The MCG should always host the Grand Final post pandemic.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm up for a rotation. We've now got some great grounds in Adelaide and Perth. Post-Olympics slot Brisbane in. It also allows the AFL to dabble in their night/twilight GF every couple years without desecrating the tradition of the day MCG final.

That MCG until 2055 contracting is a blight on the game

e.g. Australian Open tennis used to rotate around until the 1970s:

1971 - White City, Sydney | March
1970 - White City, Sydney | Jan

1969 - Milton, Brisbane | Jan (Australian Champs renamed the Australian Open ('open era'))
1968 - Kooyong, Melbourne | Jan
1967 - Mem. Drive, Adelaide | Jan
1966 - White City, Sydney | Jan
1965 - Kooyong, Melbourne | Jan
1964 - Milton, Brisbane | Jan
1963 - Mem. Drive, Adelaide | Jan
1962 - White City, Sydney | Jan
1961 - Kooyong, Melbourne | Jan
1960 - Milton, Brisbane | Jan

1959 - Mem. Drive, Adelaide | Jan
1958 - White City, Sydney | Jan
1957 - Kooyong, Melbourne | Jan
1956 - Milton, Brisbane | Jan
1955 - Mem. Drive, Adelaide | Jan
1954 - White City, Sydney | Jan
1953 - Kooyong, Melbourne | Jan
1952 - Mem. Drive, Adelaide | Jan
1951 - White City, Sydney | Jan
1950 - Kooyong, Melbourne | Jan

1949 - Mem. Drive, Adelaide | Jan
1948 - Kooyong, Melbourne | Jan
1947 - White City, Sydney | Jan
1946 - Mem. Drive, Adelaide | Jan
WWII
1940 - White City, Sydney | Jan

1939 - Kooyong, Melbourne | Jan
1938 - Mem. Drive, Adelaide | Jan
1937 - White City, Sydney | Jan
1936 - Mem. Drive, Adelaide | Jan
1935 - Kooyong, Melbourne | Jan
1934 - White City, Sydney | Jan
1933 - Kooyong, Melbourne | Jan
1932 - Mem. Drive, Adelaide | Jan
1931 - White City, Sydney | Jan
1930 - Kooyong, Melbourne | Jan

1929 - Mem. Drive, Adelaide | Jan
1928 - White City, Sydney | Jan
1927 - Kooyong, Melbourne | Jan
1926 - Mem. Drive, Adelaide | Jan
1925 - White City, Sydney | Jan
1924 - Albert Cricket Ground, Melbourne | Jan
1923 - Milton, Brisbane | Aug
1922 - White City, Sydney | Dec
1921 - Mueller Park, Perth | Dec
1920 - Adelaide Oval, Adelaide | Mar

1919 - Double Bay Grounds, Sydney | Jan '20
WWI
1915 - Auchenflower, Brisbane | Aug
1914 - Albert CG, Melbourne | Nov
1913 - Mueller Park, Perth | Nov
1912 - Hastings, New Zealand
1911 - Albert CG, Melbourne | Nov
1910 - Adelaide Oval, Adelaide | Mar

1909 - Perth Zoo, Perth | Oct
1908 - SCG, Sydney | Dec (final at Double Bay Grounds)
1907 - Auchenflower, Brisbane | Aug
1906 - Hagley Park, Christchurch | Dec
1905 - Albert CG, Melbourne | Nov

Last edited:

I'm up for a rotation. We've now got some great grounds in Adelaide and Perth. Post-Olympics slot Brisbane in. It also allows the AFL to dabble in their night/twilight GF every couple years without desecrating the tradition of the day MCG final.

That MCG until 2055 contracting is a blight on the game

You got that right.

What do you think of ANZ hosting GFs?

What do you think of ANZ hosting GFs?
I don't think it would be very popular for now, maybe around the same time as Brisbane. They've packed some decent AFL crowds in there, but there are the surface problems, and it is also kind of the NRL's MCG in terms of grand finals (but I suspect they'll end up rotating more too). As a neutral venue it wouldn't have the same stink as it had when the Swans were forced to play there.

