Mega Thread The Guerra incident aka 'The turtle gets turned into an ashtray'

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Guerra incident

I hope the sniper Duckwood wins the Brownlow :D

and ANY other team other than Geelong wins the Premiership (yes, even Collingwood)

I hate those arrogant tur.ds

I hope the posters who've headed over to the Geelong board to fight an un-winnable battle recognise that they'll only have themselves to blame when they light up in a nice shade of red.

The character assassination in the media and from Geelong has got me riled up. Mostly because there's this air of 'He wouldn't just wack someone without them wacking him first' scenario, that's now being reported as some sort of fact.
Early this morning I heard a report of the radio where they stated Selwood was retaliating to Guerra. Seriously? Is this how far the love for particular players has gone? That we now forget that they are competitive beasts, capable of going over the top in the heat of the moment.

I read elsewhere, comments that Guerra should take it on the chin and toughen up. FFS, this is the same sort of bullshit comment I read after Thomas decided to round arm an opponent that was getting the better of him.

Fact is, these two 'favourites' couldn't keep their head, and decided to do something dangerous to their opponent, when the ball was not in the area.
Put simply, it's the sort of crap that we've been trying to get out of the game for the last 20yrs. Cheap shots.

There's only one player from Sat'd night that needs to toughen up, and that's the one who decided to lash out at at his opponent, 50metres off the ball.

Good Post

I was absolutely livid this morning reading the herald's article on Selwood's challenge. I could not believe how blatant they were in their attempt to pass this straight back to being Guerra's fault. The Cats hierarchy must of been spewing about Mooney's comment 'he has a little bit of that in him' because I am sure they will be going down the provaction and retaliation line when they front this afternoon. I am not disputing that Guerra has a hot head and does some stupid things but to make him out to be the thug in this case is just not on and I wouldn't be surprised if JK doesn't in some form make some sort of caustic comment in relation to this matter.

I have no doubt whatsoever that his suspension will be reduced - the only saving grace is that he will now have this against him when he fronts in future and mark my words there will be a future because he obviously can't handle a niggling tag - look forward to Jones or Picken playing on him in future.

I have secret information on the Selwood defence.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1689433/?page=1

You see, I googled traumatic eardrum rupture..
and found this in the British Medical Journal

Traumatic rupture of​
ear drum
SIR,-Recently I
saw an overseas student who
had
just sustained a traumatic rupture of his

ear​
drum from a cause I have not met before.
His
girl friend had inserted her tongue into
his
auditory meatus for his delight and when
she removed it he
experienced a sharp pain

which had​
persisted. Examination showed a

traumatic​
perforation of the drum with

haemorrhage.

Like mooney's comments as they were not sanitised but simply the truth. Too many times we get the run of the mill comments and run this politically correct rubish.

Selwood was probabily evening up but you never see Mitchell wacking people and he gets belted from pillar to post each game.

Behind the play must get weeks and reckless behind the play is simply intentional. Reckless in the play is reckless.

Just a word about Franklin not hetting the blatant free kicks during games.

I am, of course, very frustrated about this because it is clearly unfair, but the big thing i want to point out is that Fevola, when he was playing his best footy, would be exactly the same.
He would never recieve any free kicks which were simple to see and I think this could be part of the reason he broke down mentally, He just couldn't take it anymore. And I now feel sorry for him as I can see that he and Franklin are unfairly umpired.

As for Selwood, I hope he gets all four weeks as this would take out one of many players who cheat the system, for a few games.
Selwood, Your a cheat and a sook:footy::footy::footy:

It is rather sad that champion players can end up alienating all bar their own club supporters.

Take Judd for instance. Absolute gun player, but a recidivist gouger and sook. No respect for him as a person. Don't even want to watch him play.

Now Selwood. Another gun player, but a recidivist ducker and now sniper (and sook if he is contesting this). No respect for him as a person. Don't want to watch him play.

Live from the tribunal : from AFL's Adam McNicol:
Tuesday June 14, 2011 17:37

The medical report tabled by Hawthorn to the match review panel has been read out to the tribunal. It confirms that Guerra had dizziness and pain in his ear. "Perforation of eardrum was confirmed".

Hawthorn's medical report says Guerra is likely to play this week.

Selwood now giving evidence.

Tuesday June 14, 2011 17:41

live from tribunal selwoods evidence

SELWOOD: "Brent was taking my space away from me. I wanted to make sure I could get in position to receive the ball. Brent ... he pushed me a couple of times so I couldn't get there. He pushed me in the front of my body. We had the ball ... Matthew Scarlett has the ball 30 metres away."
PLAYER ADVOCATE PETER MURDOCH QC: "What was Brent trying to do?"
SELWOOD: "He was illegally trying to push me away so I couldn't get into the that dangerous space."

