The "Final 8 + Richmond" already set

Remove this Banner Ad

I just think with the list you have, you should have been playing finals two years ago instead of teams like North last year. But then again, you were coming from a fair way back with the Wallace era, so there's that.

You're making a bit more sense now. We didn't have the list the last cpl of years and if we had have done that it would be a false dawn.
Everyone knows north got in last year on the back of a very easy draw, look what has happened this season... It's balanced out.

They also renewed Scott's contract based on last year. You could argue that making the finals before your squad is developed to make it consistently is detrimental to your future. Ie Scott's extension.

I just think with the list you have, you should have been playing finals two years ago instead of teams like North last year. But then again, you were coming from a fair way back with the Wallace era, so there's that.

If your other post said "Carlton" instead of Richmond you would've been spot on. Going into 2011 everyone was saying we were 4-5 years away from finals. Not sure what you've been drinking but I'd like some.

You're making a bit more sense now. We didn't have the list the last cpl of years and if we had have done that it would be a false dawn.
Everyone knows north got in last year on the back of a very easy draw, look what has happened this season... It's balanced out.

They also renewed Scott's contract based on last year. You could argue that making the finals before your squad is developed to make it consistently is detrimental to your future. Ie Scott's extension.

I would venture that it's only a false dawn if you are 'lucking' it in by playing the kind of football that doesn't stand up well in finals. If Port made it (and I'm not saying they will) on the back of a soft draw, then I'd agree. But our last two games have shown a tenacity and intent that augers well for our progress over the next few years with natural development.

You're right about North though. I take exception to anyone associating us with them.

If your other post said "Carlton" instead of Richmond you would've been spot on. Going into 2011 everyone was saying we were 4-5 years away from finals. Not sure what you've been drinking but I'd like some.

Anejo Tequila :p

Angus Graham was our number one ruck.
Mitch Farmer played 11 games.
Nahas - 22.
McGuane - 14
Brad Miller - 14
White - 12
Morton - 9
Thursfield - 10
Post - 8
Andrew Browne - 7
Hislop - 5
Webberley - 5

That's 131 games from players who are/were potatos. That's 6 spuds lining up for us each week. And that's not including guys like King, Jackson, a 1st year Batchelor and a 1st year Conca.

We were a mile off the top 8.

I would venture that it's only a false dawn if you are 'lucking' it in by playing the kind of football that doesn't stand up well in finals. If Port made it (and I'm not saying they will) on the back of a soft draw, then I'd agree. But our last two games have shown a tenacity and intent that augers well for our progress over the next few years with natural development.

You're right about North though. I take exception to anyone associating us with them.

Anejo Tequila :p
I wasn't comparing port to north. Reckon you guys will become a force over the next few years.

Oh and send a shot my way

Angus Graham was our number one ruck.
Mitch Farmer played 11 games.
Nahas - 22.
McGuane - 14
Brad Miller - 14
White - 12
Morton - 9
Thursfield - 10
Post - 8
Andrew Browne - 7
Hislop - 5
Webberley - 5

That's 131 games from players who are/were potatos. That's 6 spuds lining up for us each week. And that's not including guys like King, Jackson, a 1st year Batchelor and a 1st year Conca.

We were a mile off the top 8.

I stand corrected :eek: Though I do remember Nahas tearing us a new one when we played you, so maybe that skews perception somewhat....

Richmond fans hope that Port falls out because if they don't it will mean they have to accept what everyone else already knows - that they pissed the last few years up the wall.

lolwat
EIehqOz.gif

Noooo. Our 2011 teams were a year per player younger than 2013 Port. No more entitled to play finals than Gold Coast this year, and given the relative hands at the draft table, much less entitled.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Youth is irrelevant

The people who believe that are the same sort of people who believe goalkicking hasn't improved down the years. Stats for the last 10 years:

Age range|M|W|L|D|Win %
\< 22|23|2|21|-|8.70
\22-22.5|29|3|26|-|10.34
\22.5-23|91|23|66|2|26.37
\23-23.5|198|74|122|2|37.88
\23.5-24|436|173|257|6|40.37
\24-24.5|745|342|397|6|46.31
\24.5-25|668|333|328|7|50.37
\25-25.5|618|343|271|4|55.83
\25.5+|806|496|301|9|62.10
Average age after 12 games:

Year|Richmond|Port|Gold Coast
\2011|23.02|24.26|22.45
\2012|23.87|24.22|22.64
\2013|24.99|23.76|23.10
Illustrates a number of things:

- Richmond 2011 = GC 2013
- Richmond 2012 = Port 2013
- Port under Primus = going nowhere

Port should beat St Kilda. In Queensland I'd be nervous about Brisbane or GC, but I think at AAMI we'll get over both of them. Given that, I'd guess that if Port beat at least one of Adelaide and Carlton (preferably Carlton, since I think they're our main competition), we'll make the finals. Those are both proverbial '8 point games'.