Cycle MCG-OO-MCG-AO and then add ANZ/Gabba by 2040. Also gives those less-footy states more time to build up another generation and possibly a third team. I don't think you'd get a year when both AFL and NRL played their GFs at the ANZ in the same few weeks, other state governments would hate that.

Last edited:
Classic entitlement comment.
Entitlement?

Im sorry did the WAFFLE enter our league or did we enter theirs?

Im a little confused here. The entitlement is WA sooks who want to take a grand final away from the MCG.

I FIRMLY believe - if the Grand Final is Fremantle Vs. West Coast, its ridiculous for it to be played anywhere but Perth. Same with the Adelaide teams.

But any other scenario? Has to be the MCG. Or else it's a watered down event.

Let’s see how far that entitlement gets them with them trying to hold onto sporting events over the next decade with that bankrupt economy. Other states will be kindly taking control of these events as that state tries to keep its head above water.
Our economy is ****ed. You're right about that, but rather it go to Perth than that soulless cesspool patch of grass and concrete sheets called ANZ Stadium. That place is the biggest shit hole in the country and would rather have the Grand final played at Metricon.

Our economy is f’ed. You're right about that, but rather it go to Perth than that soulless cesspool patch of grass and concrete sheets called ANZ Stadium. That place is the biggest sh*t hole in the country and would rather have the Grand final played at Metricon.
It’s not just ****ed it’s dead & buried. Re-elect Jeff, he’ll pimp something off to help out👍

In the last 15 seasons of AFL Football 12 premierships have been won by Victorian sides whilst a measly two (Sydney 2012, Eagles 2018) were won by Interstate rivals. Here's a recap of the victories since - which includes 3 dynasties.

Hawthorn - 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015
Richmond - 2017, 2019, 2020
Geelong - 2007, 2009, 2011
Collingwood - 2010
Western Bulldogs - 2016

Now the narrative on Big Footy for many years was simple. Supporters of interstate sides continuously moaned about the Grand Final being played at the MCG. Hawthorn's three peat victories against Fremantle, West Coast and Sydney sparked the fury - Richmond's dominate record breaking undefeated streak at the MCG made it constant dialogue.

In the 2020 season - something unpredictable happened, unprecedented- the Grand Final - the entire finals series was played outside Victoria. The Victorian sides played the majority of their season interstate, made the finals and under unbelievable living conditions, these milestone victories occurred in the finals.

- Collingwood knocked out West Coast in Perth, after being locked in quarantine Hubs for a one week and being publicity humiliated in WA newspapers. They defeated the Eagles by 1 point and knocked them out.

- Richmond defeated Port Adelaide in the Preliminary Final - in Adelaide, by 1 goal, in a dour low scoring affair - having slept in a homeless shelter the night before the game according to Dylan Grimes.

- Geelong demolished a pathetic Brisbane at the Gabba - having spent over 100 days living away from their families.

Now in season 2021, after the Bulldogs remarkable victory. Here we are again, the finals series is down to four teams, no Victorian finals, Victorian teams like Melbourne playing their well earned home final in Adelaide - were down to four - three of them?

Melbourne, Footscray and Geelong.

Can we squash the conversation that Interstate teams are disadvantaged with the current system set up? Can we stop hearing pathetic complaints about the Grand Final being moved away from the MCG in the future? The Interstate teams transitioned into the old VFL, not vice versa.

The MCG is the biggest stadium in the country, 40,000 more people can see the game live.

This thread should honestly be placed atop the BF threads board every finals series.

Interstate sides - its not the MCG that stopped your premiership chances, the best team wins no matter where or when. The GF should always be played where it belongs, at the biggest, most historical stadium in the country.
Lol

Getting to play the most important match of the year on your home ground against sides coming from out of state had no bearing. Play some of those grand finals on the travelling sides grounds and there's a different winner for sure.

