The Last Crow Older than You

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a great thread. Brings back so many memories. I went to school with Darryl Webb who played for North. Coached by Bob Geisler from North. Worked with North's coach Peter Anderson's wife along with Hadyn Bunting the South ruckman. As a little kid a neighbour used to take me along with his son to Richmond Oval on sundays. His cousin was Doug Thomas, a lot of the west players would play kick to kick with us. Saw the best Barrie Robran play his first game for North in the last game of the season in the magoos. None of us knew who this #10 was. We soon found out the next year. Soapy Kantilla was a huge favourite of mine. Best part of getting older is the stuff like this you can think back to. Great thread!:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Was that Hadyn Cutting?? (or Bunting)

It was great to watch Dennis and Neil Sachse. Their younger brother John played less games and was less successful. Dennis seemed massive to me, but when he got up a head of steam on the lead, he was unstoppable and was a great kick. He kicked 13 one day at Prospect against Woodville. I was so disappointed when Neil went to Footscray and devastated about his spinal injury. Bohdan Jaworskyj and Bob Hammond were also favourites of mine. And of course 1972 was the pinnacle!! Did you go out to hear the caoch at the 1/4 and 3/4 time breaks?

Yes I was there in the 13 goal game, I lived about 6 minutes walk from the oval and never missed a home game, summer months were either the Enfield or Prospect picture theatres. So sad about Neil. Buggsy Jaworski was a hard nut and Hammond was the full back I think. Yes I went out at the breaks. Anderson swore the most of all the coaches I heard.I was at the southern end of AO in 72 when we won. Dennis gave Noel Teasdale a hiding but his kicking boot was off. Barrie Robran killed them playing on the wing. Thank you very much for reminding me.:rainbow:

you grow up on the Yorke?

Nah not a stansbury lad, just where Bernie finished school. yrs 10-12 at Prince Alfred College.

I can tell you he has a bunch of sisters/cousins who are all handy sorts.

1st 11 cricket matches became spectator events because of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don Lindner was the best kick, he could kick a droppy like a missile, a couple of meters above the ground about 60 yards. [QUOTE]

Ah, the late and much-lamented stab pass. A good exponent could bruise your chest. I played with Norm Black, the 50s Hawks player, and Norm's passes would almost go right through you from 60 away.

Just spotted this thread. :eek: :D
I would need to look at your first couple of lists.

Along the stab pass lines, my uncle came up from Yorke's when he was 17 to play with West Torrens. He loved telling the story of his first training session at Torrens, full of beans, he lead straight at Bob Shearman in a drill, and Bob unleashed a stab pass that left my uncle flat on his back, gasping for air, with laces imprinted in his chest. He said that Lindsay Head jogged over to him laughing, picked him up off the ground and said, "You'll learn pretty quickly son, you never lead directly at Bob Shearman."

My old man taught me the stab pass when I was young. Amazing the power you can get behind it when executed correctly.

Last edited:
Along the stab pass lines, my uncle came up from Yorke's when he was 17 to play with West Torrens. He loved telling the story of his first training session at Torrens, full of beans, he lead straight at Bob Shearman in a drill, and Bob unleashed a stab pass that left my uncle flat on his back, gasping for air, with laces imprinted in his chest. He said that Lindsay Head jogged over to him laughing, picked him up off the ground and said, "You'll learn pretty quickly son, you never lead directly at Bob Shearman."

My old man taught me the stab pass when I was young. Amazing the power you can get behind it when executed correctly.

I was at the AO when Sturt was playing North Adelaide around the time Kantilla was playing. For a young lad I was amazed to see Bob Shearman burst out of the centre and drill a stab pass to the Sturt FF Emmy Jones. Jones was wring ing his hands after he kicked to goal. He only moved 2 yards to take the mark in the goalsquare. He was in front of the FB who had no chance to stop it. That one play has stuck with me for over 50 years now. Was amazing!

I was at the AO when Sturt was playing North Adelaide around the time Kantilla was playing. For a young lad I was amazed to see Bob Shearman burst out of the centre and drill a stab pass to the Sturt FF Emmy Jones. Jones was wring ing his hands after he kicked to goal. He only moved 2 yards to take the mark in the goalsquare. He was in front of the FB who had no chance to stop it. That one play has stuck with me for over 50 years now. Was amazing!
I can recall when Bob Shearman played for my mob - West Torrens!

Remove this Banner Ad

The Last Crow Older than You

Remove this Banner Ad

Back