The Dockers will win their first premiership in 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Freo are playing good footy at the moment and I'd like to see that continue whilst improving as the season rolls on.

That is all.

Must suck having to crows this much about being top of the ladder at round 6 and having no actual success to talk about.
Pretty laughable given your posting efforts pre-2014 GF. Swans were going to walk it in according to you. Hasn't been a bigger humiliation on GF day for decades.

Get back to us when your club isn't deliberately kept competitive by the AFL.

Although there is no advantage in finishing top of the ladder by percentage or finishing top clear by x number of games, there advantage that comes with being x number of games clear towards the end of the season is the ability to rest, rotate and manage players. This is especially important for a team that travels every second week and has a number of key players in the twilight of their careers.
So, hopefully, it means the team is better prepared come finals time, better than in previous years.

Of course this is all pointless if freo start losing games, and it's only round 6. Nothings been achieved yet.

Freo has been sensational but WC's history is littered with sensational starts better than 6 nil, where thereafter a long season of travelling has proven too much.

It is simply a Herculean effort to win a GF when coming out of Perth and top 2 is simply a must that gives you a better than even chance providing you are not up against a Melbourne based club.

The GF being held is Melbourne only, is one of the most blatant rigging of results in any sport that considers itself a serious code.

For mine, I've only been listing factual stats and asserting that it looks good and is good right now. I didn't come into this thread to champion the title as set in stone or that the team is going to be premiers.

More that it looks good and thank heck we finally have a season for us that isn't so much musing about wishes and dreams, or of late the "promise" under Lyon - but actual results and a trend of reward for effort. I've mostly been speaking up the results we've had.

Sure, it could all change but it hasn't yet so lapping up the present :thumbsu: Call it arrogance I know I never said anything like the rest of the comp have no hope etc.

Freo has been sensational but WC's history is littered with sensational starts better than 6 nil, where thereafter a long season of travelling has proven too much.

It is simply a Herculean effort to win a GF when coming out of Perth and top 2 is simply a must that gives you a better than even chance providing you are not up against a Melbourne based club.

The GF being held is Melbourne only, is one of the most blatant rigging of results in any sport that considers itself a serious code.
IIRC West Coast have been top of the ladder more often than any other club during their existence.

You're giving Swans too much credit that game. Swans only came back because we pulled back, like we have with a lead against every team this year.
It was all part of the plan to give up seven goals in a row and only score two goals in a half including going goalless for a quarter and a half? I have to say, I'm doubtful

Interestingly of the last 7 sides to finish the season 2+ games clear at the top only 3 have gone on to win the flag.
2009 - Saints - lost
2008 - Geelong - lost

2007 - Geelong - won
2003 - Port - lost
2000 - Dons - won
1995 - Blues - won
1991 - WCE - lost

Of those all bar the Cats lost to the dominant team of the era.

Looking back at that list the bolded really should have won that year, they were that much better. That's pressure for you.
Geelong actually went into that GF as favourites.

Geelong actually went into that GF as favourites.
Yeah that was interesting - Cats had the far better finals series, and far fewer injury concerns. And, after the home and away match of the century, Cats decided to rest players, and lost a few more games after that, while St Kilda powered on. St Kilda's 20-2 form was no better than Geelong's 18-4 (which is still a fantastic win-loss rate in any given year).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Using the ladder on the AFL website you can look at what the ladder looked like in the following years at after round 6.

In the last 14 seasons only 6 times (italics) has the team sitting 1st after round 6 gone on to play in the GF. Only twice has that team gone on to win the flag (bolded). And you'll notice that both those times they've gone on to win the flag they didn't even have all 6 wins. The 4 teams that went on to lose the GF were 6-0.

The season is a marathon. Recent history suggests that if you're going to burst away from the pack it's more likely that it won't work out for you at the end of the season. I'm not saying Fremantle can't win it - they can - but this stat doesn't support it.

