The Jill Meagher case: please read notice in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there is to be a crime board, could there possibly have a bit stricter of style of moderating? Like if people are taking the piss that might pass elsewhere.

Particularly if it's violent crime, people just get their back up quickly and it ruins things.

Think this thread shows it can be good if you just have people who are interested in discussion.

Yeah i thinkso. I think the discussion in this thread, which was almost entirely about the case itself was brilliant up until some people went PC on it as well as the judicial side of it became involved.

Probably desensitized from watching movies/documentries about this sort of thing.

I know i shouldn't quote someone who has contributed in a trolling nature to this thread. But there is a HUGE difference between seeing a body in a movie and in real person, it's really laughable to suggest otherwise.

On the social media thing, it is a double edged sword. Social media was used very deliberately, and quite understandably, to help try and find Jill and may have played a role in identifying the accused.

But having let the beast out of the box, it is very difficult now to rein it back in.

Informed by thirty years of pissing in Homicide Squad cops' pockets. Almost none of those words are his.

There's a worry. Cops are better writers than journalists. Just like Caroline Wilson, Silvester inherited his dad's contact book. He is an execrably inept writer, as evidenced by his involvement in the 'Underbelly' books and TV series. Not to mention the made up shit he writes for the Saturday 'Age'.

Yep, though at least he avoids the pulp dramatism of his mate Rule. I mean, I know it is the Hun but this:

This time, Black Friday didn't fall on the 13th
Storm clouds loomed and lightning split a malevolent sky as Victorians woke yesterday to the bleak news that shocked all and surprised none.
While most of us slept, tired detectives had recovered poor Jill Meagher's body from a shallow grave beside a gravel road in farm country beyond the suburbs.

You have no idea of how police reporting works. Certain detectives give selected journalists privileged access to information, in return for favours and good press for themselves. It has been happening in Victoria since the 1920s, at least. It was the reason Tom Blamey threw the press out of Russell Street in the early thirties. It is bent practice and leaves supposedly 'independent' journalists in thrall of the urgers and manipulators within the police force. It is also very dodgy ethically for a journalist to allow himself to be bought, well, to be bought so cheaply. You can never trust anything he writes again. He can be bought.

Worth noting - you may be inetersted in this as well grizzlym - that at least one police rounds reporter I know of at The Age was taken off the beat when it was discovered she was having an affair with a senior married cop.

You have no idea of how police reporting works. Certain detectives give selected journalists privileged access to information, in return for favours and good press for themselves. It has been happening in Victoria since the 1920s, at least. It was the reason Tom Blamey threw the press out of Russell Street in the early thirties. It is bent practice and leaves supposedly 'independent' journalists in thrall of the urgers and manipulators within the police force. It is also very dodgy ethically for a journalist to allow himself to be bought, well, to be bought so cheaply. You can never trust anything he writes again. He can be bought.

There are 111 people employed by the police media liaison unit.

They are a seriously savvy and influential PR organisation.

This raises many other questions.

It's a shame Adrian Lowe has moved on from court reporting at The Age. He was the best of a pretty mediocre bunch.

I'm not so sure. She was a 200-300m from her home, so she wouldn't have needed a lift. She was trying to lose him on the CCTV footage and he was trying to urge her along with his hand gestures, which suggests to me she had no interest in whatever he was after. I strongly believe that if she got into a car, it was forcefully. The only way it might have been possible that she got into the car willingly would be down to the fact there are no reports of any screams, but even then i think he knocked her out or had an accomplice to get her into a car swiftly.

Piecing the various articles together, I'm of the strong opinion that she was trying to get to the Police Station - it's about a hundred meters down the road.

Apparently the defining CCTV footage was from a pizza shop where they didn't expect it; there is one just before the Station. The footage apparently showed something that proved he was the guy.

I reckon she's headed there to try and lose him - and when he's twigged to it, he's panicked and grabbed her.

Check google maps - the Police Station is marked.

Thoughts?

Piecing the various articles together, I'm of the strong opinion that she was trying to get to the Police Station - it's about a hundred meters down the road.

Apparently the defining CCTV footage was from a pizza shop where they didn't expect it; there is one just before the Station. The footage apparently showed something that proved he was the guy.

I reckon she's headed there to try and lose him - and when he's twigged to it, he's panicked and grabbed her.

Thoughts?

Makes sense. As I said earlier, I'm guessing she rang her brother to try and get the guy to go away while she tried to get to the police station.

I suppose if I were in her situation, I would just start yelling for help. Even if it was a false alarm, it's better to be safe than have something like this happen.

Which actually makes me wonder how there was no screaming heard? If he took her into a side alley, surely people would have been able to hear her scream? Unless he has knocked her out before sexually assaulting her.

