come finals (again, I still think we're stuffed regardless)

Longer term we're going to need to rethink the whole strategy and recruit accordingly.

The other, more out there, concept could be - Rather than managing players by resting them; they've thought about trying to play a less physically demanding style for say half a season before kicking back into contest/clearance mode again as they ramp up for finals (if we even make it now). Goody has talked about learning from the past mistakes in terms of managing players, yet we've not seen anyone rested yet, so it's probably not highly likely, but that's my tin foil thinking.

My bad, I'm probably just too used to being on the defensive here. Apologies.

I definitely agree the ball movement philosophy has changed, but don't agree the defensive intent and focus has moved at all. All the metrics say we're a less attacking team this year. Huge falls for clearances and inside 50s, big drop for points scored, big leap for uncontested marks - and most notably our scores from turnover % has had a big drop too. So that's telling you we're not attacking, we're going slow around the ground, trying to get uncontested marks etc.
Oh yeah I think we still want to be a defensive side. I said a little while back this year feels like we're trying to have our cake and eat it too. The chip kick marking control game has failed pretty badly. I think if we wanted to improve our attack we just needed to tweak our style from last year and go for a more run and carry game where we gave a bit up defensively to have more numbers forward of the ball.

That being said if we're bad at contested ball and clearance then we're second to the ball which makes everything harder and a lot of that blame falls on our midfield who are underperforming massively in that area.

Oh yeah I think we still want to be a defensive side. I said a little while back this year feels like we're trying to have our cake and eat it too. The chip kick marking control game has failed pretty badly. I think if we wanted to improve our attack we just needed to tweak our style from last year and go for a more run and carry game where we gave a bit up defensively to have more numbers forward of the ball.

That being said if we're bad at contested ball and clearance then we're second to the ball which makes everything harder and a lot of that blame falls on our midfield who are underperforming massively in that area.

Yep, nailed it. Just needed to tweak things but they've massively over corrected.

Imagine holding out hope and thinking we should revert back to a style that has seen us be bounced from the finals in straight sets for the past two years. That shit isn't winning us a premiership. Absolutely pointless and it's the reason we are where we are, we kept playing like 2021 and the comp caught up and went past us.

Last edited:
Imagine holding out hope and thinking we should revert back to a style that has seen us be bounced from the finals in straight sets for the past two years. That shit isn't winning us a premiership. Absolutely pointless and it's the reason we are where we are, we kept playing like 2021 and the comp caught up and went past us.
and somehow Goodwins managed to come up with an even worse gameplan. Go the Melbourne Demons #demonspirit #proudtobelong #8otherclubs

Give up on the premiership dream, it's over in the short term. Lose them all and get early picks for JT to redo the list over with. Make tough calls on vets. Trade them to real contenders for whatever picks you can get. Re: May, Viney etc. The club needs to be flooded with draft picks. You only need to see what is running round at the Casey Generals to realise that.

Give up on the premiership dream, it's over in the short term. Lose them all and get early picks for JT to redo the list over with. Make tough calls on vets. Trade them to real contenders for whatever picks you can get. Re: May, Viney etc. The club needs to be flooded with draft picks. You only need to see what is running round at the Casey Generals to realise that.
Casey's form and the quality of players underneath our best 22 is scary bad.

The other, more out there, concept could be - Rather than managing players by resting them; they've thought about trying to play a less physically demanding style for say half a season before kicking back into contest/clearance mode again as they ramp up for finals (if we even make it now). Goody has talked about learning from the past mistakes in terms of managing players, yet we've not seen anyone rested yet, so it's probably not highly likely, but that's my tin foil thinking.

That would certainly be an insanely optimistic take, and I think it's about five levels of 4D chess above Goody's cognitive abilities.

Let's just burn it down and start again.

Agree with this. I don't blame them for having another crack this year but now is the time to call it, don't do a Richmond and top up with average blokes. At least nobody wants to come to our club so that option has been taken out of our hands. You can trade average blokes for second and third rounders and trade yourself into the first round with the bidding system, let's load up.

That's the thing - I think reverting to that style will see us perform slightly better than currently, but we're probably cooked regardless. We might go from an 8-10 team to a 6-8 team at best.

Unfortunately, as much as we'd rather burn it all down and start again we know the club is stubborn and will ride out a period of mid table mediocrity.

That's the thing - I think reverting to that style will see us perform slightly better than currently, but we're probably cooked regardless. We might go from an 8-10 team to a 6-8 team at best.

Unfortunately, as much as we'd rather burn it all down and start again we know the club is stubborn and will ride out a period of mid table mediocrity.

Surely they realize when Tasmania comes in it is the WORST time to be a middling side?

I get its a bitter pill to swallow but we need to blow it up - Gawn/Trac/May/Koz/Windsor/JVR/McVee all untouchable, see what we can get for anyone else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely they realize when Tasmania comes in it is the WORST time to be a middling side?

