The Jill Meagher case: please read notice in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Realistically, old people who aren't on the internet and live in Victoria would have a very limited amount of information about this guy.

Really? so you think old people live in isolation and know nothing of current events. Pretty big generaliazation to say such a thing.

Either way, im not comfortable with some of these cheap accomadation spots without people aware of who is living there.

She could have pulled a whistle out as well but either she didn't choose to carry one or didn't get the chance. One might suggest that she wouldn't have chosen to carry a weapon, however, that's for another discussion.

RIP Jill and condolences to family friends and workmates.

Edit: This post was in response to a post that appears to have been pulled. Apologies for the off topic.

The interesting thing is that she actually took the long way home from Bar Ettiquette.

If I waa going home from there to where she lived, I would have turned left at Victoria Street (better lit and busier) and then right into Lux thingo from there.

She's actually walked past her house on Sydney Road to get to the bridal shop and would turn left into home and left again into Lux.

But maybe that is just the way she always went. Maybe her and her husband would stop and get a kebab on the way home from the pub every other time and she's just walked that way out of drunken habit.

But yeah, the trying to get to the jack shop thing makes sense.

Lux doesn't come all the way through to Victoria.
She would have to go from Victoria, up Percy, then into a different section of Lux, then into her section of Lux.
Staying on Sydney up to Hope is still quicker/safer IMO

I'm not convinced that there were others involved aside from Bayley. The neighbour's statements that other cars pulled up outside his house can't be used to draw that conclusion unless more is known. Didn't Bayley live in a granny flat to the rear of an established house? If so, unless the neighhour/s actually saw people walking into the property (through to the rear), the car/s could have been visiting the occupant/s of the front dwelling, or any other resident in close promixity, for that matter.

I do believe the additional, as yet unreleased CCTV footage looking down Sydney Rd would give us a much better idea of the sequence of events. I think the police used the media to their benefit and the footage that was released was carefully chosen. Reports did state that the perpetrator was identified internally, so I believe they were trying to gather as much evidence as possible prior to the arrest. Bayley must have been confronted with pretty damning evidence for him to eventually admit his guilt and lead police to the burial site.

. Bayley must have been confronted with pretty damning evidence for him to eventually admit his guilt and lead police to the burial site.

This is what i was thinking. It was announced very quickly that he was to be charged with both rape and murder which leads me to think that either
- somehow they had proof of this (CCTV or witness) and/or
- they convinced him that this was the case (even if it wasnt) and he would be treated leniently if he confessed.
Out of interest i hope this footage is released at some stage.

Also what interests me is what the information that was concealed by the media after the briefing and what caused the distress that was visible at the time. My only suggestions would be:
- they were made aware of his alleged criminal past
- perhaps they were informed that the body was mutilated in some way.

Anybody?

Also what interests me is what the information that was concealed by the media after the briefing and what caused the distress that was visible at the time. My only suggestions would be:

Anybody?

I believe the media were made aware of his criminal history and other relevant info, and were advised by police to suppress this information in the interests of a fair trial. I don't believe the "shocking info" related to the crime itself.

Think about your own reaction to learning of his past. I know it made me sick in the guts.

This is what i was thinking. It was announced very quickly that he was to be charged with both rape and murder which leads me to think that either
- they convinced him that this was the case (even if it wasnt) and he would be treated leniently if he confessed.

"At first he was friendly but insistent. He was not in Sydney Road early on Saturday morning, had not spoken to the victim and was not the man on the CCTV footage.
After some hours police played their ace. They showed him evidence that he was the man. Police will allege he eventually admitted he grabbed Ms Meagher, took her to a side street and sexually assaulted her. They will produce the videoed confession in which he says he drove to Gisborne and used his own shovel to dig a shallow grave to hide his victim. After initially denying any involvement he finally took police to the site where the body was recovered."

So yeah, I'm thinking they've shown him the footage, said we know it is you and then he has admitted to it.

Can we save that discussion for another thread lads?

I believe the media were made aware of his criminal history and other relevant info, and were advised by police to suppress this information in the interests of a fair trial. I don't believe the "shocking info" related to the crime itself.

Think about your own reaction to learning of his past. I know it made me sick in the guts.

I thought it might be re his history as well - but considering it was reported numerous male journo a were in tears and one threw up...

Albion station is about 20km away and on a different train line.

I meant Anstey... Sorry if I don't remember the name of the station exactly, but I did live on Mitchell st off Stewart st or something... Not far away from hope st.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anybody?
Wasn't a journalist physically sick?

Unless the police are fantastic at speedily uncovering other crimes or let him go (not gonna happen if it's vomit-inducing), I doubt it was a prior incident. I unfortunately think it's on mutilation.