I don't think it would be very popular for now, maybe around the same time as Brisbane. They've packed some decent AFL crowds in there, but there are the surface problems, and it is also kind of the NRL's MCG in terms of grand finals (but I suspect they'll end up rotating more too). As a neutral venue it wouldn't have the same stink as it had when the Swans were forced to play there.

Cycle MCG-OO-MCG-AO and then add ANZ/Gabba by 2040. Also gives those less-footy states more time to build up another generation and possibly a third team. I don't think you'd get a year when both AFL and NRL played their GFs at the ANZ in the same few weeks, other state governments would hate that.

Not bad. MCG 22, 24, 26, 28, 30, 32, AO 23, 27, 31, Optus 25, 29, 33.

Gabba and ANZ come in 30s and 40s. Something like: Gabba, MCG, Optus, MCG, Adelaide Oval, MCG, Optus, MCG, Adelaide Oval, MCG, ANZ, MCG, Optus, MCG, Adelaide Oval, MCG, Gabba.

Gabba and ANZ (or new Sydney stadium) don't get it as much as the MCG, AO, Optus, and as you say, try not to have NRL and AFL grand finals on in the same year.

Entitlement?

Im a little confused here. The entitlement is WA sooks who want to take a grand final away from the MCG.

I FIRMLY believe - if the Grand Final is Fremantle Vs. West Coast, its ridiculous for it to be played anywhere but Perth. Same with the Adelaide teams.

Funny, I thought it was called the AFL. ie Australian. ;)

Anyway the AFL are trying to turn it into a night time entertainment 'event'.

So much for their caring about tradition & real footy people where ever they're from.

There are some very nice stadiums built in recent years. I can’t see why the GF can’t be rotated among the best stadiums in the country. Even if it were every 3 years, and that’s only to enable the maximum number of fans to watch the game live. Otherwise, if all the main stadiums could accommodate 80,000-90,000 fans, no reason why it couldn’t rotate among them each year.

I don't think 53.5k is enough for Adelaide Oval; they need to upgrade to 70k. Optus is good at 60k and can increase capacity, and crowds aren't an issue for ANZ; the playing surface is, and potentially infrastructure and facility issues. New Gabba will be good to go post-Olympics.

Perhaps it's jumping the gun to start some rotation system now, but honestly, states could resolve these issues I've mentioned within this decade.

In addition to making the non-Vic GFs twilight/night to maximise revenue while keeping the traditional MCG afternoon slot, there's NO good reason why they have to wait until 20****in60 to start rotating. It's utterly absurd and biased, and tradition is a weak argument.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Entitlement?

It’s not 1965 anymore. The majority of AFL fans never grew up with your amateur Victorian league and don’t give a toss about how many b&fs Jonny stilton won. I’m all for you ‘remembering the good ol days’ but it’s a different competition with a different following.

What's sadder is that the NRL boss envisions a future where they rotate the NRL grand final between Sydney, Brisbane, and somewhere else. It makes the AFL look like an archaic mob of muppets. When are they going to understand? The financial argument is bullshit because you can make non-Vic grand finals twilight time to maximise TV revenue on the east coast.

That brings me to this question: is today's 5:15 pm AWST bouncedown the most optimal time for prime time ratings? If not, what would've been a better bouncedown time to generate the most amount of revenue from the east?

As for the AFL, they should be rotating now. MCG and Optus and then add Adelaide Oval if they increase to 70k.

As others have said, Sydney could come into the equation later when they resolve their issues and only host a GF when the NRL is hosting elsewhere, and Brisbane comes into the mix too post-Olympics but also don't get the GF if they're getting the NRL that year.

The GF at Optus Perth will be epic,
potentially one of the best ever, especially if it's a close contest.

Perhaps 60 to 90k can physically be there at any GF. And by contrast, millions who only see it on TV. .It's pure mathematics.

Optus Perth and the Adelaide Oval might just be the perfect GF venues.

