FTA-TV The Hollowmen

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought it was interesting that Nick had studied Australian history but in an earlier episode was portrayed of having no clue as to how the Westminster system worked. I haven't studied Australian history since year 10, but I would have thought that Australia's parliamentary system post-Federation would have been covered in an Australian history course or subject.

Not a bad episode last night. Hopefully Working Dog can be convinced to make a new series or two, but their usual modus operandi is to make two or three series of something then move on to the next venture.

I studied Australian history at high school and cannot remember being taught about the westminster system during those classes.

I learnt about it during Politics classes.

i found the nick character to be very annoying across the 12 episodes.

yes, i understand his role in the show - he's there for things to be explained to so those things are explained to the audience... but his character is inconsistent, forced, and unrealistic.

and i agree that last nights episode was the weekest of the 12.

disappointed that i chased downloads of all episodes - i should've known it'd be released on dvd...

yes, i understand his role in the show - he's there for things to be explained to so those things are explained to the audience... but his character is inconsistent, forced, and unrealistic.

Disagree. A bit naive for someone in the PM's office, sure, but also the only lead character who hadn't yet fallen into the alternate reality of life in politics.

Quite realistic for a younger person in the public service or working for a politician!

This from 30/7/2010 but heard nothing since?

LACHY Hulme, star of Ten's new romantic dramedy Offspring, is heading back to his role in The Hollowmen.

Hulme will return as long-suffering parliamentary staffer David "Murph" Murphy to Rob Sitch's political media adviser in a third season of the ABC's hit comedy.

The 39-year-old confirmed his return on Wednesday night while helping launch Offspring at a Melbourne soiree alongside stars Asher Keddie, Don Hany, Kat Stewart and Eddie Perfect.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...an/story-e6frfmqr-1225898670850#ixzz1t0nlRcgS

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look at the date on the article.

There was supposed to be a series 3 in 2009, then 2010. Offspring has been a big hit for Hulme and most of the Hollowmen crew were involved in making Any Questions For Ben? last year so it seems like they've moved onto other projects.

They might come back to it when they all have a lull in their collective schedules but I wouldn't hold your breath. It's been almost 4 years.

Watching this through again on Stan. Forgot how funny it was, love Phillip and Warren

Hopped back on to this with the new series of Utopia kicking off. My recollection was that they were pretty similar, but there's plenty of clear differences and I think they sit nicely alongside each other. I've never really seen much of Yes, Minister, so while I figured there'd probably be many similarities, it hasn't affected my viewing at least.

While I love some of the general 'working in any office' stuff that Utopia gets plenty of laughs out of and it's closer to the area where I've worked in the public service, I think it's good (and very noticeable, compared to Utopia) that in Hollowmen, I don't think any of the main characters are outright idiots, or completely deluded.

Because almost every character in Utopia is a clown in one way or another (swapping Luke McGregor's character with a dumber character played by Dilruk Jayasinha hasn't helped that), it's spawned an unwelcome set of superfans 'the people who think they're the Nat of their office and everyone else is stupid'. But in Hollowmen, everyone is pretty smart: they're just naive, or egotistical, or they're having the wool pulled over their eyes.

Going back over this thread, I had to cast my mind back to the first episode of Hollowmen, as I couldn’t really make the Mike Moore connection with Rob Sitch's Tony character: I suppose there was a bit there in the first episode with the war on childhood obesity, but over the course of the series... not really. I don't think anyone would say Santo and Rob's characters in Utopia were basically rehashes of their characters in Frontline if anyone else were playing them.

Hopped back on to this with the new series of Utopia kicking off. My recollection was that they were pretty similar, but there's plenty of clear differences and I think they sit nicely alongside each other. I've never really seen much of Yes, Minister, so while I figured there'd probably be many similarities, it hasn't affected my viewing at least.

While I love some of the general 'working in any office' stuff that Utopia gets plenty of laughs out of and it's closer to the area where I've worked in the public service, I think it's good (and very noticeable, compared to Utopia) that in Hollowmen, I don't think any of the main characters are outright idiots, or completely deluded.

Because almost every character in Utopia is a clown in one way or another (swapping Luke McGregor's character with a dumber character played by Dilruk Jayasinha hasn't helped that), it's spawned an unwelcome set of superfans 'the people who think they're the Nat of their office and everyone else is stupid'. But in Hollowmen, everyone is pretty smart: they're just naive, or egotistical, or they're having the wool pulled over their eyes.

Going back over this thread, I had to cast my mind back to the first episode of Hollowmen, as I couldn’t really make the Mike Moore connection with Rob Sitch's Tony character: I suppose there was a bit there in the first episode with the war on childhood obesity, but over the course of the series... not really. I don't think anyone would say Santo and Rob's characters in Utopia were basically rehashes of their characters in Frontline if anyone else were playing them.
Where did you watch it? I prefer it to Utopia but can't find it now on the streaming services.

Remove this Banner Ad

FTA-TV The Hollowmen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back