SELWOOD: "I tried to do anything I could to get past Brent. I tried to get close to him to pull him through and get to the other side."

Selwood is asked: Did you strike him intentionally?

He replies: "I've never ever struck anyone intentionally in my life."

Selwood says he didn't realise he had made contact with Guerra's head. "My intention was just to get to the other side of him to get the ball."

Tuesday June 14, 2011 17:46

live from tribunal selwoods evidence

Gleeson asks Selwood if he hit Guerra with a fist. Selwood says no, it was an open hand.

Selwood: "What I did was try to grab Brent on the shoulder and by the look of everything in the report I hit him in the ear."

Adam McNicol: from the AFL thinks it is highly unlikely that the tribunal will downgrade this charge given the lack of new evidence available.

watching the video frame by frame at the moment and Gleeson is having a testy exchange with Selwood.

Gleeson: "I suggest you're looking at Guerra at the moment you strike him."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

from Adam McNicol: AFL live at tribunal 17:55
Gleeson: "At the point at which you strike him, I suggest you're looking at him."

Selwood: "I'm looking at the dangerous space behind him."

Gleeson then says that he believes it is implausible that Guerra would have gone down like he did if Selwood had used a pulling motion to get past him.

Gleeson asks Selwood if he saw Guerra fall down.
Selwood pauses then answers that he did.

Gleeson: "You intended to strike him."
Selwood: "I don't agree."

from Adam McNicol: AFL live at tribunal 17:59

Gleeson is now wrapping up on behalf of the AFL.
He says the video is conclusive because it appears to show that Selwood is facing Guerra and that Guerra falls to the ground as soon as contact is made.

Gleeson: "For a player to suffer hearing loss from a pushing or pulling motion is inconsistent. This is an act that was not long premeditated and it was born out of frustration and a desire to get where the ball was going to be, but it was an intentional act. You don't need to be satisfied that he intended to perforate Mr Guerra's eardrum. I'm sure he didn't."

What a horrible defence from Selwood.

I didn't realise I'd hit him in the head.....even though I was facing him, and sung my arm at head height......Oh, but I can tell you what part of my hand made contact....just not where it made contact. :rolleyes:

Selwood says: I didn't even punch him''' He is then asked " who did then?" Selwood replies " Don't know, I ducked, so I guess he punched himself, I don't know why I didn't get a free kick for it..." They are still deliberating

Go Des!

GleesonDes-09152007-1030.JPG

from Adam McNicol: AFL live at tribunal 18:03

The player advocate, Peter Murdoch QC, will now wrap things up on behalf of Selwood.

18:05 Murdoch is taking a while to get going.

18:07 Murdoch: "The reason he falls is because his ear has been damaged ... not as a result of some blow that is landed by Mr Selwood." Mmmm

from Adam McNicol: AFL live at tribunal 18:03

The player advocate, Peter Murdoch QC, will now wrap things up on behalf of Selwood.

18:05 Murdoch is taking a while to get going.

18:07 Murdoch: "The reason he falls is because his ear has been damaged ... not as a result of some blow that is landed by Mr Selwood." Mmmm

Please may I use this as my signature

from Adam McNicol: AFL live at tribunal 18:08

Murdoch: "Selwood is a man of fine character whose endeavour to play the ball and play the ball hard is legendary. He's never been reported in ... AFL football. He's never been reported in any code whatsoever."

Murdoch: "Unfortunately the quality of the video is not quite what we'd hoped for in demonstrating the honesty of his responses.
The the tribunal ought to accept him at his word. It's towards the end of a tight and close match and it's clear he was doing everything he could to get past Guerra to make for open space. It makes no sense whatsoever that in the the time-on period of a tight match he would land a blow on a player that could easily lead to a goal for the opposition. The tribunal ought to accept his plea. There is nothing incongruous in his plea at all. He said he didn't strike deliberately. It's clear that what he was taking was a vigorous action for the purposes of getting around or getting beyond him. He accepts ... that Guerra did suffer an ear injury as a consequence of his effort to get around him.

Peter Murdoch QC has wrapped up the case for the defence. Now we'll leave it up to the tribunal to make up its mind. Tribunal chairman David Jones has stated that the fact Selwood has never been reported before shows he is of good character.

Selwood says: I didn't even punch him''' He is then asked " who did then?" Selwood replies " Don't know, I ducked, so I guess he punched himself, I don't know why I didn't get a free kick for it..." They are still deliberating

Is this the single dumbest thing said in a tribunal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back