The joy of watching Victorian teams play football!

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 13, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Chicago Bears
I sat down last night and watched Essendon Vs Bulldogs. Thoroughly enjoyable game by these 2 Victorian sides.

But it dawned on me, throughout the evening, how much more interested I was in the game given it was 2 Victorian sides playing. If it had been Essendon Vs WestCoast, or Buldogs Vs Sydney, I would not have cared about the game nearly as much.

Given that I am currently in NSW, I have seen a heap of games involving interstate teams. the only team that interests me out of all of them is Brisbane.

To me, the real rivalries created over the years between Victorian teams makes them so much better to watch. They are not fabricated teams, franchises with no real soul. The supporters have real passion.

Victorian football is fantastic.

lol

didn't watch Port vs Crows? that's a hundred years of hatred there. even though the Crows are a composite side, a franchise if you will, founded in 1990, they still carry over the hatred of Port Adelaide instilled in them from the other SANFL clubs.

The showdown is so far in front of any other game so far this year its not funny. The only rivalry your team has is with humiliating grand final defeats.

To be honest what interests me is primarily the importance of any given game to my team. So when watching a game that doesnt have the doggies playing I like to watch the games that will effect our position on the ladder.

Interstate games are sometimes good to watch. I can tell you for a fact that Id rather see a derby between the SA or WA teams rather than, for example, the game today between North and Melbourne.

Also there is the fact of the quality of the teams playing. If north and Melbourne were the top 2 teams in the comp id enjoy their game more. The quality of football has always been more important to me than the location of the team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd take a Port vs Adel game anyday over the crap, sloppy, low skilled football that was served up last night.

I sat down last night and watched Essendon Vs Bulldogs. Thoroughly enjoyable game by these 2 Victorian sides.

But it dawned on me, throughout the evening, how much more interested I was in the game given it was 2 Victorian sides playing. If it had been Essendon Vs WestCoast, or Buldogs Vs Sydney, I would not have cared about the game nearly as much.

Given that I am currently in NSW, I have seen a heap of games involving interstate teams. the only team that interests me out of all of them is Brisbane.

To me, the real rivalries created over the years between Victorian teams makes them so much better to watch. They are not fabricated teams, franchises with no real soul. The supporters have real passion.

Victorian football is fantastic.

haha you mean those clubs that kept you afloat while you were taking 70 years to win a flag :D

____ some Victorians are stupid

Oh gee, sorry Port Adelaide fan's have no real soul, support a franchise club and we have no passion....

As far as I'm concerned the most patriotic, vocal, loyal and passionate football fans in the country are Collingwood, Richmond and Port Adelaide in no particular order.

I just enjoy watching all football, it doesn't make a difference where the clubs are from to be honest. I am really looking forward to tonights game between West Coast and Sydney actually, and Saints vs Geelong is on behind me. It is footy, it doesn't matter where the teams are from, its all good.

Watching 2 Victorian teams play football is like watching two homeless guys fighting over a piece of raw meat. Sure it's mildly entertaining, but nothing like watching two boxers go at it in a ring.

I agree with that, Port fans are up there with us and Richmond. Very passionate people.

I was listening to Justin Langer commenting on Port Adelaide fans on 5AA a couple months back (not sure if it was SANFL or AFL he was referring to though...) saying he reckons their the harshest he's come across, one minute your best mate, next wanting to kill their own players haha

But I've been to the odd Richmond and Collingwood game at the 'G and loved every moment of it too.

Remove this Banner Ad

The joy of watching Victorian teams play football!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back