The league's best midfield?

Remove this Banner Ad

adagio

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
OK, yes, probably Collingwood, with the ridiculous amount of players they can rotate through there.

But, on paper, which team do you think has the best starting 4 or 5 mids? For a few years now it's been Geelong, but with Ablett gone they've come back to the pack a bit.

Speaking of which, it also begs the question of where Gold Coast's midfield rates in the scheme of things... Ablett, Rischitelli, Harris & Swallow looks a pretty handy combo.

I'd still say Geelong's top 4/5 is very strong although it depends on if Corey/Ling are still up to it:

Bartel, Selwood, Chapman, Corey and with Ling tagging.

Saints have a very strong 5, but they fall a little bit away after that:

Hayes, Goddard, Dal Santo, Montagna and with Jones tagging.

Collingwood clearly have the best depth in the midfield, but not sure if they have the best 4/5: (although still very good)

Swan, Pendlebury, Didak, Thomas?, Ball?

For the best top 4/5 midfielders, I'd have:

1. St Kilda
2. Geelong (although assuming Corey rebounds from injury-ravaged 2010)
3. Collingwood

Although Collingwood clearly has the best ruck, therefore all of Collingwood's midfielders are even better.

Whos to say whos midfield is the best.

Hawthorns midfield though is mighty impressive.

Mitchell, Hodge, Sewell, Lewis, Burgoyne, Rioli, Young, Bateman, Bruce, Ellis

Hawks on-ballers are as top-line as any midfield. However, we have something of an uninspiring ruck division. If either Bailey or Hale are able to step up this year, you'd see us rated higher. Hodge, Burgoyne, Mitchell, Rioli, Young, Lewis and Sewell are as good as any midfield core, and we have good 2nd liners in Bruce, Bateman, Ellis, etc. Not to mention a couple of impressive youngsters in the Nappy Cup

You would have to say Collingwood just on depth...they have about a dozen blokes all capable of playing on the ball.

However to continue on the emerging trend of pumping my own team up, the dogs have a damn strong midfield.

Boyd, Cooney, Griffen, Cross, Picken, Higgins, Ward, Gia.

With a ruck division of Hudson, Minson and an up and coming Roughead, also an untried by very talented Ayce Cordy.

Our midfield alone should see us challenging again this year.

Geelong's at this point.

Corey, Chapman, Selwood, Bartel, Kelly, Ling, Varcoe

with players like Enright, Johnson etc. playing at either end, who could run through the middle. All of them save Kelly and Varcoe have AA credentials.

Collingwood's based on depth is a bit of a stretch. I rate Ball, Swan, Pendlebury, Thomas, Wellingham, Sidebottom, Didak and Beams all pretty well, but not over the above line up for sheer talent depth

Hint all top 4 sides have very good midfields
Sides that are looking to be top 4 this season will have very good midfields

Collingwood have ths best at the moment due to winning the GF. The best midfield of 2011 will be determined by who wins the 2011 GF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hint all top 4 sides have very good midfields
Sides that are looking to be top 4 this season will have very good midfields

Collingwood have ths best at the moment due to winning the GF. The best midfield of 2011 will be determined by who wins the 2011 GF.

That is a ridiculous comment.

In 2005 and 2008, tell me who had the best midfield and tell me who won the flag.

I think there's a reasonable argument that says it's the MCG in Victoria. Unfortunately Etihad is a distant last while Skilled statium isn't that great. :rolleyes:

Stupid pissing contest thread to attract nuffies!

Dogs could find themselves 2nd now after Pies.
Cross, Cooney, Boyd, Griffen, but they need to find more from the 2nd tier (Sherman etc will have first crack, Libba & Wallis in a few years).

Ward, Higgins, Giansiracusa?

Sandilands, Goddard, Ablett, Swan, Judd would be the leagues best midfield.

Before Ablett left, Geelong had the best starting 4 (including ruckman).

Now Collingwood do.

Pendlebury, Swan, Ball and Jolly. Never thought I'd see the day to be honest. Collingwood and 'Great midfield' haven't been in the same sentence for many MANY years.

Buckley was doing it alone for so long :(

edit: St.Kilda, Fremantle and Carlton are pretty good too. I'd almost put Carlton second to be honest.

Remove this Banner Ad

The league's best midfield?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back