Analysis The Coach – Simon 'Standard Practice' Goodwin: It's time to go (for real this time)

Remove this Banner Ad

Good call. Doc at least has some semblance of charisma though (albeit, he's a bumbling fool)
I reckon Doc is a shitty coach on his own but also knows it. His PR game is elite to the point that he can have the very best assistants beside him and he's got no worry that someone is taking his job. He's working every room every day. You're 100% right on charisma. He's got ****ing A+ people skills, everyone is his mate.

As a Bucks fan watching closely you really see it. He did a cameo a few weeks ago on one the Summer League games to talk to the commentators and one of them was like his golf buddy. Spent the whole first half talking to the other commentator basically Doc Rivers talking points on why the team underperformed last season before Doc comes on later.

Thing is I've heard the script like 4 times across various broadcasts in 6 months. Dude has mates everywhere in the media and he's worked the shit out of them.

That's the thing though, in 2008, he had Thib's coaching the defence that anchored that ring. He's consistently had the best assistants working under him and happily used them.

Goodwin has pissed in the pockets of the senior guys at the least. He's no good in the media but he's obviously got people skills and they are all onside. I imagine the same is reflected throughout the club and board. He'd be everyone's mate.

The team pretty much immediately not sucking at playing a zone as soon as Goody left the coaches box to cheerlead from the bench was instructive enough if any doubt existed to his tactical derpery and I've covered this groud before when I was more sober so I won't again.

I wish we could have traded Jefferson for Goldstein last week, id have done it. That game vs Freo was the most important game of our supporting lives and the club did NOTHING!!
Maybe hold Grundy to his contract for another year and keep Jefferson. Jefferson has some classy traits and will get his chance

Maybe hold Grundy to his contract for another year and keep Jefferson. Jefferson has some classy traits and will get his chance
over your head cosplay GIF by Comic-Con HQ

Sarcastic post by me my dear friend CN. Sorry for the confusion.

In all honesty I think Goody is fine in media pressers. Stays neutral, protects players and yes himself. Keeps the message the same. Being a tottenham fan from when I did my stint over there years ago I watch big Anges pressers all the time now. Same thing, he keeps the same message, keeps neutral and doesn’t get flustered. He knows he’s not at Man City or Real Madrid and he knows what he has on and off the field. Think about it, McRae last week said his players were loosers. That’s the craziest thing but at big clubs you say emotional crazy things like that because if the team fails you get fired but the team will succeed again but it doesn’t work that way for smaller clubs

In all honesty I think Goody is fine in media pressers. Stays neutral, protects players and yes himself. Keeps the message the same. Being a tottenham fan from when I did my stint over there years ago I watch big Anges pressers all the time now. Same thing, he keeps the same message, keeps neutral and doesn’t get flustered. He knows he’s not at Man City or Real Madrid and he knows what he has on and off the field. Think about it, McRae last week said his players were loosers. That’s the craziest thing but at big clubs you say emotional crazy things like that because if the team fails you get fired but the team will succeed again but it doesn’t work that way for smaller clubs
Ange is charismatic funny and the media love him he's not a ****ing thing like Goody lol 😂

Ange is charismatic funny and the media love him he's not a ****ing thing like Goody lol 😂
Ange coughs a lot and says mate alot but he gives a neutral similar message every time. So when they went from winning to loosing there was no story

That's a ****ing speech that gets ya up an about. Goody couldn't do this
Not enough cliches
Little fluff in the middle but the last minute hits

Yeah I love that TK. Amazing speech. I’m referring to his after match afl speeches vs anges, the same. Maybe we have a marketing problem for the outside the game stuff like this message. Once again this was amazing by Ange

Shittest thing this country ever did losing Ange. Love that bloke.
I know he's a Carlton man ( course he is bloody wog 😂) genuinely wonder if him or Bellamy could swap codes with the right assistants. They are player coaches for the most part, interesting experiment

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed DA but for the individual he got out of a situation were god like figures like Foster absolutely degraded his efforts publicly and him leaving Aus made him the man he was always going to be
Craig Foster is a massive weirdo, always has been. No idea why anyone takes any notice of what he has to say.

The end of this year will be Goodwin’s eighth completed season and we’ll have made finals four times with two bottom six finishes. Thanks for 2021 but **** off.
With a ****ing ready to go list, he's won finals in 2 of 8 seasons. He didn't win us 21 the players going ballistic at stoppages did

With a ****ing ready to go list, he's won finals in 2 of 8 seasons. He didn't win us 21 the players going ballistic at stoppages did
outside Chris Scott getting Geelong off the back of a flag, Goodwin landed the best coaching gig in living memory. Imagine what we could have done with someone who had half an idea.

outside Chris Scott getting Geelong off the back of a flag, Goodwin landed the best coaching gig in living memory. Imagine what we could have done with someone who had half an idea.
Probably made atleast one prelim in a non COVID year.

this list now isn't any worse than the one Craig Mcrae took over from Bucks, Goodwin starting to make it look 2013 level.
That's true, I also think out list is overrated. Everyone kept saying how we had the best midfield in the competition, we don't any more. Our forward line isn't top 6 and if May isn't firing neither is our back 6. We're just an average team

Thanks for your services Goofy. You are no longer required. Same memo should be sent to McQualter, Stafford, Lamb, Petty, Salem, Ben Brown, Tom McDonald, Schache, Hunter and one of Viney or Oliver. Play the kids, mini rebuild. If we give up this year's 1st for Houston then the club should just fold

That's true, I also think out list is overrated. Everyone kept saying how we had the best midfield in the competition, we don't any more. Our forward line isn't top 6 and if May isn't firing neither is our back 6. We're just an average team
Agree it isn't anything special, but most had Collingwood a bottom 6 side when McCrae took over, he'd love to have JVR, Kozzy, Fritsch, Chandler at his disposal. May, Lever, Petty in defence. The rising tide lifts all boats. Goodwin is quicksand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis The Coach – Simon 'Standard Practice' Goodwin: It's time to go (for real this time)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back