NFL The Jay Cutler Soap Opera

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Cutler Wants to be Traded

No way would the pats go for him. Would have dealt Cassel for him if that was the case. Just wouldnt happen.
Teams that will be the favourites will be Bucs, Vikings, Jets, Raiders?.
I can see Cutler in Bucs or Vikings uniform come training camp

I honestly can't believe it has come to this, the combination of having an inexperienced coach and GM, Cutler's immaturity and the fact he has a greedy me-first agent basically meant that this was never going to be resolved without McDaniels becoming Cutler's bitch. Apart from the initial Cassel stuff up, I think McDaniels and Xanders actually have handled this very well.

When Bowlen said he was on McDaniels side on Sunday that was pretty much the end for Jay if he didn't show up today, which is doesn't look like he is going to. As a relatively long time Broncos fan, it sucks but we're definitely making the right decision if we cut our losses now (no pun intended) and move on.

I hope we ask for a 2010 1st rounder and a few picks in this years draft, as next year's QB class looks a lot stronger and it will give us an opportunity to pick the best QB in next years class or the one that best fits McDaniels' system. Franchise QB's are hard to come by so hopefully there is a bidding war for his services.

Personally, I we ended up with a 2010 1st rounder (projected to be in the top 15) and an upgrade of our 1st this year so we can get B.J Raji I would be happy enough considering the cirumstances.

This also means I have to go out and buy another Broncos jersey. The last two I have bought (Cutler and Al Wilson) have only lasted a season so hopefully I don't jinx Eddie Royal.

This is getting as annoying as the anual Favre "retire/not retire" soap operas.
The latest...

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels emphatically denies Jay Cutler's comments that the coach "made it clear" he could still entertain trading Cutler and that he wants his own guy at quarterback.
"Oh boy," McDaniels said. "No, no, no. Nothing like that was conveyed." The coach's and the player's versions of their Saturday meeting continue to be bizarrely at odds. Asked if he thinks he'll be forced to trade Cutler, McDaniels responded: "No. He's got three years left on his contract. We're not at the point where we're going to do it now ... [But] it's probably something we're going to have to talk about."

and...some smoke-fire...

The Lions are expected to "continue to talk to the Broncos" about potentially acquiring Jay Cutler in a trade.
The Broncos may be softening their stance a bit, but the Lions have no quarterback solution to offer in return. Denver has stated that they're not interested in trading Cutler for draft picks, which would seem to make the Lions a poor fit.

If they're not interested in draft picks then that means they're interested in a replacement QB as part of a trade. Ie, Cutler is right about mcdaniels.

I really want to see your face about this GG.

Watching a divisional rival destroy itself from the inside.

Must be the feeling Zarko and STO had when Dallas were destroying themselves.

Im just smirking all the time, for a couple reasons.
1. Broncos falling apart
2. McDaniels getting pwned as an idiot...like i predicted would happen when he got hired.

But i do feel for Cutler. And hope he goes to Detroit (+Scheffler/Marshall) in some bonanza trade that sees the Lions do a "Miami".

Im just smirking all the time, for a couple reasons.
1. Broncos falling apart
2. McDaniels getting pwned as an idiot...like i predicted would happen when he got hired.

But i do feel for Cutler. And hope he goes to Detroit (+Scheffler/Marshall) in some bonanza trade that sees the Lions do a "Miami".
nah. Cutler/Royal for pick 20 , 3rd rd draft pick and 1st rd pick in 2010. And Culpepper.

And I said Royal. Because after seeing Jem's luck with Harris and Cutler. And now wanting Royal. Royal gone.

Actually, it shouldnt be difficult at all satisfying Denver because surely a three-way trade could happen.

Ie, Detroit sends it's #20 and 1st round 2010, say, to a third team, and the third team sends their QB to Denver. Something like that.

Not sure who necessarily, but it depends what McDaniels would want....a raw prospect or a vet. So you could have McNabb to Denver and Detroit's picks to Philly. Eagles then starting Kolb who was drafted to replace McNabb. Or a prospect maybe like Jets, who could send Clemens or Ainge or Ratliff to Denver. Or maybe O'Connell from Pats to Denver (who McDaniels worked with) and Pats getting the picks.

If you can think of other teams that might have extra QBs to spare that might interest Denver, mention them.

Actually, it shouldnt be difficult at all satisfying Denver because surely a three-way trade could happen.

Ie, Detroit sends it's #20 and 1st round 2010, say, to a third team, and the third team sends their QB to Denver. Something like that.

Not sure who necessarily, but it depends what McDaniels would want....a raw prospect or a vet. So you could have McNabb to Denver and Detroit's picks to Philly. Eagles then starting Kolb who was drafted to replace McNabb. Or a prospect maybe like Jets, who could send Clemens or Ainge or Ratliff to Denver. Or maybe O'Connell from Pats to Denver (who McDaniels worked with) and Pats getting the picks.

