The curious case of Chris Mayne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
if allowed to play as a genuine 3rd tall/medium fwd, will almost guarantee make your team better. .

You say that, but in the time he's been playing that role for us, we've had the worst forward line in the league.

That was pretty incredible though. We watched a player's brain explode so hard he lost us a game and got his ticket stamped in just 1 quarter of football
The part that makes me cringe is when he starts screaming PAAAV!! PAAAV!! at Pav to give him the ball when Pav was gonna take the advantage, it gets picked up through the umpires mic, then he gets it back and does his little dance. Just such a weird moment playing out on an AFL field.

Hope you guys can settle something between my brother and I...Should be s simple answer for you guys who watch all the games.

Did Mayne play the second half of this season in defence? A portion of the season?

Hope you guys can settle something between my brother and I...Should be s simple answer for you guys who watch all the games.

Did Mayne play the second half of this season in defence? A portion of the season?
Yep and looked pretty good there, first few games he was a swingman but the last 3 or so he played in defense the whole game

I'll give you the long winded answer.

He was first played there out of necessity when we ended up with no talls left in the defence. He did OK. Through the season he was moved there off and on through games, but most of the time played fwd. However, as others are saying, later in the season, not really second half, more like last 5-6 games, he was playing there at least as much as he was fwd. He'd still be fwd of centre at times, but more back.

tl;dr - After the first few rounds played as a genuine 'swingman', but more back as the season went on. However, he was never a full-time defender.

If your brother is a Collingwood recruiter, let him know he was brilliant in both positions, has a huge amount to offer any team and that he will be sorely missed should he go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw him two weekends ago (I think) in Kings Park. He had a Collingwood cap on. Actually he had two caps on, the magpie one was balanced over his normal cap - so I assume it was merchandise he was carrying to give away.
Normally if I recognise someone from the public sphere I don't bother them, but this time I wished him good luck at Collingwood. He thanked me and went on his way.
I think he will make Collingwood a better team. Which is a worry, because we were terrible against them the last time we played them.

I also think Mayne will be better with collingwood , a refresh will do him good.

The bloke gave 100% for us every game. With the personnel we'll have on the park in 2017 he would've struggled to hold down a spot in the 22 so it's better for him and us that he found a home somewhere else. Shame it wasn't somewhere decent :)

I'll always respect the effort he gave for us. Never squibbed it and went hard no matter whether we were 10 goals up or 10 goals down. You can't say that about everyone.

saw him two weekends ago (I think) in Kings Park. He had a Collingwood cap on. Actually he had
two caps on, the magpie one was balanced over his normal cap - so I assume it was merchandise he was carrying to give away.

Then you said, "Chuck it here Chop". And he threw it to you.
For it only to fly 20 foot to the right of you and over the fence.
Spinning like a helicopter, all the way down to Mounts Bay rd.

Mayne's career at the Pies will be determined by his first two or three kicks on goal, for his own confidence and to keep the wolves from his door. He misses them then he will have a much harder time shaking them.
I expect him to go berserk with a frenzied spate of tackling and run downs resulting in shots on goal. The stuff he is already elite at, supercharged with motivation to prove himself. After that the same debate about kicking goals versus attacking defensive pressure to ensew.

All the nuffies defending Mayne in this thread lol.

The guy is dead set terrible and the fact that he played 150 games in a row for us under Lyon is a massive indictment on our selection policies.

All the nuffies defending Mayne in this thread lol.

The guy is dead set terrible and the fact that he played 150 games in a row for us under Lyon is a massive indictment on our selection policies.
Huh, he was shit at the end and should have been dropped but he was good for a large chunk of his career. You post so much crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back