Injury The Injury/Suspension List – 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

That's 1-2 in Melbourne speak.

Get the old Richmond medicos to check him out before he returns to the field.

Pack it in for the year. Get everyone off for surgeries, get all the sore blokes sorted, have a mini-preseason for those that need it. It's 2019 again. Let's just prepare for next year.

Time to get some assistant coaches on the phone too.

Yeah, genuinely no point bringing Trac back this year after that long off. He would never reach close to full capability even if we made finals.

Just get him right for next year and let's see what Sestan, Tholstrup and some others can do.

DL poster, grain of salt etc:

View attachment 2016778
A friend of mine had exact same injuries not caused by football but he is a footballer.
Excruciating injuries except he had to wait 5 days for surgery. Once he had surgery his pain reduced very quickly.
Was running in 4 weeks gradual build up. No contact training for 12 weeks, however that was the high end of recommended time.

I doubt he plays again this season.

A counter to the above would round 2 in 2023 when Mason Cox ruptured his spleen(which wasn't picked up until the next day when he had a gut full of internal bleeding). Had surgery, returned in rd 8.
Excuse the interruption, but that screenshot from "speed demon" is reasonably accurate. However, I haven't read that he had major surgery (which is what he is alluding to), and the media aren't the best at reporting accurately. Maybe the surgical procedure he had was the radiological angioembolisation?

One of the scariest moments of my career was about 20 years ago when I was asked to assess a patient in the emergency department for possible appendicitis, and walked past a cubicle with an athlete who had blunt trauma to the abdomen, who was as white as a sheet from blood loss. Turned out he had ruptured his spleen, and it was very touch and go, but the senior surgeon on that day had trained in the era before seat belts were mandatory, and had done dozens of these emergency operations from car accidents and saved his life. Somewhat amazingly, as the damaged organ had been completely removed, he was able to return to activity quicker than if he had a more minor operation, which would have needed a 12+ week period of non contact to allow the spleen to heal.

Yep, in no other workforce would this be acceptable.
I'm not a fan of comparing footy clubs to other industries but there is clearly a culture across the AFL of clubs asking players to push through injuries when they shouldn't.

I think the AFL are incentivised not to admit fault either as they have a massive concussion lawsuit hanging over their heads.

I suspect they'll continue with this line but then make some rule changes to try and stop clubs from doing this shit in future.

Not giving the club an out here either, they're just part of a bigger problem.

I'm not a fan of comparing footy clubs to other industries but there is clearly a culture across the AFL of clubs asking players to push through injuries when they shouldn't.

I think the AFL are incentivised not to admit fault either as they have a massive concussion lawsuit hanging over their heads.

I suspect they'll continue with this line but then make some rule changes to try and stop clubs from doing this shit in future.

Not giving the club an out here either, they're just part of a bigger problem.
I think that the AFL needs a broom through them also. The whole industry is a mess. I mean your boss wouldn't compel you to work with a broken rib. I am pretty sure that I would be told to stay home with a lacerated spleen for a number of weeks.

The AFL are a disgrace for allowing it to happen. How much room is left under that rug?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sack everyone and fold the club. What a shit show.

This year alone we've played May with broken ribs, Oliver with a broken hand, Lever with a stuffed knee and Petracca with broken ribs, spleen and lung. That's 4 of our most important players, two on long term deals. Use some common sense ffs. Can't trust the people making decisions at all.
To me its an admission that Goody is all out of answers and knows he cant win games without his stars carrying us to wins. He crapped on about how Collingwood have a great system in his post game presser yesterday so their injuries are irrelevant, perhaps he needs to be even more vulnerable this week and dig into the why's of why he cant do the same.

To me its an admission that Goody is all out of answers and knows he cant win games without his stars carrying us to wins. He crapped on about how Collingwood have a great system in his post game presser yesterday so their injuries are irrelevant, perhaps he needs to be even more vulnerable this week and dig into the why's of why he cant do the same.
Playing with a busted spleen wasn't one of Tholstrup's attributes when drafted so wouldn't fit in the system

Haha 😂 clear as day Trac was cooked as soon as he was hurt. He looked like Derm in the 89 GF and half those blokes nearly died after that game

I'm guessing no one slammed into his ribs as a test before sending him back out because he jogged a little, said it hurt and then ran around avoiding contact for 10 mins

What a hilarious club. About the 10th time we've let blokes limp around like ready to be put down dogs.

Last edited:
With respect, if I were a Melbourne supporter I'd be beyond filthy with Collingwood right now. And also with the Melbourne players tbh.

The Collingwood players have treated you guys with zero respect. May's comments last off-season were beyond stupid. Then look at the smilie happy go lucky hand slapping shite they dish up. Buddying up after getting torched.

Maynard ended Brayshaw's career and then the Collingwood captain - that media darling who can't put a foot wrong - sends his knee accidentally on purpose into the guts of your spiritual leader, ruling him out for the year.

Ropeable is an understatement to be honest.

Those pr1cks need to be held to account and you fecking blokes need to respond!!!

I'm not sure what's happening with Goodwin but does he have a spine or a bloody clue? What about the players? Drop Oliver immediately for one, start making some statements!

I have nothing against the Demons.

Last edited:
With respect, if I were a Melbourne supporter I'd be beyond filthy with Collingwood right now. And also with the Melbourne players tbh.

The Collingwood players have treated you guys with zero respect. May's comments last off-season were beyond stupid. Then look at the smilie happy go lucky hand slapping shite they dish up. Buddying up after getting torched.

Maynard ended Brayshaw's career and then the Collingwood captain - that media darling who can't put a foot wrong - sends his knee accidentally on purpose into the guts of your spiritual leader, ruling him out for the year.

I mean Christ Almighty it was a normal footy contest I could give less of a shit about that.

I mean Christ Almighty it was a normal footy contest I could give less of a shit about that.
I've watched it a few times and I'm pretty sure Darcy knew exactly what he was doing. His knee made far more impact than his fist in the contest, which he was 3rd man up to.

Ropeable is an understatement to be honest.

Those pr1cks need to be held to account and you fecking blokes need to respond!!!

I'm not sure what's happening with Goodwin but does he have a spine or a bloody clue? What about the players? Drop Oliver immediately for one , start making some statements!

With respect, because I have nothing against the Demons.
You don't hear 'fecking' being used a lot these days. Great word. Due for a comeback. My mum was very fond of it when I was a kid...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back