Analysis The Coach – Simon 'Standard Practice' Goodwin: It's time to go (for real this time)

Remove this Banner Ad

Listening to MMM and Jay Clark asked if "we" should be harder on Melbourne and Joey and Daisy both said nah it's super hard to win flags and we were top 4, 3 years in a row.

I swear if it wasn't for the hero Kane right now we'd be just sitting in 13th in complete silence and fatty would be making a million to be one of the shittest mids in the comp.

Not sure I agree with that. Coaches have the most power, everyone is in the footy department is in service to making their vision a reality. Also why they cop the most of the blame/credit and are usually the first to be sacked when it all goes pear-shaped.

The board and CEO are the only thing that's truly over the coach. Richo oversees everything and liaises between the footy department and the board but I don't think he's giving Goodwin orders unless they're explicitly coming from the board.

This is simply incorrect mate. Richardson is literally Goodwin's boss. The coaching structure at an AFL club is a lot more like a team than people often realize. Decisions on things like what we're talking about, with packing players up for the year etc, are not made by Goodwin.

This is simply incorrect mate. Richardson is literally Goodwin's boss. The coaching structure at an AFL club is a lot more like a team than people often realize. Decisions on things like what we're talking about, with packing players up for the year etc, are not made by Goodwin.
"In his role, Richardson oversees the performance-based elements of the AFL program including coaching, high performance, medical, performance psychology and skill development."

Alan Richardson - General Manager of AFL Football Performance

So yeah, he's 100% responsible for decision making in this regard.

If Richo and Goodwin really went to war over a decision who do you think would come out on top? Unless the board are ready to sack the coach I can promise you Simon would be the victor.

If Richo and Goodwin really went to war over a decision who do you think would come out on top? Unless the board are ready to sack the coach I can promise you Simon would be the victor.

I'm not really sure what you're arguing there tbh.

The original point is it's up to Richardson and then Pert, Roffey and the board to make the decision we're going to pack up for 2024 and start preparing early. They would then pass that on to Goody. If Goody chose to ignore that directive he would 100% be shown the door.

Richo is there cause hes a Goodwin yes man. Hes there to protect and serve the coach, not critique him. Sure he might throw in some ideas from time to time but final say over all is absolutely Goody's. You'd have to be seriously guidable not to see this.

Get rid of both then. They're not going to get us out of this mess so get someone who will

Seems clear Goodwin isn't being sacked as yet, but I'd be pretty surprised if there wasn't a review on the horizon where Richardson's performance was looked at closely.

Listening to MMM and Jay Clark asked if "we" should be harder on Melbourne and Joey and Daisy both said nah it's super hard to win flags and we were top 4, 3 years in a row.

I swear if it wasn't for the hero Kane right now we'd be just sitting in 13th in complete silence and fatty would be making a million to be one of the shittest mids in the comp.
Saying we finished top 4 is straight up misinformation as well lmao. After finals it was 5th and 6th

It's doing my head in. It shouldn't be about how winning a flag is hard, it should be about how we haven't even won a final since and are now in 13th position.

Thank **** for Kane Cornes, tbh I've always liked him for pointing this kinda shit out when no one else will

I'm not really sure what you're arguing there tbh.

The original point is it's up to Richardson and then Pert, Roffey and the board to make the decision we're going to pack up for 2024 and start preparing early. They would then pass that on to Goody. If Goody chose to ignore that directive he would 100% be shown the door.
I'm talking about who has more influence over major decisions. You're describing the footy department like a typical office hierarchy but ultimately the coach has more influence than anyone despite technically being lower in the pecking order than the footy boss. When the footy boss and admin start making decisions over the coaches head the club becomes dysfunctional.

I'm talking about who has more influence over major decisions. You're describing the footy department like a typical office hierarchy but ultimately the coach has more influence than anyone despite technically being lower in the pecking order than the footy boss. When the footy boss and admin start making decisions over the coaches head the club becomes dysfunctional.

In this context, deciding to pack in the season, Goodwin can not make that decision himself. It has to come from the top. No disrespect intended, but honestly people here seem to have absolutely no concept how AFL clubs are actually set up. I get people want to rage at Goodwin because it's the simple thing to do and doesn't require much depth of though, but there's more issues than him at the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In this context, deciding to pack in the season, Goodwin can not make that decision himself. It has to come from the top. No disrespect intended, but honestly people here seem to have absolutely no concept how AFL clubs are actually set up. I get people want to rage at Goodwin because it's the simple thing to do and doesn't require much depth of though, but there's more issues than him at the club.
I'm not saying Goodwin is the only problem at the club I'm just saying the buck stops with him. But that's alright, we're just going to have to agree to disagree here.

Imagine a senior coaching needing a yes from Kate Roffey to pack up the season. Kate goes missing when the going gets tough and only comes out to take credit when we're winning a flag.

Honestly, you couldn't make this shit up enough already even though it's been made up by this exact poster who literally has a history of doing this.

Imagine thinking an AFL team is run the same as Tungamah Footy Club. Embarrassing. I heard Goody also runs the raffle.

Goody does everything supppsedly. I don't even know why we have Richo lol. Both need to.go because clearly both can't do their jobs properly.
It's laughable to think Goody doesn't have the power to pull the shots.

Old mate LN is incredibly delusional to think otherwise. It's been well known within footy circles that Goodwin is a control freak. Hes even admitted to this is several interviews previous years.

But nah, he's got to ask Mummy Roffey if he can drop players 🤣

Please..

Hawks last flag was 2015
They then finished 12th, 4th, 9th, 15th and 14th trying to rebuild on the run. The move aside the best coach of the last 20 years for someone with fresh attacking footy. And within 2 years and **** all draft picks they could feasibly win the flag this season. That's why hawthorn have been a powerhouse for decades and we're a joke. They weren't happy with 5 years without a flag, we are still celebrating ours.

I feel like Williams is a protected coach, never ever gets brought up

Initially brought in as extra support and a mentoring role for Goodwin. Current Head of Development.
And all i ever heard early on was he was going to drill into us elite kicking, but it feels like we've become progressively worse at that

Like ALL of the coaching staff i aint giving any of them passes, even if he has the most experience

why the **** does Goodwin always need a mentor? Roos/Neil/Mccartney/Choco/Richardson

Do the job on your own son or **** off. We need that soft cap for proper forwardline coaches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis The Coach – Simon 'Standard Practice' Goodwin: It's time to go (for real this time)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back