The Gumby Petition

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, I'm angry.

Yes, I'm on my sixth beer (might have to pretty please the wife to go get another).

BUT, I am also aware that BF remains the biggest representation of football fans in the land, and as far as Essendon are concerned one of its biggest gatherings of fans.

The instant Crameri was ruled out we had a decision to make; and after watching tonights game we made it poorly.

I am so very sick and tired of Essendon nursing players when they might have been played. Normally it would be called cautious; but we have taken it too far the other side. We have a history of it and tonight we suffered because of it.

Now to be fair, we played so poorly tonight that I am not saying the selection of Gumby would have made up the result. What I'm saying is that, with both foresight (which most of us had) and hindsight (we sucked i50) we should have named the only near 200cm key forward we have on our list.

For christ sake we've all seen him play, marking is not a weakness!

We have ONE MORE GAME where the selection of Gumbleton can be made with relative ease.

What I ask for is a signed petition.

A 'like' is a vote for Gumby to play next week.

If you disagree, happy to discuss it with you below.

To be clear, I'm not asking for a turn on the coaches shit fight - just a representation of the will of the masses. If I don't have agreement, that makes me on my own in the assessment.

Bring on Gumby - he's fit; give him one last chance!

I am so very sick and tired of Essendon nursing players when they might have been played. Normally it would be called cautious; but we have taken it too far the other side. We have a history of it and tonight we suffered because of it.

This worked out really well for us with Hurley tonight.

Don't post drunk, jade.

If he plays a full VFL game tomorrow and they're confident he's fit enough, absolutely bring him in.

If they're not confident, he'll have to keep gaining fitness. He's played 2.5 games + 10 minutes of football this year, at VFL level.

Some perspective, please.

Don't post drunk, jade.

Pulling a fair bow there mate - had a few and drunk are two different things; considering the nature of our loss I would have thought 'angry' would have been a fairer assumption - not drunk.

If he plays a full VFL game tomorrow and they're confident he's fit enough, absolutely bring him in.

If they're not confident, he'll have to keep gaining fitness. He's played 2.5 games + 10 minutes of football this year, at VFL level.

Some perspective, please.

Prior to the game I would have said the major way to exploit the Saints would have been through tall targets.

We lost Crameri, and practically replaced him with a small - that says to me we expected to win the game.

I agree with that, but if Gumby's not fit, he's not fit.

I would've gone with Bellchambers in, Hille permanantly forward.

And I would have been happier with that than what we had.

Ideally though, a key forward would have been the go.

See, we don't actually know when Gumby returned to fitness following his head knock. What if he only plays one half tomorrow? We were right not to play him right?

Good point; Gumby MAY not have been fit due to the head hit.

Problem is, with Essendon's backward notion of reporting injury (as if it's going to give a tactical advantage), we just don't know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, I'm angry.

Yes, I'm on my sixth beer (might have to pretty please the wife to go get another).

BUT, I am also aware that BF remains the biggest representation of football fans in the land, and as far as Essendon are concerned one of its biggest gatherings of fans.

The instant Crameri was ruled out we had a decision to make; and after watching tonights game we made it poorly.

Now to be fair, we played so poorly tonight that I am not saying the selection of Gumby would have made up the result. What I'm saying is that, with both foresight (which most of us had) and hindsight (we sucked i50) we should have named the only near 200cm key forward we have on our list.

For christ sake we've all seen him play, marking is not a weakness!

We have ONE MORE GAME where the selection of Gumbleton can be made with relative ease.

What I ask for is a signed petition.

A 'like' is a vote for Gumby to play next week.

If you disagree, happy to discuss it with you below.

To be clear, I'm not asking for a turn on the coaches shit fight - just a representation of the will of the masses. If I don't have agreement, that makes me on my own in the assessment.

Bring on Gumby - he's fit; give him one last chance!

I am also on my sixth beer, and I agree. Lacked a key forward able to take a contested mark, especially after Hurley went off. Bring on the Gumbletron.
Obviously, if the fitness staff don't think he is ready, then we have to trust their judgment. But, in the aftermath of the uncertainty of what actually happened tonight, bring on the Gumbletron!

274538-scott-gumbleton.jpg

I think the more worrying selection was Lonergan into the midfield at the expense of Myers. Would much rather Pears in and Myers into the midfield.

But Pears is injured too, isn't he? Or hasn't played footy for quite a while, at any rate. Not since GWS, IIRC.

If he gets through the game tomorrow he's pretty much in, I'd say. But if Gumbleton in tonight was somehow going to stop Watson being scragged to the bejesus and no one being able to fill the void, then shit, we should have been playing him even when his spine was made out of papier-mache.

Not a smart-arse post. seriously...

I have not seen a lot of Gumby but a lot of posters here over the years have talked about him like he will be a superstar. Can someone here who has seen a fair bit of him just run through some of his strengths? At 200cm is he a permanent forward at VFL level and when he is 100% fit, what would his role be in our 22?

I thought he was just dropped? Who'd know though..

Jade, you're building Gumby up so much that you will inevitably be disappointed.

Mate - make no mistake I am aware exactly where Gumby is.

Barring exceptional performance, he'll be out the door this year.

But considering my membership, sponsorship, Flight Plan donation, contribution to Gumby meme, and general unyielding support for the man - I am entitled to barrack for him until the end?

Considering my ongoing support for him, when the day came to say not selecting him was a mistake - surely you expected no other to be at the vanguard?

Not a smart-arse post. seriously...

I have not seen a lot of Gumby but a lot of posters here over the years have talked about him like he will be a superstar. Can someone here who has seen a fair bit of him just run through some of his strengths? At 200cm is he a permanent forward at VFL level and when he is 100% fit, what would his role be in our 22?

All he needs to do is present up the wing when we need him to, and make a contest in the 50. Anything on top of that is a bonus.

With Hurley's injury, Gumby is almost an automatic in - assuming he gets through tomorrow's game.

Judging by Hird's comments he almost played tonight, so next week is almost guarenteed.

Bloody VFL and their crazy draw!

Remove this Banner Ad

The Gumby Petition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back