The Final Story - 1971 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

They mentioned there was a $500 bounty on taking out Hudson. thats several tens of thousands in dodays money.

Knowing St Kilda they never actually paid out !!!

How good was scottys goal through traffic ? very Dew-like

They mentioned there was a $500 bounty on taking out Hudson. thats several tens of thousands in dodays money.

Knowing St Kilda they never actually paid out !!!

How good was scottys goal through traffic ? very Dew-like

That goal of Scotts was crazy, worse bounce for St Kilda than what Milne got in last years GF. Barassi in the commentary about moving Hudson out to CHF was funny, just dismissed it on the spot yet it was the difference with Keddie going to FF & kicking 4 goals.

What I found strange about the match was despite the king hits & sniping from both sides an all in brawl never broke out. That match could've exploded any number of times like many other GFs over the years yet somehow never did.

It was never explained how Hudsons ear ended up like it did, it couldn't have been from being belted by Neale as that was a punch.

One of the bravest things to come out of the match was the effort of Murray to try & play forward despite an ACL injury to his knee, probably hardly played after that.

Jeans, without saying his name, implied that Ditteritch was the reason St Kilda lost when he said that in all the GFs he lost as coach his team was beaten in the ruck. The St Kilda players in the show thought that Ditteritch played well & that his 3rd quater was one out of the box. Jeans might've been a bit harsh on Carl.

Another 3 of these shows to go, will watch them all. Was a great show.

Superb viewing. Perhaps in the best 5 footy docos made.
Hudson did get his injury from 'cowboy' Neale...that is why Neale was so apologetic throughout the entire show...bit late now though.
I hadn't heard too much before of Don Scott getting the players to huddle up again and implore them to win.
It was interesting to hear Jeansie bemoan the fact that all his lost grand finals were due to opposition ruck dominance.

I reckon these will be available in stores by the end of the year.:thumbsu:

Fantastic watch! A great insight into the game in those days from someone born after the fact (72).

Interesting how Kennedy seemingly had conceded defeat at 3q time, and just inspirational leadership by Scott to gather the team and refuse to lay down.

A magnificent victory.

Watched it today and enjoyed it. Good to see colour footage of the grand final, the build up before the game and the impact the game had on the players after the game.

I enjoy watching John Kennedy being interviewed. The bloke is a legend. I liked his comment about the difference in hype with today's football "any player that just sneezes, its news now".

Fantastic watch! A great insight into the game in those days from someone born after the fact (72).

Interesting how Kennedy seemingly had conceded defeat at 3q time, and just inspirational leadership by Scott to gather the team and refuse to lay down.

A magnificent victory.

Agreed...Scotty was amazing

He wasn't the most skilled but his passion and never-say-die attitude won us that game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what is it with channel nine? don't they realise that there are AFL and Hawks fans all over the country. aso on a quiet Sunday arvo...we get a load of stupid repeats when i would have loved to see this show. Doesn't look like anyone has bothered to upload it either...... really anoys me

what is it with channel nine? don't they realise that there are AFL and Hawks fans all over the country. aso on a quiet Sunday arvo...we get a load of stupid repeats when i would have loved to see this show. Doesn't look like anyone has bothered to upload it either...... really anoys me

Check your PMs.

As a non victorian some may have to rely on torrents.

I have just returned from the Gold Coast. And I watched the 1971 Story. I was very very young at the time. I was amazed at the footage. And loved hearing the players reflections. What I also noticed was no advertising around the ground.

We all have opinions as to the best player we've seen, but Huddo was the most amazing player I've seen. Wasn't very quick, not strong overhead, nor was he a classic kick of the ball in the purest sense.

However, he was pure genius. His read of the ball and clever use of the body made him almost unstoppable as you say.

I got a glimpse of it and I was rivetted. Poor Huddo!!! That cowbot thug, ugh....oh well

I can't believe you got to see him! Who is he like in modern days terms? Right now, Im thinking Butcher? Love to know who, even over the last two decades

PS I got to see Lethal......and I loved it!!!!!!