Richmond fans hope that Port falls out because if they don't it will mean they have to accept what everyone else already knows - that they pissed the last few years up the wall.

wtf r u on? we have shown steady improvement since dimmas arrival and it seems you're talking for everyone else, i havent seen any posts re what u stated please show us all these so called posts!!!
And btw id rather u guys make it than carlton....

Pies may have had a few out but Port are playing with belief and intensity that we haven't seen for years. Not to mention they have the best young list in the comp bar GC and GWS. If they can keep it up, they could make top 4. I'll be tipping them to beat Essendon next week and the Hawthorn game is going to be an absolute cracker.

No.

I'd be utterly amazed if we didn't make finals, we should win at least another 4-5 games this season, which would give us 12-13 wins. We deserve to make the 8 too, played some of the best footy you'll see this season. The lid is well and truly off now

Pies may have had a few out but Port are playing with belief and intensity that we haven't seen for years. Not to mention they have the best young list in the comp bar GC and GWS. If they can keep it up, they could make top 4. I'll be tipping them to beat Essendon next week and the Hawthorn game is going to be an absolute cracker.

Let's not jump to conclusions, Essendon will be favourites, and Port did lose to Footscray, and had shockers against Geelong and Richmond. This suggests a) that this side is inconsistent, and b) that they have a while to go before they can claim to be possibly a chance for top four.

That said, I like the look of Port's list. I said a while ago that Port had a better midfield than Port, and North fans almost ripped my head off. I stand by those comments. Wines is a beauty.

I'd be utterly amazed if we didn't make finals, we should win at least another 4-5 games this season, which would give us 12-13 wins. We deserve to make the 8 too, played some of the best footy you'll see this season. The lid is well and truly off now

Agreed the Power deserve to play finals on the back of some inspired footy :thumbsu: If they can keep it up that is

Youth is irrelevant

Richmond side today was only two months older than Saints kilda. And six months older than the dogs last week. :thumbsu:

Western Bulldogs
Attribute
Richmond

186.6cm Height 187.3cm
86.5kg Weight 88.3kg
24yr 5mth Age 24yr 11mth
74.1 Games 86.1
Average Attributes
Richmond
Attribute
St Kilda

186.6cm Height 187.6cm
88.0kg Weight 85.3kg
25yr 1mth Age 24yr 11mth
82.3 Games 80.0

Let's not jump to conclusions, Essendon will be favourites, and Port did lose to Footscray, and had shockers against Geelong and Richmond. This suggests a) that this side is inconsistent, and b) that they have a while to go before they can claim to be possibly a chance for top four.

That said, I like the look of Port's list. I said a while ago that Port had a better midfield than Port, and North fans almost ripped my head off. I stand by those comments. Wines is a beauty.
what i like is the way they structure up. imo we have it over them in the midfield but they have better balance between sml/med and talls across the ground.
they dont play many sml players in fact neade is the only one i can think of their mids and flankers are in the main big bodied , tall or both. they are structuring up more and more like geelong every day.
of all the teams in contention we have the worst set up in talls its of real concern.
its going to be real interesting when we come up against the likes of sydney hawthorn and to a lesser degree thru injuries freo.
just for the sake of debate i still want to see us in time down back go
b/ morris - chaplin - grimes
hb/ mcintosh - rance - batchelor/houli.
that my friend is the way the game has gone.

what i like is the way they structure up. imo we have it over them in the midfield but they have better balance between sml/med and talls across the ground.
they dont play many sml players in fact neade is the only one i can think of their mids and flankers are in the main big bodied , tall or both. they are structuring up more and more like geelong every day.
of all the teams in contention we have the worst set up in talls its of real concern.
its going to be real interesting when we come up against the likes of sydney hawthorn and to a lesser degree thru injuries freo.
just for the sake of debate i still want to see us in time down back go
b/ morris - chaplin - grimes
hb/ mcintosh - rance - batchelor/houli.
that my friend is the way the game has gone.

that is our back 6 with the inclusion of mcintosh... :rainbow:

Remove this Banner Ad

The "Final 8 + Richmond" already set

Remove this Banner Ad

Back