Those Victorians ..:rolleyes: with their quaint little lockdowns..

The GF at Optus Perth will be epic,
potentially one of the best ever, especially if it's a close contest.

Perhaps 60 to 90k can physically be there at any GF. And by contrast, millions who only see it on TV. .It's pure mathematics.

Optus Perth and the Adelaide Oval might just be the perfect GF venues.

Those Victorians ..:rolleyes: with their quaint little lockdowns..
Nowhere does a lockdown like the viccos. Half ass it, people don’t comply, it spreads and just keeps going. Think of those poor mcc Melbourne members that paid year after year only to be stuck in the loungeroom with the cat. No visitors, no friends just them. The siren will go & they won’t be able to celebrate with family or friends. Ohhh my heart bleeds for em

The MCG contract should be extended until the 21st century. The MCG is the home of Football in Australia and it's totally absurd to have it anywhere else unless there are extenuating circumstances as we have now. If not, then Melbourne must lose 4 or 5 teams and other interstate teams be introduced, move AFL headquarters to Canberra and be done with it. Personally, i would rather it all go back to the VFL and play on suburban grounds with over $100,000 in attendance for all finals at the MCG. I know that will never happen. I get more enjoyment out of local footy these days, but that's all been canceled. I grew up in the golden age of football, what a wonderful product the AFL had when they first dreamed of going National. It's gone all pear-shaped and the last 10 years have been abysmal and the decline isn't over yet. Today's Channel Seven Grand Final Pre game coverage is appalling.. The only thing that will save Australian Rules Football is a return to the MCG permanently!

The MCG contract should be extended until the 21st century. The MCG is the home of Football in Australia and it's totally absurd to have it anywhere else unless there are extenuating circumstances as we have now. If not, then Melbourne must lose 4 or 5 teams and other interstate teams be introduced, move AFL headquarters to Canberra and be done with it. Personally, i would rather it all go back to the VFL and play on suburban grounds with over $100,000 in attendance for all finals at the MCG. I know that will never happen. I get more enjoyment out of local footy these days, but that's all been canceled. I grew up in the golden age of football, what a wonderful product the AFL had when they first dreamed of going National. It's gone all pear-shaped and the last 10 years have been abysmal and the decline isn't over yet. Today's Channel Seven Grand Final Pre game coverage is appalling.. The only thing that will save Australian Rules Football is a return to the MCG permanently!

How would having at the G change the coverage by channel 7?
And just in case you have been living in a cave Australian Rules Football died many many years ago, this new sport called AFL which is a hybrid version of the once great sport was what you Victorians wanted. No matter how many rules they change you guys keep filling up the g attending. AFL (AuskickFootball League) Expanded and nurtured by Victoria.
The rest of the country thanks you for killing off Australian Rules Football. Job well done.

Nah. Payout the contract, **** the VAFL. Even with a miracle new contract, I still can't see the MCG getting it any less than every second year. In that case, I'd give it to Adelaide and Perth every four years and Brisbane and Sydney coming into the fray in the 2030s/40s, getting it every 16 years. I still think every second year would be too much for Melbourne, though; make it once every three years for them.

Nah, there's no logical argument for keeping it there other than the bullshit contract. Be like the NRL, who are considering rotating grand finals in the future and sooner than 2060. You could set it up in the future that Melbourne gets it every three years, Perth-Brisbane-Sydney-Adelaide every six years.

I actually really like it in Perth this year. Brisbane was garbage but Adelaide, Perth, and Melbourne in a rotation until Brisbane and Sydney build the required stadiums is fine by me.

Kind of like the Champions League final on a rotation and if you’re lucky enough to get it in your home city, so be it. This would still be huge in Melbourne right now if we weren’t locked down.

Worth remembering that most people don’t attend the game anyway, and in normal times Melbourne and Bulldogs fans would be able to travel to Perth.

Remove this Banner Ad

The MCG should always host the Grand Final post pandemic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back