Still struggling to reconcile the fact that the perp would've been known to police and was going about his business right under the police noses and they didn't have a tail on him, with all the reports from other women coming out now, surely the police could have paid him a visit and asked a few questions well before last saturday night. Coppers would have to know when an ex rapist/murderer, general bad guy is released from prison and where he ends up living, cripes even the most basic cop shows on tv will have the cops pay a visit to any known perps living in the area when an attack has been reported. Well and good to pat the cops on the back for a job well done but I thought their brief was crime prevention, if bigfooty had access to the 'other' cctv we could well have solved the murder too.
People can rant all they like about lenient court sentences but if the coppers spent less time behind the radar gun and more time doing police work there'd be a good chance the streets would be safer tonight.

I meant Anstey... Sorry if I don't remember the name of the station exactly, but I did live on Mitchell st off Stewart st or something... Not far away from hope st.

Fair enough. I know Anstey station very well. There's far worse on the Upfield line.

Still struggling to reconcile the fact that the perp would've been known to police and was going about his business right under the police noses and they didn't have a tail on him, with all the reports from other women coming out now, surely the police could have paid him a visit and asked a few questions well before last saturday night. Coppers would have to know when an ex rapist/murderer, general bad guy is released from prison and where he ends up living, cripes even the most basic cop shows on tv will have the cops pay a visit to any known perps living in the area when an attack has been reported. Well and good to pat the cops on the back for a job well done but I thought their brief was crime prevention, if bigfooty had access to the 'other' cctv we could well have solved the murder too.
People can rant all they like about lenient court sentences but if the coppers spent less time behind the radar gun and more time doing police work there'd be a good chance the streets would be safer tonight.
Maybe they didn't have enough evidence.

There have been a few reports. Two of them were on the internet before the JM case (guy on bike, the man who r*ped the Dutch girl), but it's unverified if it's him. They were just similar cases in the same-ish suburb. These other reports all came out after the JM case.

Plus, we don't know how the police got him to confess. There's every chance that the pressure they mounted on him was baseless.

I wouldn't go blaming Vicpol yet.

Upfield Line? Albion Station? Have I understood your post correctly? You went past Albion Station whilst on the Upfield train?

Like I posted earlier, I lived there in early 2000s and got the name wrong... It was Anstey.

Maybe they didn't have enough evidence.

There have been a few reports. Two of them were on the internet before the JM case (guy on bike, the man who r*ped the Dutch girl), but it's unverified if it's him. They were just similar cases in the same-ish suburb. These other reports all came out after the JM case.

Plus, we don't know how the police got him to confess. There's every chance that the pressure they mounted on him was baseless.

I wouldn't go blaming Vicpol yet.
One media report by John Silvester had them set the 'dogs' onto AB before he was arrested but after JM's dissappearance, so all of a sudden they knew him and where he lived, why wait until a girl goes missing before staking out a perp, without quoting his priors, the cops must've known who he was and where he lived yet they let him off the leash, what are the 'dogs' doing now?, lets hope they have got another perp under surveillance and not sitting around eating donuts and drinking coffee, and waiting for another missing persons report before they spring into action.

Can we post information that has been published in newspapers?

The Advertiser goes into a lot more detail.

Defies beyond belief the pathetically short sentence people can be given for vicious crimes - especially repeat offenders.

Nope. Given the standard of sub-editing in newpapers these days, I don't trust them to have their ducks and drakes in a row. NO MENTION of any previous legal trouble.

cctv video of the claremont serial killer investigation, not sure which one of the females is in the video but apparently the guy in the black t shirt never came forward, also from another forum Claremont serial killer had a penchant for women in high heels.

One media report by John Silvester had them set the 'dogs' onto AB before he was arrested but after JM's dissappearance, so all of a sudden they knew him and where he lived, why wait until a girl goes missing before staking out a perp, without quoting his priors, the cops must've known who he was and where he lived yet they let him off the leash, what are the 'dogs' doing now?, lets hope they have got another perp under surveillance and not sitting around eating donuts and drinking coffee, and waiting for another missing persons report before they spring into action.

Why would they do this if he isnt suspected of anything new? Are u suggesting surveillance on every convicted sex offender? What about people convicted for serious assaults? Where does it stop? There must be thousands of ex crims. How long do u recommend watching them for? for the rest of their lives? the cops dont know when or if a convicted crim will ever offend again. Vicpol will need to employ another 10k people to watch criminals 24/7 then they will get accused for wasting taxpayers money when a crim never re offends.

Maybe serious crimes like this dont happen very often in this country because the cops are catching majority of these guys before the attack happens? I doubt they tell the public every time they prevent a crime...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back