If you can think of other teams that might have extra QBs to spare that might interest Denver, mention them.
Do the Pats really need all these picks? If they get the 20th pick thats 5 picks on day 1.

ow. Alex Smith, Shaun Hill.
JaMarcus Russell.
Vince Young
Matt Leinart. (cut team salary. Just what this owner likes)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Other prospects to name...Brian Brohm, Andre Woodson, Colt Brennan, Kevin Kolb, Matt Moore, Tyler Thigpen.

There's one for you....Tyler Thigpen to the Broncos, Cutler to the Lions, picks to the Chiefs.

Other vets to name....Tony Romo, Marc Bulger.

There's one maybe...Bulger to Broncos, Rams draft Stafford and earn a #20 as well.

Like I said, great package opportunity for Detroit especially. They need a QB and a TE.
If Belichick is a genius, Bus Cook aint too far behind either....

In addition to Jay Cutler, Broncos TE Tony Scheffler is also expected to be a no-show at Monday's team meeting.
Scheffler's agent? One Bus Cook, the man running the Jay Cutler discussions with the Broncos. The team has reportedly been shopping Scheffler, and now Cook appears to be using both players as leverage against the Broncos.

Lol, you're really enjoying yourself now GG. Broncos lose Cutler and gain only Thigpen!?!
We're going to find out whether McDaniels can coach a lot sooner than I expected.
I was on Cutler's side at the start of this fiasco but I've slowly shifted to McDaniels' side as this thing has progressed. Cutler says that he wants to work things out but does not appear to want to based the outcomes of these meetings; after both meetings McDaniels has come out saying they have gone well and Cutler has said things have got worse. Also I'm sure McD and co. would have asked the question "What do we need to do to fix this?" If Jay really wanted to work things out his expectations would be realistic and they would be well on their way to sorting things out. This leads me to believe that this is the work of Cutler's agent and that he is the catalyst for this entire drama, as I previously implied and several other posters have stated.

I still don't want to lose Cutler so as a last resort (if it hasn't already been attempted) we should discuss a new contract. Money Talks, and I think it is likely that this is what Bus Cook was after. However, new GM Brian Xanders previously said that he did not want a large percentage of the cap going towards one player's salary. Surely a franchise QB would be the exception that proves the rule, but then again Xanders is partly responsible for this mess in the first place.

I'm not fully convinced of the credibility of the report that the Broncos are looking for players (assumed to be another QB) rather than picks for Cutler. There are so many reports on the matter at the moment and a lot of them are contradictory.

If we trade Cutler, I have already posted my preferences a few times before.

Some more early morning news...

Jay Cutler did not report to the Broncos' facility for offseason training Monday, as expected.
Coach Josh McDaniels is now softening to the idea of trading Cutler but wants to speak to him first, presumably with agent Bus Cook not involved. "I would like to talk to Jay before we...discuss some other type of alternative," McDaniels said. Cutler has said he'll be at any mandatory offseason functions, which seems to leave the door open for a resolution.

The Jets have reportedly begun monitoring Jay Cutler's situation in Denver.
New York has claimed confidence in Brett Ratliff and Kellen Clemens since Rex Ryan's hiring, but would "never say never" to a player of Cutler's caliber. The Jets probably would need a three-team trade with a club like the Lions or Eagles to get Cutler. Gang Green doesn't have enough ammo as it stands.

I'm still not 100% convinced Cutler is going to leave. One of the main problems I see is Cutler's insistence on having Bus in on every single meeting they have. I think what McD is looking for is a good solid one-on-one where things can be attempted to be ironed out.

Anyhow I've come up with a possible trade scenario. Something similar may have been already suggested....

Cutler to Browns for Quinn and 2009 2nd, and 2010 2nd

Browns can then offload Anderson to the Lions for a 3rd/4th, and pick up another QB in the late rounds of the draft....

Seems OK to me.

If Denver's so uninterested in picks, then it would seem the only way trade's are gonna occur are three-way. Rumor has it Denver rejected Tampa's 1st and 3rd rounders for Cutler. And have so far refused Detroit's picks for Cutler. Imo, they are being stupid here Denver. They seem to be wanting a massive deal that teams are just not gonna give them, and then they'll be stuck with a player who refuses to play for them, a lot of internal turmoil prolonging thru the season will occur. Nothing wrong with a 1st for Cutler geez. Especially if a three-way allows them to acquire another QB like Quinn or Anderson etc.

Also, it seems McDaniels is being a cry-baby too because he's stomping his foot wanting Cassel only. Like that's the only QB he can work with. If he's a true coach then he would be able to work with anyone and bring them up like he did with Cassel.

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL The Jay Cutler Soap Opera

Remove this Banner Ad

Back