Mega Thread The Franklin Mint - All Buddy angst, rants, etc to go in here AND NOWHERE ELSE

Remove this Banner Ad

Found the parallels between Buddy and Brereton quite interesting.
Both number 23, multiple premiships, shit loads of goals and matches won off their own boot.
Brereton: 189 games in brown and gold before moving to Sydney
Franklin: 182 games in brown and gold before moving to Sydney
(Yes, the cirumstances of their departure were incredibly different).

I don't begrudge Buddy going to Sydney. He was offered a huge pay increase and a move to the city where his girlfriend lives. People forget the second half of that equation, but it's huge for many people. Happy wife, happy life and all that.

The thing about Hawthorn in recent times, JK a notable exception, players that leave our club just don't thrive. Buddy has a long time to prove himself and kick huge bags of goals (I do expect he'll land 70-80 of them this year) but when you consider recent departees: Clint Young, Brent Renouf, Jordan Lisle, (okay, those two were fringe), Mark Williams, Campbell Brown, Steve Gilham - nobody is setting the world on fire. Xav Ellis and Shane Savage are ones I'll watch closely, but in general terms players and their careers are much better off at Hawthorn.

I'm always fascinated to see how ex-hawks go at other clubs, but it's not great reading for those who think they're going to pick up a rough diamond.

Collingwood congrats, no longer the filth ,the most hated team to everybody else in the comp bar Collingwood supporters, Sydney now have that mantle ,cheat the salary cap to get Buddy ,underwritten by the AFL and have that self-righteous tosser so called "äustralian of the year" A.Goodes running around as if he is the next Nelson Mandela .

Collingwood congrats, no longer the filth ,the most hated team to everybody else in the comp bar Collingwood supporters, Sydney now have that mantle ,cheat the salary cap to get Buddy ,underwritten by the AFL and have that self-righteous tosser so called "äustralian of the year" A.Goodes running around as if he is the next Nelson Mandela .

Feelin' ya !!!

Don't mean to tell anyone who to hate and who not to hate but if you give any answer besides Essendon when faced with that question, then you've given the wrong answer.
I think we are all preparing for infractions*.
Where's the fun in kicking a dead dog if you know what I mean....

Poor Buddy, Looks like he is lucky to be wealthy enough to buy himself another Mercedes, I can't believe he didn't insure it. No sympathy from me,;

Friend writes off Lance Franklin’s uninsured Mercedes-Benz
  • STAFF WRITER
  • HERALD SUN
  • MARCH 17, 2014 12:59PM

Really, or is it convenient to say that a friend is at fault and not the owner?

Poor Buddy, Looks like he is lucky to be wealthy enough to buy himself another Mercedes, I can't believe he didn't insure it. No sympathy from me,;

• STAFF WRITER
  • HERALD SUN

100K or there abouts for a new car?? I don't know, maybe more??
Thank goodness he is now financially in a position to afford a new car.
He may not have been able to had he stayed at Hawthorn. :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:D
100K or there abouts for a new car?? I don't know, maybe more??
Thank goodness he is now financially in a position to afford a new car.
He may not have been able to had he stayed at Hawthorn. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately he was only offered 1.2 million a year for 4 years at our club. (Obviously he wanted a longer deal/more $$$ for the offer the club made.) He couldn't possibly afford another $100,000 for another car, could he, on the wage we offered him..:rolleyes:
He has put a mozzer on himself.(."Slapped my hand", )I must stop thinking this way..:D

Last edited:

I love this but Essendon is by far the most hated team in the league these days, quite easily too. Collingwood will always be up there as well as Carlton. Richmond's sh*tness for over 30 years has meant people have forgotten how hated and despised they were as a club in the 70's.

Sydney has definitely risen up the ranks the last 2 years and are definitely hated by most the comp now.

Also Hawthorn are hated no doubt but the difference between us and all the other teams is opposition supporters hate us for how successful we have been, everyone hates Essendon, Carlton and now Sydney for rorting the system in different ways, therefore lack any sort of respect. I'd say many people hate us but still respect our club.

• STAFF WRITER
  • HERALD SUN

I think we should give him the benefit of the doubt, it's the Herald Sun after all so quite possibly a load of rubbish and so what if he's written off his car, can happen to anyone. Makes me sick how the media pick on Buddy all the time... oh wait...

;)

:D

Unfortunately he was only offered 1.2 million a year for 4 years at our club. (Obviously he wanted a longer deal/more $$$ for the offer the club made.) He couldn't possibly afford another $100,000 for another car, could he, on the wage we offered him..:rolleyes:
He has put a mozzer on himself.(."Slapped my hand", )I must stop thinking this way..:D

By his thinking, money can't buy douchebag friendships and lifestyle, so a deal was manufactured in a way that he and his parasitic manager knew were never going to be matched. But the bottomline is that he did not even want Hawthorn to match. It's conceivable that since striking up friendships with his pea-brained mates in Sydney (birds of a feather flock together) that he had his heart set on going there and nothing was going to change his mind.

Unfortunately for the Swines, they were stargazing and got caught up in the hype of what he WAS, and not what he is now, which, from what we have seen over the past 3 - 4 years, is nowhere near what he produced in 2008.

While there will be moments where he will wind back the clock, and we may look stupid for writing him off, but I'm very confident that it will all be a false dawn.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread The Franklin Mint - All Buddy angst, rants, etc to go in here AND NOWHERE ELSE

Remove this Banner Ad

Back