YEAR | 1st place @ end of round 6 | Premier

2014 Port Adelaide 5-1, Hawthorn
2013 Essendon 6-0, Hawthorn
2012 West Coast 6-0, Sydney
2011 Collingwood 6-0, Geelong
2010 Sydney 5-1, Collingwood
2009 St Kilda 6-0, Geelong
2008 Geelong 6-0, Hawthorn

2007 West Coast 6-0, Geelong
2006 Collingwood 5-1, West Coast
2005 West Coast 6-0, Sydney
2004 St Kilda 6-0, Port Adelaide
2003 Brisbane 5-0-1, Brisbane
2002 Brisbane 5-1, Brisbane

2001 Hawthorn 6-0, Brisbane

Using the ladder on the AFL website you can look at what the ladder looked like in the following years at after round 6.

In the last 14 seasons only 6 times (italics) has the team sitting 1st after round 6 gone on to play in the GF. Only twice has that team gone on to win the flag (bolded). And you'll notice that both those times they've gone on to win the flag they didn't even have all 6 wins. The 4 teams that went on to lose the GF were 6-0.

The season is a marathon. Recent history suggests that if you're going to burst away from the pack it's more likely that it won't work out for you at the end of the season. I'm not saying Fremantle can't win it - they can - but this stat doesn't support it.

YEAR | 1st place @ end of round 6 | Premier

2014 Port Adelaide 5-1, Hawthorn

2002 Brisbane 5-1, Brisbane

2001 Hawthorn 6-0, Brisbane
What is interesting is that many of those who won it were 6-0 at the same stage, despite not being first. Geelong 2011, Geelong 2009 and Hawthorn 2008 all were 6-0 in their premiership years.

All it really means though is that you're closer to securing top two, which could guarantee a spot in the GF.

At this point in the season the stat says that. I personally feel supremely confident going into each game. I'd be shocked to lose until round 14. I'm sure Hawks could feel the same, but as you said the competition is more even and the results aren't giving Hawks fans that assurance. I'm just maintaining unlike you that fremantle sits outside of that criteria (evenness) and the results show this. Played 4 of the 2014 top 8, 2 of the top 4 already.

I agree with you in most of the games I watch I think that "it could go either way" based on results seen this is true. And hence in our games based on results we are winning everything we play so my confidence is getting validated.

Everyone is right results and form in the finals matters most. But its a stark position and prediction we could be up to 4 games clear of SECOND by years end if 2-14 keep beating each other up.

saints of 2009 had a better start didnt they up until this point?

You're giving Swans too much credit that game. Swans only came back because we pulled back, like we have with a lead against every team this year.

And when the Swans actually reached a point they could take the lead back, Freo switched on again and we should of won by 3 or 4 goals more, the score flattered the Swans. You weren't any more of a threat than any team we've played this year.

Swans are certainly a strong team but using that game doesn't help your argument.

freo didnt pull back. swans changed how they played, are you not concerned that sydney got back into the game using the same game plan as hawthorn in 2013. short kicks laterally cut through your zone

freo have been in the media this week saying that didnt pull back against melbourne, so i'm not sure where you this idea from

freo didnt pull back. swans changed how they played, are you not concerned that sydney got back into the game using the same game plan as hawthorn in 2013. short kicks laterally cut through your zone

freo have been in the media this week saying that didnt pull back against melbourne, so i'm not sure where you this idea from
Your obsession is noted.

this is why freo supporters have a bad wrap lately
From who? You? We can disregard your thoughts on Fremantle.

this is why freo supporters have a bad wrap lately
Rightly so as well, we've not won a thing yet and it's still early days.

But if you're going to talk about bad wraps, why not tone down your incredibly loud mission to discredit Ross Lyon. Everyone knows the Saints had public boardroom issues during that period, and while the way Ross walked out wasn't exactly the most desirable of ways there's still food for thought there. The man is a good coach and by the looks of the season so far, may have finally realised his game plan needs changing.

So to tie in everything I just said, under Ross Lyon you went 19-0 and still lost the big one. That could happen to us, perhaps we don't even get that far or maybe finally Ross gets the premiership that he should of probably got with you guys. But he's still a good coach mate.

Their a top chance - however what i think - is they lack a real ruthless killer instinct

That game against West Coast at Subiaco - they should have annihilated - totally destroyed West Coast by about 120 points - they had them on their knees - then they ease up and just cruise to the line - West Coast should have been a shattered blooody rabble at the end of that game - full of mental demons - but they wernt - Freo let them off the look

The same thing happened against Essendon - the Bombers didnt do anything special in the last qtr - however Freo are happy to just cruise home - when the games safe - they dont go for the kill

You go back through Premiership teams - who had great eras - right back to Richmond in the late 60s - early 70s - all of them were feared - because they use to totally destroy teams - Freo dont do that

When did Freo last beat any opposition side by over 100 points ?