I get its a bitter pill to swallow but we need to blow it up - Gawn/Trac/May/Koz/Windsor/JVR/McVee all untouchable, see what we can get for anyone else.

I don't disagree, but I have very little faith that the club will think along the same lines.

They will see mediocrity as safe and sustainable.

I don't disagree, but I have very little faith that the club will think along the same lines.

They will see mediocrity as safe and sustainable.
Yeah, the arrogance by this club last few years suggests while Gawn and May are playing ok, and Trac is peak, we'll think we're still a chance. Which would be disastrous with Tas and GC sweeping all the young talent next few years.

Agree, I’m on board for blowing up our list and rejuvenating now before two expansion teams come in.

Blokes like Lever, Salem, Rivers, Fritsch, Oliver if we are lucky could snare us a few first rounders.

Bring in a gun KPF, KPB and 2 gun young mids as a starting point. If we are lucky pickup Kalani White without being dodged by rule changes as another KPB.

Keep a few old heads like Trac, Viney and Langdon around to make sure the young blokes don’t go off the rails.

The Oliver knocking is ****ing head scratching. Apparently Patrick Cripps was done in 2021 but then won a Brownlow the year after.

Hysterical.

Oliver won’t have a good year so people expecting him to do much after his ridiculously self inflicted interrupted off season are setting themselves for a fall. Depending on his mindset he will be back to his best next year.

It’s the coaching and the lack of development from our youth. It’s not Clayton Oliver.
Hahahahahahaha
Great for a laugh this. Oliver still #1 everyone else sucks not the big fat idiot whos played like shit for multiple years.
Gotta love one eyed fans.

October 2023 admission of one bad year

But bar one below par year, what are his attitudinal issues? Potentially fallen out over his injury management? I mean, has he been on the nose beers?

During the first game against Sydney

Jesus Christ Oliver looks out of shape. Fat, slow, unfit…..

Being a smartass to schmuttt an now conveniently forgetting his first bad year 😂😂

Oh ok, ‘sport’. One pretty average year from Oliver. Let’s throw the baby out with the bath water. If we are having the same conversation this time next year then I’ll grant you being correct.

Lol, you can't say "I didn't say he manages injuries better" when you literally did. This whole conversation has been about injury management so I don't know why you pulled back on that in your last comment only to make the rest of your post about how great Burgess is at injury management.

Seems like I pointed out that Burgess' injury management isn't as great as you were arguing and you moved the goalposts and told me I'm missing the point before saying the exact same thing. But if it makes you feel better to infer I'm a dumbarse because I can't grasp your point on some deeper level then have fun with that.
10-6 bluelegs against LordRumours.
It's a painful read when there's a discussion and one bloke uses facts while the other uses club inside info and things that only he could know as a counter. It's bloody pointless.

Agree with all this but May is absolutely touchable imo.

They wont be mid table mediocre for long, the collapse to a shit kicker team again is closer than they realise on the current course. Tassie come in around the same time May and Gawn finish up. That cliff is going to be steep.

Agree with all this but May is absolutely touchable imo.
For me it would depend the offer. If we can sneak a top 25 odd pick for him and we are ruling ourselves out of next year I'd do it. If it's for like a pick 40 I'd rather just watching pull a calf and retire for us

For me it would depend the offer. If we can sneak a top 25 odd pick for him and we are ruling ourselves out of next year I'd do it. If it's for like a pick 40 I'd rather just watching pull a calf and retire for us
Wed get a top 25 pick for him for sure, a real contenting team would be mad to not go after him. Imagine him on the Swans.

Wed get a top 25 pick for him for sure, a real contenting team would be mad to not go after him. Imagine him on the Swans.
Oh yeah he's still arguably the best key back in the league especially in the big matches. Even the dogs would be so good with him

Hahahahahahaha
Great for a laugh this. Oliver still #1 everyone else sucks not the big fat idiot whos played like shit for multiple years.
Gotta love one eyed fans.

October 2023 admission of one bad year

During the first game against Sydney

Being a smartass to schmuttt an now conveniently forgetting his first bad year 😂😂
No.

I never said it wasn’t Oliver to blame. If you read what I’ve said re him you’d understand it. But you haven’t. You’ve cherry picked to suit your argument. I’ll clarify it.

Oliver has himself to blame. He has clearly let himself down and the club. Yes, he was fat and unfit. He probably still is fat and unfit and won’t be anywhere near better until 2025.

However, my argument has always been that I don’t think trading him is a good result for us given the quality of him when he is fit and healthy.

I couldn’t give a fat rats arse if I am a smart arse. He dropped the champ line. I simply stood by my opinion.

I don’t know how else to say it. If you want to accept it, fine, if you want to argue then go and yell at yourself in the mirror.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis The Coach – Simon 'Standard Practice' Goodwin: It's time to go (for real this time)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back