The Jill Meagher case: please read notice in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t agree with the notion that the death penalty is a deterrent. Do we honestly believe that these offenders would think “I may be killed for this, so I’m not gonna do it” like a sane person would? Any more than they must think “I may be locked in a cage for the rest of my life for this, I’m not gonna do it”?

I think if they’re not sane enough to think through the latter as any normal person would, it’s fair to assume they’re certainly not sane enough to think through the former, which basically defeats the “deterrent” angle re the death penalty.

I don’t think these offenders are in a state of mind where they can think this through and come to the rational conclusion, no matter what the potential consequence (be it life imprisonment or death). Or if they actually can, the threat of punishment is redundant anyway: as they actually truly believe that they’ll never be caught.

The death penalty may not deter them, but it would certainly stop them from doing it again.

You should honestly start getting regular therapy. Sounds like you missed the section of development when you learn to empathize and in turn not end up being a awl centered non contributing douche bag. For your own futures fulfillment and pretty much every poor bastard who has to interact with you over the next 50 years - go see
Someone.

I don't really think so. Its hard to get massively worked out about something that doesn't affect you or people you know.

I personally, whilst feeling sympathy for the family and friends of Jill Meagher as well as disgust towards the alleged killer, am rather indifferent to this case.

The death penalty may not deter them, but it would certainly stop them from doing it again.

So does life imprisonment- which also has the prospect of a wrongly jailed person being released in the future. John Mallard for instance.

I still wouldn't be surprised if more people than Blue Hoody was involved, the fact his neighbour heard a couple of cars rock up to his place around 2am would suggest that might be the case.

I guess it depends a lot on what Blue Hoody tells the cops and whether he is prepared to dob other people in if they were involved.

Doesn't change the tragic outcome whether one person or multiple people were involved but it does change how the crime was committed which is still important.

It seems that people have taken to the phone books & are harrassing an innocent:

15gxtly.png
Some people are so stupid it's not even funny.

Tree hugger? I hate the environmental movement. Just asking why one life seems to be worth more than 100, if not for media influence. I know people don't like having it displayed to them that they're being played by our media in order to profit via exploitation of atrocity, but its clearly evident.
Most of the people getting killed in the likes of Afghanistan and Iraq and Syria would kill you as soon as look at you, this girl was doing nothing other than going about her business. Also, I know the area pretty well.

I really don't want to come off as being disrespectful or tasteless, but one thing I was tihnking today:

Isn't it strange how we had over 100 Hazara sylum seekers, lied to by smugglers and escaping from ethnic cleansing in Pakistan and Afghanistan, who would have been Australian PR/citizens very shortly, drown at sea in horrible circumstances (including children) and the level of public concern/emotion seems LESS than that for a foreign national working in one of our cities? IMO its down to the way the media portray the two instances.

I know they're different circumstances, I just think if the Australian people were exposed to the reality of the people who drowned, got to read about who they are as people etc. rather than as a "problem to be solved" we'd see similar levels of concern to that of Mrs Meagher.
Not even similar so don't know how you could even try and compare them.
One situation is people paying money to get on a small boat to travel across the ocean to another country. They are aware of the risks in doing so but are willing to take them because it is a better choice of 2 evils.
The other is a woman in a civilized country who simply expects to be able to walk home after drinks without being r*ped and murdered.
Seriously you have to wonder sometimes...

So does life imprisonment- which also has the prospect of a wrongly jailed person being released in the future. John Mallard for instance.

Don't know if imprisonment was much of a deterrent for this bloke. It appears he'd been in and out of there plenty of times throughout his life and had not been rehabilitated to the extent where he would no longer want to rape and murder innocent people.

RIP Jill. I don't even want to imagine what she went through that night :(. Feel sad for her,her husband and family. This dog should be locked up for the rest of his life. I just hope she didn't suffer to much or was in alot of pain. Not the way someone should leave this world. Everyone is thinking of you <3

Ok. I'm back from the Grand Final Parade, so I'm going to read back through the last few pages. If there's trolling crap or off-topic diversions, I'm not going to like it.

Don't know if imprisonment was much of a deterrent for this bloke. It appears he'd been in and out of there plenty of times throughout his life and had not been rehabilitated to the extent where he no longer went and to kill and murder innocent people.

Then keep him in gaol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

^ I said this before, and I'll say it again, Its a media exercise to see how something like this that happens every day (someone went missing) becomes the head story and also an example of "Missing White Woman Syndrome"...

It is sad for those affected directly, and for those looking to 'feel something in the moment', but its most likely to be forgotten, by the majority by the end of the month
I'd say in general it's probably just related to a fairly primitive response over the loss of an attractive young woman.

Think about your circle of people you know. Who would your circle of friends mourn going missing more - the attractive, friendly female or the silent, plain looking bloke? Sad to say it would be the former.

You have posted that you do not care about and will make jokes about a woman who has been r*ped and murdered.

How exactly do you think people are going to react?

Pretty much the way they did. Was expecting a threat or two maybe though haha.

See the last thing I wrote in that post.
Obvious is obvious bro.

Andrew* Mallard

Got stiched up by the coppers for a murder and sentence to life.
12 years later he was found not guilty on a retrial and released.
But there is a difference when the case is irrefutable - such as when the murderer takes police to where he dumped the body and is captured on CCTV.

Threads like these make me question whether I could be a psychopath.

There are heaps of people outraged at the whole situation on my facebook feed too.

I don't really feel any sympathy for the victim at all. It's a horrible thing to happen obviously and the guy deserves a long time in jail but I don't really care about it. Probably desensitized from watching movies/documentries about this sort of thing. I generally don't care about people dying unless it's someone I know personally.

I'll probably be making a joke meme on facebook about it later. Something along the lines of "left the kitchen, Got killed" or some stupid shit like that causing a heap of people to get pissed off.

To be honest, I'd often react like that as well, I'm probably as desensitized as they come. You understand the tragic nature of it, but its just another bad thing happening somewhere else. This one for me was different than say watching 9/11 or the Dark Knight shooting. There are people dying all over the world every minute, If we gave each one the acknowledgement and grief they deserve we'd live a pretty depressing existence. Some people laugh it off, while others will say you're heartless for doing so, but by doing so makes it less real.

This occasions literally hits so close to home, normally you hear about these things a long time after, void of that feeling of hope we all held onto until last night.

But there is a difference when the case is irrefutable - such as when the murderer takes police to where he dumped the body and is captured on CCTV.

In this case then yes.
Though I wouldn't bring back the death penalty for one bloke.
Life imprisonment is fine. It was sufficient for Ivan Milat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back