Their a top chance - however what i think - is they lack a real ruthless killer instinct

That game against West Coast at Subiaco - they should have annihilated - totally destroyed West Coast by about 120 points - they had them on their knees - then they ease up and just cruise to the line - West Coast should have been a shattered blooody rabble at the end of that game - full of mental demons - but they wernt - Freo let them off the look

The same thing happened against Essendon - the Bombers didnt do anything special in the last qtr - however Freo are happy to just cruise home - when the games safe - they dont go for the kill

You go back through Premiership teams - who had great eras - right back to Richmond in the late 60s - early 70s - all of them were feared - because they use to totally destroy teams - Freo dont do that

I agree with this completely. Few sides cruise to premierships.

Maybe we'll see it later in the year. But doing enough to get the job done isn't going to worry the very best. Hawthorn may be middling at 3-3 at the moment, but the way they handled Sydney last year in the GF shows us their best is far beyond Freo's.

Rightly so as well, we've not won a thing yet and it's still early days.

But if you're going to talk about bad wraps, why not tone down your incredibly loud mission to discredit Ross Lyon. Everyone knows the Saints had public boardroom issues during that period, and while the way Ross walked out wasn't exactly the most desirable of ways there's still food for thought there. The man is a good coach and by the looks of the season so far, may have finally realised his game plan needs changing.

So to tie in everything I just said, under Ross Lyon you went 19-0 and still lost the big one. That could happen to us, perhaps we don't even get that far or maybe finally Ross gets the premiership that he should of probably got with you guys. But he's still a good coach mate.

dont miss ross's financial plight there. that was probably reason number 1 before you even get to the saints board

From the presser itself. They are purposefully taking the foot off the gas and messing with structures to conserve and manage through the season, and are still 6-0 having played 2 top 4 teams from 2014.

Set aside the fact that this is what it blatantly looks like, my opinion and the rhetoric from my posts is not at all reflective of my fellow supporters. Almost no one is as chuffed and assured as me, everyone is saying calm down on our boards, means nothing/chill etc etc. No one believes in the trend to the extent I do. All good, they have their way of digesting the results and reward for effort so far.

The majority are playing it down like Ross does. Focusing on how it means nothing. One injury away from it all falling down blah blah. I realize also it might mean nothing later. But to me it's worth indulging in a little for the chance it continues and I'll have had all that time enjoying the success. Never said the premiership is ours. Earlier this page I was quoted indulging a hypothetical someone else suggested. They said if we were undefeated it would mean nothing, just because some other teams in other years had done it and not had ultimate success... Quite brilliant.

I don't think that matters a hell of a lot. Look at how many teams with stupidly high percentages couldn't cut in in September

Eg. West Coast 1991, Geelong 1992 & 2008 (and 2010 it must be said), Adelaide '06, St Kilda, '09 and Collingwood's whopping 167% in 2011.

These teams habitually destroyed their opponents but the ability top kick more goals when you're 10 goals in front, isn't as important as the ability to kick 4-5 quick goals when the game is on the line.

Make no mistake, WCE players would be fully aware how inferior they are to the Dockers, who eased the foot off at half time and still won by five goals.

The Lions three-peat team was sort of similar I remember - they would regularly establish an 8-9 goal lead and then just hold it. They had a hunger for the contest, and to win important contests. Not showtime antics (except Aker I guess). I think this what brought Geelong undone in 2008, in all honesty. They were a brilliant team to watch and put together amazing passages of play - but that's all good and well when you're winning so convincingly. Contrast that, to 2009 when, particularly late in the season they were made to fight and scrap for wins. They were all the better for it when it came to clinches the GF that year.

Besides Freo have a % of 150 which is pretty darn healthy

Provides substance to an earlier post if I don't say so myself.

Not quite ready to make application to the Australian Antarctic Research Station:

YEAR | 1st place @ end of round 6 | Premier 2014 Port Adelaide 5-1, Hawthorn