Mega Thread The Mark Neeld Mega-Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I was at the 186 game in 2011. From memory, Melbourne was only a few games out of the eight (closer to the eight than the spoon, at least).

That remains the most disgraceful performance I have ever seen from a 'professional' sporting club and quite simply the club never recovered from it.

As a counter argument to sacking him now.
What does sacking him this week really get, his replacement cant do anything with the list, and noone really wants a caretaker role for 2/3 the season.

They'd want to have a replacement lined up before sacking imo, that way he can assess list over rest of this year, and make some drastic changes.

Bring in Ayres.

He is sitting by the phone.
He's done a bloody good job at Port Melbourne. He's also the kind of bloke who won't take shit from anyone which I feel is exactly what Melbourne needs - in fact this is one of the big reasons why I've been a Neeld backer up to this point, because Neeld seemed like the kind of bloke who'd bring the no-nonsense approach to the game which Melbourne plainly needs.

Unfortunately results so far tend to indicate the players haven't bought into it... frankly I'm still not sure if that's Neeld or the players' fault or a combination of both. Either way I don't see what Melbourne has to lose by handing the reigns over to Neil Craig for the rest of the year. Losing by 10 goals to an expansion club is just un-acceptable and I don't think the club should stand for it. (full credit to GC who have improved somewhat)

As a counter argument to sacking him now.
What does sacking him this week really get, his replacement cant do anything with the list, and noone really wants a caretaker role for 2/3 the season.

They'd want to have a replacement lined up before sacking imo, that way he can assess list over rest of this year, and make some drastic changes.

It at least gives us - the punters showing up, the punters who are right now losing our passion for everything involving the club - some sort of indication of hope.

Right now, what hope do I, as a supporter, have? And be serious, don't patronise me with a 'you have to have hope' thing. It's a real question that I don't have the answer to.

It at least gives us - the punters showing up, the punters who are right now losing our passion for everything involving the club - some sort of indication of hope.

Right now, what hope do I, as a supporter, have? And be serious, don't patronise me with a 'you have to have hope' thing. It's a real question that I don't have the answer to.
If you're still watching the games and still on the forum, you must have hope inside you somewhere, if i'd ever lost all hope i wouldn't watch the games nor touch the keyboard.

Neeld's presser was just one pathetic, shitful excuse after another.. Unbelievable really. He has to be sacked. I don't think he will be, but he's killing the little talent the club has.

couldnt agree more. not even mark harvey went to the lengths neeld did today

As for people suggesting that nobody would want the Melbourne coaching job - take your heads out of your arses.

How often does an opportunity to become head coach of an AFL club come along? Once or twice a year if that. How many ex-players are keen to give the job a try? Lots. Do the maths.
More the point, there's one big advantage to be had from Melbourne hitting rock bottom (which this week's game must surely represent) and that is that any coach who comes in to replace Neeld has only one way to go and thats UP. How on earth could anyone possibly do any worse?? The "new coach effect" alone would probably be enough to earn them a couple of wins, and winning builds confidence which is exactly what this team is desperately lacking right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As for people suggesting that nobody would want the Melbourne coaching job - take your heads out of your arses.

How often does an opportunity to become head coach of an AFL club come along? Once or twice a year if that. How many ex-players are keen to give the job a try? Lots. Do the maths.
More the point, there's one big advantage to be had from Melbourne hitting rock bottom (which this week's game must surely represent) and that is that any coach who comes in to replace Neeld has only one way to go and thats UP. How on earth could anyone possibly do any worse?? The "new coach effect" alone would probably be enough to earn them a couple of wins, and winning builds confidence which is exactly what this team is desperately lacking right now.
I thought that was the sentiment when Neeld took over the position. Now he will probably never get another chance to coach again. That is an important point too.

Has a club in the modern era ever undergone two consecutive complete rebuilds? Bizarre they can get rid of so much 'dead wood', pick up a legion of talented youngsters and years later still be equally as shit.

If you/re still watching the games and still on the forum, you must have hope inside you somewhere, if i'd ever lost all hope i wouldn't watch nor touch the keyboard.

Well how the hell did you do it? I don't know why Richmond supporters continued to put up with it.

Neeld always looks so blank in his expressions. Almost like the lights are on but nobody is home. His speeches just about put you to sleep.

Well how the hell did you do it? I don't know why Richmond supporters continued to put up with it.
Hope. The faintest glimmer is worth clinging to. Be it Viney or Toumpas, knowing that Grimes & Clark will come back (eventually), that Jonesy might lead you out of it, that Trengrove might improve without the burden of captaincy, that teams take a while to gel...

Cause at the end of the day when the angers gone and you sit back and think about it, there's absolutely nothing you can do to affect the outcome, stay calm as possible and i'll always be a tiger no matter if we dont make the finals for another 30 years, just how I am i guess.

Interesting title on the Dees webpage:

Gold Coast easily over Dees

How about use some more descriptive language like thrash or even mention pathetic effort etc etc
I think it is meant to be a pun on 'coast'.

I thought that was the sentiment when Neeld took over the position. Now he will probably never get another chance to coach again. That is an important point too.
Exactly. He never got this bounce and now his career looks like it might be at an end. Will take a strong character to shake things up, but the changes need to go much, much deeper.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread The Mark Neeld Mega-Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back