The Melbourne City Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Went to my first A League game in well over a year last night.

Our defence was immense, only one or two mistakes gave the Nix any chance of scoring

Novillo and Fornaroli seem like best mates. It was great seeing Harry pump up the crowd before Bruno's penalty.

A great night and a great win. Hard to see anyone deserving to come out for Wilko and Mooy, which is a testament to our strong squad.

Well yeah because it is football...

The focus needs to be on finishing strongly and playing good football leading into the finals, the plate is just a bonus.

It's quite the conundrum for the Australian sports fan. Any other soccer fan in the world would tell us that the plate is what matters, the grand final trophy is just consolation and the fact that we were one game off playing in the grand final, despite having a losing record last year, would back that up. But it's so ingrained in our culture, especially in the AFL where finishing on top of the ladder often means you're in no better position than if you'd finished second, that it's hard to shake that the champions trophy (is that what's it's called?) is the important one.

Stuff it, let's win both. I'm just excited that it's a topic of discussion for our supporters.

It's quite the conundrum for the Australian sports fan. Any other soccer fan in the world would tell us that the plate is what matters, the grand final trophy is just consolation and the fact that we were one game off playing in the grand final, despite having a losing record last year, would back that up. But it's so ingrained in our culture, especially in the AFL where finishing on top of the ladder often means you're in no better position than if you'd finished second, that it's hard to shake that the champions trophy (is that what's it's called?) is the important one.

Stuff it, let's win both. I'm just excited that it's a topic of discussion for our supporters.

Don't get me wrong, I want to finish top but I'm more interested in continue our good form going into finals, I'd hope the players are just focused on results and not finishing top, I think Bruno focused a fair bit on that in his interview last night.

Don't get me wrong, I want to finish top but I'm more interested in continue our good form going into finals, I'd hope the players are just focused on results and not finishing top, I think Bruno focused a fair bit on that in his interview last night.

Finishing top would be massive though: you lock in a piece of silverware that is (in most people's eyes) at least the equal of anything available to an A-League team and it gives us a guaranteed grand final in Melbourne, if we make it. I wouldn't underestimate playing a grand final at AAMI against Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth or Wanderers, even if we didn't win it. I think if we manage to win either trophy this year, especially if we also have a home grand final, we could/should start seeing crowds of 15,000 regularly at AAMI, starting next season.

I don't think you get what we're saying. I'm glad you care about the finals. If we are in the Grand Final I'll sing as loud as anyone but there are people here, including myself, that rate the Premiers Plate more than anything. It is the way the rest of the world judges the best team in the country after all.

I don't think you get what we're saying. I'm glad you care about the finals. If we are in the Grand Final I'll sing as loud as anyone but there are people here, including myself, that rate the Premiers Plate more than anything. It is the way the rest of the world judges the best team in the country after all.

I get what you are saying, I just don't agree with it, finishing top is in no way on par with winning the grand final. That is the ultimate prize and really the only meaningful trophy to win.

I get what you are saying, I just don't agree with it, finishing top is in no way on par with winning the grand final. That is the ultimate prize and really the only meaningful trophy to win.
Gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.

I'd prefer to win the GF rather than finish top, but I want us to finish top so we have guaranteed ACL football.

Perth will be a massive challenge.
Have we ever beaten them there?
In great form, but so are we.
Mooy, Wilko back.
A win there- nearly as good as Cats beating Hawks today.
Hah was about to say it gave me something to smile about after yesterday.

Hah was about to say it gave me something to smile about after yesterday.
You will have plenty to smile about.
Hawks will be the team to beat when it counts.
And MC is looking the real deal.

I'd prefer to win the GF rather than finish top, but I want us to finish top so we have guaranteed ACL football.
Nope, i'd rather us finish on top. Says we're the best side all year. The finals system is a joke, we shouldn't even have a finals system, but it is Australia after all.

If we don't win our next two games here then we don't deserve to win a Grand Final.

Nope, i'd rather us finish on top. Says we're the best side all year. The finals system is a joke, we shouldn't even have a finals system, but it is Australia after all.

If we don't win our next two games here then we don't deserve to win a Grand Final.
Until we implement promotion and relegation I think we have to keep the finals series. It means that they're will be fewer dead rubbers later in the season and still gives teams something to play for if there is a runaway leader. If we were 20 points clear on top and there's no threat of relegation to teh bottom teams then the second half of the season would be pretty boring with no finals spots for which to play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder 20 odd weeks ago how many of us would have thought we'd be debating whether we'd rather finish top or win the GF at this point.
I'm really happy that we have this amazing trio of lethal weapons in Mooy, Bruno, and Harry.
We must be the envy of the A-League now, and no team would want to play us in Melbourne.
Also our defence now has the luxury of trying to squeeze in Chapman, Hughes, Wilkinson and Kisnorbo. Poor Clisby seems like a forgotten soldier.
Franjic is massive for us, and Malik has been a revelation.
Garuccio is improving and has upside.
I am a big fan of Melling, and he struggles for game time with Fitzgerald playing so well.
And then there's Zullo- don't think we have seen his best , but maybe that is asking a lot given all his injuries.
Caceres is a goer too. We are a very talented team with the best keeper in town.
Who would have thought...
I've always rated JVS.
Now for Keogh and GLORY.

After watching the Socceroos game last night, you would have to think this will be Mooy's last season. I love watching him play for us, but I just think he could become anything. Will be very interesting to see what happens at the end of the season - I mean he was clearly a class above in that match and we had a number of European players in the side.

Anyway, all the more reason to savour the remaining matches of this season.

After watching the Socceroos game last night, you would have to think this will be Mooy's last season. I love watching him play for us, but I just think he could become anything. Will be very interesting to see what happens at the end of the season - I mean he was clearly a class above in that match and we had a number of European players in the side.

You think we'll be able to squeeze him back in for Perth this week then?

Was thinking the exact same thing. 3-5 games left
to watch him. Only chance we have is that city group pay him a fortune to be our marquee.

Was thinking the exact same thing. 3-5 games left
to watch him. Only chance we have is that city group pay him a fortune to be our marquee.
FWIW I hope he goes overseas. He deserves to play in Europe.

FWIW I hope he goes overseas. He deserves to play in Europe.
I agree. Still think he could improve his game and become the best player we've produced, but don't see him doing that in the A League unfortunately as much as it has improved.

Just finished watching the Southend Vs Sheffield in League One in England Football and one player stood out for mine. This guy goes by the name of Jack Payne, plays for Southend, managed to bag MOTM, but jeez he looks like a solid player.

The commentary team were banging on about him for a good three minutes post-match, he's that good. He's a midfielder, short lad, but looks like a decent replacement for Aaron Mooy if he leaves. Scored the goal that sealed it for Southend and kept their League One playoff hopes alive.

He's a splitting image IMO of Aaron Mooy. If i can find highlights of this match i'll pass it through here. He's also out of contract at end of season and looking for a new Club by the looks of it.

Why do they have to be high profile? No one knew who Fornaroli or Novillo were before the landed here.

Because that's what the club will do, they need a big marquee to bring the fans in, Bruno hasn't re-signed yet but will likely be a marquee, with Mooy being our current marquee they'll replace him with someone of similar standing or higher, the current plan is for Caceras to be the Mooy replacement.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Melbourne City Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back