Mega Thread The Former Player Thread: Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Dawson and Allir with the others a chance depending on fitness. Most ex players are playing good footy and in some cases like Nank have been very playing well.

GRohan, Jones and Dylan seems to be struggling.

Based on their current form, how many former Swans players would make it into the team? Only certainty for me would be Dawson. Aliir for Melican maybe? Mitchell. Hewett, Cameron, Nankervis, Newman. Based on how well we are playing, none of them would be certainties for mine. Probably forgetting one or two.
Dawson would come in for Roberts/Campbell. Possibly rotating with JMac for the wing/hbf
Aliir would be competing with Francis as the back up tall defender/Rampe replacement
Cameron/Nank would be competing with McLean as the 3rd tall forward who rucks. Not sure how either of them are at being forward as I think McLean is the better forward of the 3. Would be ahead of Ladhams if Grundy gets injured/suspended
Hewett would be behind Adams, Parker and Mills
Newman would be well behind Blakey, Florent, Roberts and Mills

Dawson would come in for Roberts/Campbell. Possibly rotating with JMac for the wing/hbf
Aliir would be competing with Francis as the back up tall defender/Rampe replacement
Cameron/Nank would be competing with McLean as the 3rd tall forward who rucks. Not sure how either of them are at being forward as I think McLean is the better forward of the 3. Would be ahead of Ladhams if Grundy gets injured/suspended
Hewett would be behind Adams, Parker and Mills
Newman would be well behind Blakey, Florent, Roberts and Mills

Newman would comfortably be in our best 22, you clearly haven’t watched him since he left

Newman would comfortably be in our best 22, you clearly haven’t watched him since he left
Watched a few Carlton games this year. Been alright but not as damaging or line breaking as Florrent or Blakey. Would he get a game in front of Lloyd? That's the only change I'd consider.

Might be best 26 but not best 22

Watched a few Carlton games this year. Been alright but not as damaging or line breaking as Florrent or Blakey. Would he get a game in front of Lloyd? That's the only change I'd consider.

Might be best 26 but not best 22
Would replace any of Lloyd Roberts Cunningham or Campbell

Can play as a lock down or line breaking defender

Is probably on par with Florent

George Hewett is one of the great people in footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

George Hewett is one of the great people in footy.

At the risk of copping a bit of flack on here and I'm not having a go at you Caesar or George himself, but why does this make George one of the great people in footy as opposed to any other footy dad having a kick with his son in the rooms afterwards?

Maybe I'm just becoming a hardened old bitch, but to me that's nothing more than a sweet moment that could be filmed in most dressing rooms across the country. Or am I missing something?

We wouldn't have gone for Adams had we still had Hewett on our list.

Dawson would make us unbelievably strong.

Aliir I think wouldn't be best 22 through no fault of his own. Probably be played out of position at FF and kill it in the VFL.

Newman I don't think adds that much. I know he gets a lot of the ball but isn't particularly damaging.

Funny thing, I reckon had we kept all these players we would have won a premiership in the last few years rather than still pushing for it

At the risk of copping a bit of flack on here and I'm not having a go at you Caesar or George himself, but why does this make George one of the great people in footy as opposed to any other footy dad having a kick with his son in the rooms afterwards?

Maybe I'm just becoming a hardened old bitch, but to me that's nothing more than a sweet moment that could be filmed in most dressing rooms across the country. Or am I missing something?
Nah it's a fair question Jewels. I guess for me, and I can't speak for anyone else, but Hewett just hasn't put a foot wrong his entire career in terms of how he's conducted himself. At the Swans he was regarded as the hardest-working and most professional player, and Michael Voss was quoted as saying the same since he's been at Carlton. Hasn't once bad-mouthed the Swans since moving to Carlton. He's just a very fair and very good footballer. And all evidence suggests he's a very good human and father as well.

Now outside of footy, sure, all of the above wouldn't be that noteworthy. But the footy industry is filled with flogs. Blokes who are either flogs on the field, off the field, or both. There's a lot of them and a number of them get a lot of attention and even adoration for being flogs.

So yeah I think the good ones that are in footy deserve every shoutout we can give them. It won't change anything but they deserve the acknowledgments IMO.

Nah it's a fair question Jewels. I guess for me, and I can't speak for anyone else, but Hewett just hasn't put a foot wrong his entire career in terms of how he's conducted himself. At the Swans he was regarded as the hardest-working and most professional player, and Michael Voss was quoted as saying the same since he's been at Carlton. Hasn't once bad-mouthed the Swans since moving to Carlton. He's just a very fair and very good footballer. And all evidence suggests he's a very good human and father as well.

Now outside of footy, sure, all of the above wouldn't be that noteworthy. But the footy industry is filled with flogs. Blokes who are either flogs on the field, off the field, or both. There's a lot of them and a number of them get a lot of attention and even adoration for being flogs.

So yeah I think the good ones that are in footy deserve every shoutout we can give them. It won't change anything but they deserve the acknowledgments IMO.
Good response Caesar, very fair and totally correct. I get your point now.

Former Swan Cam Owen to make his debut for Footscray at VFL level today against his old team. Named at fullback for what it's worth, but wonder if he will play there?

Don't know if he was playing elsewhere earlier this season or maybe he has been injured/not selected until now?

All the best to Anthony Rocca who is battling cancer

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread The Former Player Thread: Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back