Thoughts?

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/news/vict...s-body-was-found/story-e6frf7kx-1226483793882

"The other camera was shooting along Sydney Rd from a pizza shop farther south along the strip."

This article suggests that the pizza shop was south of the Boutique. There is one on the corner of Sydney Rd and Victoria St.

Changes things a bit if true. Doesn't really line up with the mention by the the pizza shop owner that they didn't expect her to be near there though?

The interesting thing is that she actually took the long way home from Bar Ettiquette.

If I waa going home from there to where she lived, I would have turned left at Victoria Street (better lit and busier) and then right into Lux thingo from there.

She's actually walked past her house on Sydney Road to get to the bridal shop and would turn left into home and left again into Lux.

But maybe that is just the way she always went. Maybe her and her husband would stop and get a kebab on the way home from the pub every other time and she's just walked that way out of drunken habit.

But yeah, the trying to get to the jack shop thing makes sense.

Not sure why the reason for the angst directed at Silvester.

His job is to inform the public and his article this morning pretty much did that - informing The Age's readers of facts that they were otherwise unaware of.

How he got the information is irrelevant so long as it was legally obtained and it is factually correct.

Or are people suggesting that journalists should no longer have sources inside departments?:confused:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/news/vict...s-body-was-found/story-e6frf7kx-1226483793882

"The other camera was shooting along Sydney Rd from a pizza shop farther south along the strip."

This article suggests that the pizza shop was south of the Boutique. There is one on the corner of Sydney Rd and Victoria St.

Changes things a bit if true. Doesn't really line up with the mention by the the pizza shop owner that they didn't expect her to be near there though?

I think the "shooting along" is vital.

From the bridal shop one, we only see what happened in a very small stretch (about 4 metres) of Sydney Road because it is shooting ACROSS the street.

Footage from the axis as it were would have showed a great deal more as she walked up the street - like him following her etc.

Thoughts?

This is the thing that has struck me about this tragedy, I've been to that area and know roughly what's around it, how does one man grab a woman off the street without anybody noticing? Even at 2am. It troubles me no end.

Looking at the Google map, it's hard to tell if there are hidden laneways in between some of the premises along Sydney Road. Is this what they're proposing that he's done?

579 and 615 have pizza shops as well; which matches up a bit better with that?

Which side of Hope St are those?

I doubt very much they crossed Hope St then somehow doubled back for something to later occur in the lane / courtyard off Hope St where the handbag was found (twice apparantly)

This is the thing that has struck me about this tragedy, I've been to that area and know roughly what's around it, how does one man grab a woman off the street without anybody noticing? Even at 2am. It troubles me no end.

Looking at the Google map, it's hard to tell if there are hidden laneways in between some of the premises along Sydney Road. Is this what they're proposing that he's done?

There's defintely one after Hope right next to the Courthouse Hotel, though that is literally over the road from the jack shop. I know because I use it all the time when I visit my olds.

Another theory is at the duchess boutique, where we see the interaction, she may have said, I only live around the corner, so he heads off and leaves her to walk down Hope street, being a fit bloke he may have rushed ahead of her and waited in the first alley off Hope street, had his car planted there as well, she stumbles past, he grabs her, or knocks her out, loads her into the car and gone.
Maybe the cops see cctv of him heading into Hope street ahead of her then nothing and maybe his car comes out minutes later, it would explain why she didn't scream and why no-one saw her get grabbed from Sydney rd.
Remember that video the journo made and talked about the upfield bike track, he said there was no lighting. (edited)
Fair chance he has watched other women walk home in other areas of Brunswick, predator like him would be licking his lips in dark alleys like this, also well built to handle other muggers etc

Made an edit, but in reality I have no idea if this guy has attacked before.

I think the most likely scenario is a premeditated capture and rape, either he grabbed her after knocking her out or was lying in waiting as described above. Hence no screams, though as we haven't seen the pizza CCTV which could show her being dragged away/hit.

Disturbing that the 13/9 taxis travelling north/south on Sydney road did not see anything, or for that matter a civilian. From what Deveny said i reckon hes started way back down Sydney road on the lookout, just hanging around checking out whos around. Then seen Jill started running to get make sure she didn't get away.

Im still concerned that a person helped him hes been inside a long time, and people get released all the time i wonder if a jail mate has been hanging around him. I think its too suss 2 cars showing up at his house at 2am.
Suspecting his hiding a whole lot more than has been revealed. Even the cops will be in the dark over his movements prior to last weekend.

Has anyone else seen "that" news article? (I'm talking about the scanned copy of a tangible news article; not anything that has been featured online). :mad: :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back