Opinion The forgotten Lynchpin

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 15, 2009
The Devil's personal coke roadie
AFL Club
Collingwood
One thing that has struck me this off season is how much Lynch has disappeared from thinking. We are all focussing on the new guys, for obvious reasons, and the forward prospect most in the frame is of course White.

We forget how good Lynch looked briefly at the start of last year. He then looked atrocious, but there are suggestions he managed to 'cook' his body early by pushing too hard and carried injuries ever after.

Does anyone think Lynch could play a big part this year, for example as a pure power forward? Is it all over for the Q stick, or could he have one last glorious season before the end?

Lynch performed admirably as a second ruck last year, providing some good link-up through the midfield and putting in around the ground. However, he was very disappointing as a second tall forward, which was once his real strength. Struggled to have an impact as a forward, looked to have lost some toe on the lead and his legendary long and accurate shots for goal seemed the thing of days past.

Can't write a player of his quality and experience off but, he looks to be handy depth at best unless he can lift to another gear and given his age that is a 50/50 call.

One thing that has struck me this off season is how much Lynch has disappeared from thinking. We are all focussing on the new guys, for obvious reasons, and the forward prospect most in the frame is of course White.

We forget how good Lynch looked briefly at the start of last year. He then looked atrocious, but there are suggestions he managed to 'cook' his body early by pushing too hard and carried injuries ever after.

Does anyone think Lynch could play a big part this year, for example as a pure power forward? Is it all over for the Q stick, or could he have one last glorious season before the end?

Injuries don't make you unable to kick straight from 20 meters out directly in front of goal. The Jessie White recruitment means it's pretty much career over for him barring some miraculous form turnaround.

We can't play Reid Cloke Grundy White and Lynch in the same team, which one are you going to drop?

Injuries don't make you unable to kick straight from 20 meters out directly in front of goal. The Jessie White recruitment means it's pretty much career over for him barring some miraculous form turnaround.

We can't play Reid Cloke Grundy White and Lynch in the same team, which one are you going to drop?

Back injuries can screw with your kicking.

I agree on your list if all are forwards, but if Reid stays back with only occasional forays forward, you have

Reid Cloke Grundy White Lynch, compared for example to
Reid Cloke Jolly Brown Dawes.

Back injuries can screw with your kicking.

I agree on your list if all are forwards, but if Reid stays back with only occasional forays forward, you have

Reid Cloke Grundy White Lynch, compared for example to
Reid Cloke Jolly Brown Dawes.

back in 2010 it was Cloke Dawes Brown/Jolly

in 2014 it will be cloke white reid/grundy.

Lynch can't mark or kick and is barely okay in the ruck, add to that he is really old and we need to blood young players.. I see no reason to play him unless we have a few injuries.

I see Lynch as a back up ruckman. He played his best for us last season in the ruck, where he is mobile and can get a lot of the ball. If a Grundy is struggling then its a toss of the coin between Hudson, Witts and Lynch to sholder the load. Just an opinion dont shoot me ;)

Lynch was never going to set the world on fire at his age. I think some people had unreasonable expectations of him once he signed for us.
I see something similar with White. They are role players not outright stars. They still have a place in the side, but lets not burden them with expectations that they can't meet.

I had heard Lynch carried a fairly severe back injury which limited his output and we all saw that his confidence suffered. Is there any reason that if Lynch has a better run with injury that he may be our wildcard if all the attention from the opposition goes on Cloke and White. West Coast used him as a 3rd tall and we also had success with the same set up when Brown got under everyone's guard in 2010.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's another year older. He's finished. He was finished in 2012 finals against us at the G.

Not good enough to be a second key forward in a two talls forward line - first half of last year proved that

Maybe good enough to be the third tall / back up ruck, IF the injury commentary is accurate. White's history suggests he is no certainty to perform consistently either. I think it's 50/50 who is in front as the commentary from the coaching staff at the end of lady year was pretty positive about Lynch battling on thru injury.

The Q-sticks role with us will be as a 3rd tall/back up ruckman. That was his best role when in his last few years at WCE.

If Reid plays forward, Q is back up to White. If Reid plays back, we may see the odd game from Q with White playing as a permanent tall forward.

FINISHED!!! Done, gone, past it, over. I was appalled when we signed him in the first place. We finally got rid of the Mack truck clogging our forward line in Dawes and we replace him with another one. At least Jesse White can run, he might actually take a few marks as a result of leading, not just sitting himself in the forward pocket with his arm up, like a 3rd grader wanting to go to the toilet. Sorry Quentin but you should have been a one club player.

Not good enough to be a second key forward in a two talls forward line - first half of last year proved that

Maybe good enough to be the third tall / back up ruck, IF the injury commentary is accurate. White's history suggests he is no certainty to perform consistently either. I think it's 50/50 who is in front as the commentary from the coaching staff at the end of lady year was pretty positive about Lynch battling on thru injury.

I doubt he'd be playing that role though. He'd be a third tall forward pinch hit ruck.

I'm interested in peoples thoughts on him in this role?

White and Witts are his only real competition. White gets the nod on form probably but who knows who is having a better preseason?

Lynch has shown some good form with us, not nearly enough but it goes to show at his best he is an asset. It'll be a fight for Lynch, and he is coming from a ways back, but I wouldn't say he is cooked just yet.

In fairness to Lynch, he is one of the fittest players on our list and one of our best trainers. Yes, he struggled in front of goal, but he did manage to get up the ground and attempted to influence play. He played his best games when he was gathering touches on the wing and through the centre. Cloke did seem to appreciate the role Lynch played in the forward line no matter how limited it was. I can't say whether it is old age or injuries which have clearly diminished his kicking power. I would love to hear the real story behind why he struggles to kick over 40m when only a year earlier he could launch it from the centre square with ease. Frankly, if he comes good it's now a bonus to us. Worst case, he plays VFL whilst being a great influence at the club and a respected team mate. It is not as though he cost us any players in trade, despite what some of the Dawes fans on here will preach.

As some have mentioned we should have never expected too much as we signed him at the end of his career. He may be able to offer something in 2014 if fit but White is favorite to get the role Lynch is most suitable for IMHO. I expect Reid to be a fairly permanent KPF this year. White if he maintains his 2013 form should have a place. However he still has a fairly long CV of 2nds footy behind him so his form will still be a questionmark. I like that both White and Lynch appear to be battle=ing for 1 spot.

The other possible player for that role is Witts. If he really kicked on he could make it tough for both of the others. That would probably be the perfect senario.

As some have mentioned we should have never expected too much as we signed him at the end of his career. He may be able to offer something in 2014 if fit but White is favorite to get the role Lynch is most suitable for IMHO. I expect Reid to be a fairly permanent KPF this year. White if he maintains his 2013 form should have a place. However he still has a fairly long CV of 2nds footy behind him so his form will still be a questionmark. I like that both White and Lynch appear to be battle=ing for 1 spot.

The other possible player for that role is Witts. If he really kicked on he could make it tough for both of the others. That would probably be the perfect senario.

Totally agree, I hope Witts develops and pushes both White and Lynch out of the team. Although that may take a few years. I'm thinking big Witts might take a while to come on, a bit like Zac Clarke from Freo.

I watched a few East Perth games in which Clarke played and the guy dominated, a bit like Wittsy does in the VFL, it just took a bit of time for Clarke to show his WAFL form in the AFL. But once Witts starts to find his straps, we are going to have a Cox/Nicnat style ruck duo in Grundy/Witts. Only it will be more like Cox/Sandilands. Makes your mouth water doesn't it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion The forgotten Lynchpin

Remove this Banner Ad

Back