I got a glimpse of it and I was rivetted. Poor Huddo!!! That cowbot thug, ugh....oh well

I can't believe you got to see him! Who is he like in modern days terms? Right now, Im thinking Butcher? :rolleyes: Love to know who, even over the last two decades

PS I got to see Lethal......and I loved it!!!!!!

Hudson ain't like nobody or is it that nobody is like Hudson. I just wish that some of the real, real oldies could give me a fair comparison with Coleman.

AH sums him up well although Alf Brown, the leading football journalist at the time, is on record as saying that Hudson is the fastest big man he ever saw.

He is the best footballer I have seen. Almost certainly the computer geeks can refer you to the Hudson highlights video. What you will see there is what Hudson did every week,every month, every season for four unbelievable years, plus one more on one leg.

Hey Mods can I write another two pages about the great one?

Check out the umpiring in the grannie. Umpire peter Sheales it is.

One man controlled that game which many claim to be the most physical grand final ever. Shealsy never blinked, he jogged up and down the centre of the ground and got just about every decision correct. Being such a physical game, why no all in brawl?, because he had the respect of the players. If you watch closely you will see that his decisions are very rarely challenged by players and when he blew his whistle the players knew exactly what the free was for and for whom.

A far cry from today's Wiggles.

My big regret with the 1971 grand final story that I wrote is that I never really mentioned Shiels.

Huddo did one of the most amazing things I've ever seen on a footy field. Not amazing in terms of the spectacular (ala Rioli), but in degree of difficulty. It's hard to paint the picture, but I'll do my best.

A player kicked a long ball to Hudson. As the ball come towards him, he continued to block his opponent off the ball with clever use of the body. He never held with the hands, just positioning of the body. As the ball was about to hit the ground, Huddo placed his hand over the top, trapping it on the ground, and in one motion casually soccered it through for a goal.

May not sound much, but I challenge anyone to try it. Almost impossible, but Huddo did it. All the commentator could say was, "Look at that ..... look at THAT!!!".

Like Lord Mud, I could fill pages with accolades about the great man ... the reason I became a Hawthorn supporter, way back in 1968.

Comparison? Nobody comes close.

From the newly released "Golden Years", a funny story was told by Kelvin Moore and Leon Rice. After they'd won the 71 flag, they dropped off at a hotel to get some beer for a party at their girlfriends' place later that evening.

While they were there, they walked around asking people who won the footy. People knew Hawthorn had won, but not one person recognised Moore nor Rice. They were a little put out by that.

Anyway, they dropped off the beer, then headed to the club. Later on they returned to the party, only to find the women were drunk and all the beer was gone except for one bottle :)

Hey Mods can I write another two pages about the great one?

Like Lord Mud, I could fill pages with accolades about the great man ... the reason I became a Hawthorn supporter, way back in 1968.

Gentlemen, the floor is yours and I'll take great pleasure in reading your words. Big Footy has new servers, so type to your heart's content.

My old man loved Hudson, but still rates Mathews in front of him. Oh to be blessed with such talent playing for our team in one lifetime. Then there was Knights...

Huddo did one of the most amazing things I've ever seen on a footy field. Not amazing in terms of the spectacular (ala Rioli), but in degree of difficulty. It's hard to paint the picture, but I'll do my best.

A player kicked a long ball to Hudson. As the ball come towards him, he continued to block his opponent off the ball with clever use of the body. He never held with the hands, just positioning of the body. As the ball was about to hit the ground, Huddo placed his hand over the top, trapping it on the ground, and in one motion casually soccered it through for a goal.

May not sound much, but I challenge anyone to try it. Almost impossible, but Huddo did it. All the commentator could say was, "Look at that ..... look at THAT!!!".

Comparison? Nobody comes close.
You ever met the great man? One of the nicest footy blokes i've ever met. If ever there was a footy player who could be excused for being arrogant, Huddo is that man, but he was a real gentleman and actually took the time to talk to me and my friends.

Class personified. :thumbsu:

He was on the marngrook footy show a few weeks ago and seemed like a great bloke and at ease with the world. Has the class to know what footy show to appear on as well.

[youtube]nzswmgKUbBg[/youtube]

Remove this Banner Ad

The Final Story - 1971 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back