The Liberal Party - How long? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

LOL that ornament to civilisation* Nick Minchin is in the SMH letters page today saying compulsory voting is one of the “greatest blights” on our democracy.

*(And full-on climate denier- who’d have thought!)
But voting isn't compulsory, only getting your name ticked off the electoral roll is compulsory at each election. What you do with your piece of paper and whether you chose to make your vote formal or informal is up to the individual.

But voting isn't compulsory, only getting your name ticked off the electoral roll is compulsory at each election. What you do with your piece of paper and whether you chose to make your vote formal or informal is up to the individual.
Yeah even that is too much for Minchin. Such a weird hill to die on.

These jokers fetishise “freedom” but never pause to ponder that their “freedoms” are anything but universal, and actually quite selective.

EG some Americans bang on about their freedom to own guns, but never explain how that trumps the freedom of everyone’s kids to not get their heads blown off in a school massacre.

These jokers fetishise “freedom” but never pause to ponder that their “freedoms” are anything but universal, and actually quite selective.

EG some Americans bang on about their freedom to own guns, but never explain how that trumps the freedom of everyone’s kids to not get their heads blown off in a school massacre.
There are now broad sections of the Liberal Party that look at the possibilities of Trump's America as extremely aspirational for us. The party of Menzies is well and truly dead.

There are now broad sections of the Liberal Party that look at the possibilities of Trump's America as extremely aspirational for us. The party of Menzies is well and truly dead.
No wonder Minchin wants to abolish compulsory voting. For all that is effed with Australia, we’ll never go down that road without some serious electoral meddling.

Yeah, you have the freedom to calls trans people pedophiles and stains on society.

People also have the freedom to cancel you and fire back on Twitter and sue you in response.

No wonder Minchin wants to abolish compulsory voting. For all that is effed with Australia, we’ll never go down that road without some serious electoral meddling.
I never thought it took a huge stretch of imagination to see Scott Morrison deciding he didn't accept the result of an election.

I never thought it took a huge stretch of imagination to see Scott Morrison deciding he didn't accept the result of an election.
Considering how quickly and amicably he did concede in 2022, I think this says more about your inability to give those on the opposite side any credit for anything.

Whomever loses the next election will also concede graciously and in a timely fashion.

Considering how quickly and amicably he did concede in 2022, I think this says more about your inability to give those on the opposite side any credit for anything.

Whomever loses the next election will also concede graciously and in a timely fashion.
But Peter Dutton doesn't come across as gracious. I would be happily surprised if he did lose an election and still manage to concede graciously.

But Peter Dutton doesn't come across as gracious. I would be happily surprised if he did lose an election and still manage to concede graciously.

Neither was Paul Keating. And despite the obvious fact that losing to Howard has eaten away at him for the best part of 30 years, he conceded on election night in a gracious and timely manner. This is the norm in Australia and there is no reason to think it will not continue.

Neither was Paul Keating. And despite the obvious fact that losing to Howard has eaten away at him for the best part of 30 years, he conceded on election night in a gracious and timely manner. This is the norm in Australia and there is no reason to think it will not continue.
Keating at least had a personality and his own ideas.

Dutton is trying to be Trump lite without the theatrics

This is Smirko we're talking about, anything was possible with him. Luckily our political system offered next to no wriggle room for him on this one, unlike our system for appointing ministers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is Smirko we're talking about, anything was possible with him. Luckily our political system offered next to no wriggle room for him on this one, unlike our system for appointing ministers.

Without pardoning Morrison's behaviour on multiple ministries which was inexcusable, we ran the experiment. He lost an election and was conceded in the conventional fashion. We know what he would have done in that situation because he did it in that exact situation.

Not sure Morrison even wanted the job anymore by that point.

It’s recorded Paul gave John a very thorough and helpful handover

Without pardoning Morrison's behaviour on multiple ministries which was inexcusable, we ran the experiment. He lost an election and was conceded in the conventional fashion. We know what he would have done in that situation because he did it in that exact situation.
What if the election was a lot closer and he heard voices in his head telling him that it was God's plan?

We know he hears God's voice in his head. You can never fully trust a person who hears imaginary things and believes them to be the law above the Parliament.

The multiple ministries showed that he didn't care at all about norms or executive Government.

And what did everyone else learn from the multiple ministries? That you can do it and get away with it. Makes them wonder what else they might be able to get away with.

(There are plenty of world-wide examples that discarding previous norms is not exclusively the domain of the conservative side of politics.) But it's been the conservatives in Aus politics who have done it most. Think the dismissal, the Vic Libs recently renegging on pairs, multiple ministries. I'm not sure there are examples from the ALP/Greens, but happy to be corrected.

What if the election was a lot closer and he heard voices in his head telling him that it was God's plan?

We know he hears God's voice in his head. You can never fully trust a person who hears imaginary things and believes them to be the law above the Parliament.

The multiple ministries showed that he didn't care at all about norms or executive Government.

And what did everyone else learn from the multiple ministries? That you can do it and get away with it. Makes them wonder what else they might be able to get away with.

(There are plenty of world-wide examples that discarding previous norms is not exclusively the domain of the conservative side of politics.) But it's been the conservatives in Aus politics who have done it most. Think the dismissal, the Vic Libs recently renegging on pairs, multiple ministries. I'm not sure there are examples from the ALP/Greens, but happy to be corrected.

On the dismissal, I'm pretty sure trying to run a government without funding was discarding a previous norm.

There is no reason to think Dutton or Albanese wouldn't concede, but if Dutton lost the election and didn't concede a la Trump, I'd be criticising him both publicly and privately.

On the dismissal, I'm pretty sure trying to run a government without funding was discarding a previous norm.

There is no reason to think Dutton or Albanese wouldn't concede, but if Dutton lost the election and didn't concede a la Trump, I'd be criticising him both publicly and privately.
Do you have faith that this would be the majority party position. If the circumstances are that:
1. It's a one seat majority
2. Two electorates in Queensland have dubious claims to electoral fraud, but the Courier Mail is saying they're legit.

Do you have faith that this would be the majority party position. If the circumstances are that:
1. It's a one seat majority
2. Two electorates in Queensland have dubious claims to electoral fraud, but the Courier Mail is saying they're legit.

First of all, in this situation is it unlikely a result would be clear on election night. There are always a handful of seats that take the full two weeks of counting to declare a winner. So the timely question changes unavoidably in your scenario.

But I would expect Dutton to concede in your scenario once it became clear he would not win the election. And I would criticise him if he did not.

Not conceding in Australia is irrelevant unless a party captures the AEC.

Morrison is probably the only one who would try that and he didn’t even do it.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Liberal Party - How long? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back