The dying moments of 1987 Preliminary Final - Melbourne VS Hawthorn ....

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: The dying moments of he prelim of 87 Melbourne VS Hawthorn

Watched this on channel 7 on Footy Flashbacks on the weekend.
Couldnt believe how many skill errors there were around in those days compared to now.
Players would be killed if mistakes like that were made, skill level has come a long way.

I was at this game with my old man (I was 12) on the outer wing and this was the day he decided that we were going to 'beat the traffic'.

Yes, we left as Eishold lined up for that miss. Heard the roar as Bucky kicked the next, and by the time the siren blew, I was trying to get back in but couldn't see anything.

I still haven't forgotten that one...:eek:

Hi all, i'm a newbee and have been reading your threads for awhile now but this one grabbed me.
I remember it vividly, I was at that game with family and a mate, my family always had a history of leaving games early, and as the Hawks were'nt showing form on this day to win, they upped and went, my mate made we stay and watch to the end. I couldn't beleive it, especially when Bucky had the footy and Stynes then ran over the mark, and he kicked the goal. The demon fans were devasted, so many were crying, all I could do was laugh knowing we were about to play off in another GF. Great highlight.
Briefly, I'm 52 have been a Hawk fan the day I enetered the world, I'm a member, as is my family (4 childies and wife). Have lived in QLD for the last 13 years. Saw the Hawks in Tassie last month, followed up with the Buddy show at the Gabba, loved it. In Melbourne in two weeks to see family, don't worry the Hawks are also my family.

I saw it on footy flashbacks as well. I loved the interview with Stynes. He even congratulated the ump for having the guts to make the call.

He takes it all with good grace and is a class act. Good on ya Jimmy.

I was there too with my old man. He was a good bloke. He kept apologising to the Melbourne fans on the way out.

A remarkable day in that the wind changed directions 3 times, each time to the advantage of the Demons.

Melbourne were on fire for most of the day, but the Hawks just kept plugging away. If there was one thing which characterised the Hawthorn Footy Club during that phenominal era it was doggedness. Never give in despite the odds, trust in your abilities and that of your teammates.

How good was Langford in those last 5 minites?

I was surrounded by very cocky and loud Demon fans and to see them so happy for the entire duration of the match and go away empty handed was one of my happiest moments at the Footy.

In retrospect it was our Grand Final as all that emotional outpouring left us very flat the next week. Similar to our great win against Adelaide and how we performed in last years Semi against North.

Welcome aboard 9soontobe10.

Remember the day well - had to work so I spent most of the day walking around with my walkman on looking exasperated as if I had been robbed.

It was just such as shame that Dunstall was injured, denying us the fourpeat.

I saw a post from Chewy recently were he quoted Brereton as saying the '87 side was the best of the lot.

talk about earning your spot in the GF! i wish they'd bring back the 15 meters too, 50's way too much

Don't remember a lot about the game apart from the fact that it was very hard and we were down all day.

I do however remember seeing demon supporters crying after bucky stuck it through.

Couldn't have asked for a better bloke to be kicking for goal, Bucky was deadly around the big sticks. Was probably the greatest match I've ever attended. I was 11yo and cried tears of joy after the siren.:eek:

Probably cost us a decent shot at the flag, we were spent and the mid-30 degree day the following week was the writing on the wall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They had the wind for three quarters of the game, and still couldn't beat us!

And 21 years later, and I still get a laugh at the crying Demon fans!
The match interrupts their weekend at the snow, and the fans end up in tears :D

Remove this Banner Ad

The dying moments of 1987 Preliminary Final - Melbourne VS Hawthorn ....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back