Mega Thread The Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would’ve thought it was stating the obvious. Our list is better. We were minor premiers just 5 years ago. We’ve got a duel Brownlow medalist in his prime. So we should be.

The problem for Carlton is they've had endless top end picks (including #1 picks) and either they have been bad at picking or their development sucks - probably both. Their strike rate is pretty appalling, not only way back when (like ours was also) but also recently. SoS was a fraud of a list manager. Acted like he was a king among men and he was just woeful at pretty much everything he did.

Meanwhile Freo has been nailing its early picks over recent years and we are giving them leadership responsibility on the field. So unlike Carlton we were not relying nearly as heavily on ~30yo players this year. We've also been very creative trade wise. That downgrade of pick #3 that led us to getting Logue, Ryan, Darcy and McCarthy was genius. That's the b22 under 22 ruck, an AA defender & Doig medallist (probably) on top of Logue who looked future AA based on his early games. Those idiots thinking that we downgraded for McCarthy really don't get it. And similarly with getting the three top 10 picks last year - SoS would have been too busy trying to win every trade and then ended up not landing any of the players.

I always remember sitting in the stands in the lead up to the 1997 WAFL GF listening the the radio and hearing Tim Gossage interviewing John Todd who at the same time was walking on Subiaco oval about 30m away from where I was sitting answering his questions during one of the breaks in the reserves match. At one point Gossage tells Todd (already a 5 time premiership coach - about to coach a 6th in a few hours time) about his poor record in finals. Todd says "well everyone is entitled to their opinion. Some people think that just because a person is tall and wears glasses it means he must be smart"

Anyway, here's a brief summary of Tim's twitter posts on Fremantle. I'm blocked by him so I can't respond.

The biggest footy story of the day is Ben Brown being shopped around. Would he fit freodockers
... Taberner to centre half forward with Brown out of square. Lobb to ruck.

Darcy is not a first ruck. Not for enough and has little impact.
(sic)

You need a ruckman who gets things moving .... not someone who tries to nullify the opposition ruck. Very good back up but won’t be a game changing role player

Darcy is not a first ruck and Hogan is not a key forward. Lobb is a first ruck and needs to work on that craft.

Hogan is not a marking forward. Brown and Taberner are.

Not a key forward. Half forward / mid.

High half forward

Last edited:
I am utterly confused at how anyone can have watched our games this year and decided that Lobb was the better ruck than Darcy.

I am equally confused that he thinks at 28, Lobb needs time to work on his craft, mate,, his ruck craft at 28 is what's going to be, it aint getting better from here

I am utterly confused at how anyone can have watched our games this year and decided that Lobb was the better ruck than Darcy.

I am equally confused that he thinks at 28, Lobb needs time to work on his craft, mate,, his ruck craft at 28 is what's going to be, it aint getting better from here

They don't call him Goose-age for nothing.

WAFC shafting Freo
Liked for the share - not the content...

Surely this isn't a surprise to anyone. And provides some sort of explanation, not a justification mind you, of our (in)famous early incompetence. After all, the AFL brought us in to dilute the influence of the slime, so the WAFC weren't going to sit back and let that happen without a fight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I always remember sitting in the stands in the lead up to the 1997 WAFL GF listening the the radio and hearing Tim Gossage interviewing John Todd who at the same time was walking on Subiaco oval about 30m away from where I was sitting answering his questions during one of the breaks in the reserves match. At one point Gossage tells Todd (already a 5 time premiership coach - about to coach a 6th in a few hours time) about his poor record in finals. Todd says "well everyone is entitled to their opinion. Some people think that just because a person is tall and wears glasses it means he must be smart"

Anyway, here's a brief summary of Tim's twitter posts on Fremantle. I'm blocked by him so I can't respond.

The biggest footy story of the day is Ben Brown being shopped around. Would he fit freodockers
... Taberner to centre half forward with Brown out of square. Lobb to ruck.

Darcy is not a first ruck. Not for enough and has little impact.
(sic)

You need a ruckman who gets things moving .... not someone who tries to nullify the opposition ruck. Very good back up but won’t be a game changing role player

Darcy is not a first ruck and Hogan is not a key forward. Lobb is a first ruck and needs to work on that craft.

Hogan is not a marking forward. Brown and Taberner are.

Not a key forward. Half forward / mid.

High half forward
Scott Lycette has a premiership medal by negating Grundy. Nic Nats got no medal.

2 best ruckman recently Gawn & Grundy, negated by Darcy this year = 2 wins.

Yep Darcy’s ****ed & no room for improvement at 21.
Geez Gossage is a campaigner.

They don't call him Goose-age for nothing.
Goosearse?
Liked for the share - not the content...

Surely this isn't a surprise to anyone. And provides some sort of explanation, not a justification mind you, of our (in)famous early incompetence. After all, the AFL brought us in to dilute the influence of the slime, so the WAFC weren't going to sit back and let that happen without a fight.
Having a clear perspective on history is handy. No club has been more advantaged in its start-up years than the WC. It was so privileged it jealously guarded that privilege stingily and worked actively to stunt Freo wherever possible.

Yeah, it's nothing against him at all, I just love that the club seem to have ceased making those decisions that appease the media, and fall into line with the sheep mentality. The key figures are now executing commendable decisions that will stand us in excellent stead both on and off the field!

Hopefully JL learned his lesson about hiring ex West Coast and won’t try to sneak in another Mark LeCrap. I can’t believe that would have gone over very well with the players. Not to mention the membership.

Hopefully JL learned his lesson about hiring ex West Coast and won’t try to sneak in another Mark LeCrap. I can’t believe that would have gone over very well with the players. Not to mention the membership.

Wait, do people actually care about hiring ex-WC? Don't recall anyone at WC caring about J-Lo fixing up their forwardline.

Are we genuinely annoyed about bringing in former West Coast players? are we really that immature? Who they played for is irrelevant, plus the rivalry ain't that serious.

yeah i couldn't care less if our coaches are ex-WCE or not. lecras was in for what 1 session/week pre covid cuts?
I care. WC are toxic. I don’t want to see anyone associated with them in our colours. And Frankly I hated seeing JL
In theirs. Sorry, not sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back