Mega Thread The Former Player Thread: Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep saw this. Totally rude and unprofessional. I wondered who the journo was. Think he was taken a back from it actually. Should of called Taylor out on it by turning his back on him.
A few years back I remember he literally interrupted a reporter's interview with Rowbottom so he could steal him for the TV segment. The reporter had to cut his interview short because it had been hijacked by BT and the TV cameras. No idea how channel 7 were allowed to get away with it. They just cannot be interfering with other people's work.

There's fears for Sam Naismith who may have done another knee injury. I hope not. I feel for the poor bastard.

A few years back I remember he literally interrupted a reporter's interview with Rowbottom so he could steal him for the TV segment. The reporter had to cut his interview short because it had been hijacked by BT and the TV cameras. No idea how channel 7 were allowed to get away with it. They just cannot be interfering with other people's work.
Agree. I suppose you can also put it down to the fact he is not a professional journo. A former plumber who played in an era where they trained twice a week, lit up a ciggy at half time and drank cans as a recovery straight after a game. Combine that with his oafish acts of idiocy and this what 7 are proudly dishing up. When I look at our journo's, analysts and broadcasters in our game on 7 & Fox in comparison to the quality of Broadcasters like ESPN I shake my head.

Agree. I suppose you can also put it down to the fact he is not a professional journo. A former plumber who played in an era where they trained twice a week, lit up a ciggy at half time and drank cans as a recovery straight after a game. Combine that with his oafish acts of idiocy and this what 7 are proudly dishing up. When I look at our journo's, analysts and broadcasters in our game on 7 & Fox in comparison to the quality of Broadcasters like ESPN I shake my head.
Why do I get the feeling you would've been right at home in that era :p

I don't entirely disagree. BT was on a podcast I was listening to whilst driving (he wasn't the main guest, or I would certainly not have bothered listening.) He spoke about Roaming Brian and how the essence of it isn't in what the guests say or do, but what they don't say or do. He used the example of players who seem willing and enthusiastic about chatting to him vs. those who don't want a bar of it, and how their interactions, or lack thereof, paint a picture for fans and viewers watching.

In that sense, I get what channel 7 are trying to do with the segment conceptually. A kind of insightful, illuminating exposé on the nature of footballers. The problem is the key personality central to it is completely incapable of offering any kind of insightful, illumination exposition. He just acts like a frat bro-meets-Borat trying making a stab at pub banter with the players, and seems to make the players even more uncomfortable and less willing to be their authentic selves than if he just toned it down.
The concept is a great idea and could be very entertaining and enlightening, but surely it would work better if it were someone that the players are comfortable and familiar with. The likes of Jude at Swans games, maybe Lynch at Lions games, Davis at GWS, Pav with Freo etc.
Reckon that would be far more enjoyable for everyone concerned.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The legendary Henry Gunstone aka 'The Bradman of the Bush' has passed away. He moved to the city to play cricket for South Melbourne and joined the footy club as well.

He was the first foreigner in the 502-year history of Taishan (China) to be awarded an Honorary Citizen Award in recognition of services in promoting the Taishan-Ararat Sister City connection.

https://theweeklyadvertiser.com.au/articles/farewell-to-an-ararat-icon-henry-gunstone/

The legendary Henry Gunstone aka 'The Bradman of the Bush' has passed away. He moved to the city to play cricket for South Melbourne and joined the footy club as well.

He was the first foreigner in the 502-year history of Taishan (China) to be awarded an Honorary Citizen Award in recognition of services in promoting the Taishan-Ararat Sister City connection.

https://theweeklyadvertiser.com.au/articles/farewell-to-an-ararat-icon-henry-gunstone/
I thought Bradman was from the bush? How many bush-Bradmans (Bradmen) are there?

Based on their current form, how many former Swans players would make it into the team? Only certainty for me would be Dawson. Aliir for Melican maybe? Mitchell. Hewett, Cameron, Nankervis, Newman. Based on how well we are playing, none of them would be certainties for mine. Probably forgetting one or two.

Based on their current form, how many former Swans players would make it into the team? Only certainty for me would be Dawson. Aliir for Melican maybe? Mitchell. Hewett, Cameron, Nankervis, Newman. Based on how well we are playing, none of them would be certainties for mine. Probably forgetting one or two.
Yep I'd have to agree, couldn't imagine any of the last five at all and even Aliir would only be a maybe.

Dawson and Newman over Campbell , funny topic on here

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread The Former Player Thread: Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back