Analysis The Coach – Simon 'Standard Practice' Goodwin: It's time to go (for real this time)

Remove this Banner Ad

Lmao champion data has Freo as the easiest team in the comp to move the footy against and we looked ****ing horrific

Ball movements fixed though guys 😂
Kent loves Champion Data!

Is Kent actually David King? 🕵️‍♀️

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Geez, I know Kent is a bit of a w***er, but I've seen no indication that he's addicted to HGH.

Fixing solutions sounds about right. Goody going by the 'if it aint broke i'd better fix it' approach rather than the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'

We have natural forwards? I'd better fix that

Melbourne mindset got re-uploaded with Goody flaunting his crazy side. Some good shit in here.
  • Working with his big wave surfing mate who works in the "kinesiology" space
  • "My job is to fix solutions"
  • "I'm much more balanced in the process that sits within the journey"

Did he join Vines at Deloitte over summer? Some great consultant-speak in there

I had to turn it off after a few mins, I don't know how the players could stay motivted listening to that.
Every speech I've heard from him behind the scenes has zero inspiration to it. Very awkward operator, like an android who sort of understands inspirational speeches but that part of its programming hasn't been fully developed yet.... Remember the grand final classic to get the boys all fired up: "put a smile on your face coz you've worked your ass off" & "all year we've spoken about being true to who we are, being true to who Melbourne is, you go out there and play your ass off"

Every speech I've heard from him behind the scenes has zero inspiration to it. Very awkward operator, like an android who sort of understands inspirational speeches but that part of its programming hasn't been fully developed yet.... Remember the grand final classic to get the boys all fired up: "put a smile on your face coz you've worked your ass off" & "all year we've spoken about being true to who we are, being true to who Melbourne is, you go out there and play your ass off"

I’ve legitimately never seen a worse media performer as a coach than Goody.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Buckley would just be a bigger disaster.
Nah, I'm all for Buckley. Never really liked him much as a bloke, but he has a good footy brain and it feels like the club needs a disruptor to come in as coach, rather than somebody who's just going to be best mates with all the players.

Sounds archaic I know, but the entire joint is a boys club at the moment.

Unless your name ends in Neeld or Stafford, hard to believe there would be a bigger disaster than Goody.

I get we've all got our frustrations with Goody over the the last few years, but this is such a ridiculous take.

Delivered a terrible club a premiership when they hadn't see one for nearly 60 years.

There's fair criticism and then there's classic BigFooty shit takes. Seeing way too much of the latter for this place to be a good place to chat footy lately tbh.

I get we've all got our frustrations with Goody over the the last few years, but this is such a ridiculous take.

Delivered a terrible club a premiership when they hadn't see one for nearly 60 years.

There's fair criticism and then there's classic BigFooty shit takes. Seeing way too much of the latter for this place to be a good place to chat footy lately tbh.
He's not a good coach. Had the best list in the comp. That's what won him the flag. Plus the stability of the club was fine when he took over. Roos set the culture standards. Not Goody. Been plenty of controversy since he took over tbh with culture issues. I get he's pretty good at building relationships, and the defensive structure is solid(mainly again thanks to Lever and May), but even with arguably the best midfield in the comp, never had dominance in that area, and the F50 has been a disaster most years. Not convinced Buckley or Simpson wouldn't do a better job than Goodwin. Only won finals in 2 of his years here. It's not good enough.

He's not a good coach. Had the best list in the comp. That's what won him the flag. Plus the stability of the club was fine when he took over. Roos set the culture standards. Not Goody. Been plenty of controversy since he took over tbh with culture issues. I get he's pretty good at building relationships, and the defensive structure is solid(mainly again thanks to Lever and May), but even with arguably the best midfield in the comp, never had dominance in that area, and the F50 has been a disaster most years. Not convinced Buckley or Simpson wouldn't do a better job than Goodwin. Only won finals in 2 of his years here. It's not good enough.

More than happy to put specific issues on him, especially over the last 2 1/2 years. Personally I think he's mostly to blame for our management of players and that has been a big contributor to our failure to capitalise during that time.

Not good enough is a fair enough call.

'Big disaster' when he delivered a pissant club a long awaited flag is just plain silly.

More than happy to put specific issues on him, especially over the last 2 1/2 years. Personally I think he's mostly to blame for our management of players and that has been a big contributor to our failure to capitalise during that time.

Not good enough is a fair enough call.

'Big disaster' when he delivered a pissant club a long awaited flag is just plain silly.
Yeah I don't think he's the worst coach ever, he clearly has some good relationship skills. But just because he won a flag doesn't mean he is infallible.

Fact is he inherited a system from Roos, and had some very good draft picks.

His selection integrity is a joke - picks favourites and rushes people back from injury.

His overall game plan is 3 years too old and hasn't been adapted at all.

His game day tactics and nous are practically non existent.

Can't blame the list because all in all is pretty good.

Can't blame injuries, everyone gets those and ours are no worse than other teams.

Yeah I don't think he's the worst coach ever, he clearly has some good relationship skills. But just because he won a flag doesn't mean he is infallible.

Fact is he inherited a system from Roos, and had some very good draft picks.

His selection integrity is a joke - picks favourites and rushes people back from injury.

His overall game plan is 3 years too old and hasn't been adapted at all.

His game day tactics and nous are practically non existent.

Can't blame the list because all in all is pretty good.

Can't blame injuries, everyone gets those and ours are no worse than other teams.
To use an NBA comparison, he's a lot like Doc Rivers in most major ways.

A former player who relates with them super well. A 'player's coach'.

Massively plays favourites with senior players, deflects all blame

Isn't responsible for any technical coaching, relying heavily on assistants but instructs on gameday (badly)

Doc is fine with having gun assistants around him, he's a PR wizard who will even throw his players under the bus if he needs to.

Goodwin doesn't want anyone challenging him.

To use an NBA comparison, he's a lot like Doc Rivers in most major ways.
Good call. Doc at least has some semblance of charisma though (albeit, he's a bumbling fool)

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis The Coach – Simon 'Standard Practice' Goodwin: It's time to go (for real this time)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back