The Merger Match

Remove this Banner Ad

Sundog

Team Captain
Sep 9, 2003
Junction Oval.
Other Teams
University
I look forward to these matches every year, and I try to never miss a Melb-Haw match. As a supporter of the game and not of either club I become quite passionate over these matches.....
....and I passionately support Hawthorn in each one.

These matches represent the time that the supporters of a proud clubwillingly voted for their own extinction. They looked at their future and decided that their team as it was had no part in that future. They were willing to send their team to the scrapheap and support a disgusting hybrid with no history and no soul.
They supported the merge. They voted for it. And finally they faced a team that decided to do the hard yards whatever the cost and fight for their own existence.
That's why for one game at least a year I passionately support the Hawks - for having the guts, the courage and the PASSION to remain the Hawthorn Football Club.

Both teams now are moderately successful, whether on or off the field. both have many members and money in the bank - and good on them!
But I'll always support Hawthorn in this match and I'll be there on Saturday to remind some Melb supporters that they just didn't have the guts to fight.

As an aside, I went to Dallas Brooks Hall that night. I bought a membership especially, just to get in and vote. I was there and I saw what the vote was and I remember how bad I felt about our game that supporters would actually want this.

Melbourne voted for their own extinction and it was Hawthorn's refusal to comply that saved Melbourne - perhaps they should add a 'thank-you' to their banner on Saturday. :rolleyes:

Lack of Facts Board.

melbourne voted for a Takeover. As in, we would consume Hawthorn, take thier members, facilties, players, and stuill be known as the MFC.

Major difference. it was going to be a Brisbane/Fitzroy deal, i.e. we exist, Hawthorn wouldn't.

But I'm still grateful that the Hawks members voted against it. I wouldn't want any association with Hawthorn.

Sundog said:
I look forward to these matches every year, and I try to never miss a Melb-Haw match. As a supporter of the game and not of either club I become quite passionate over these matches.....

These matches represent the time that the supporters of a proud clubwillingly voted for their own extinction. They looked at their future and decided that their team as it was had no part in that future. They were willing to send their team to the scrapheap and support a disgusting hybrid with no history and no soul.
They supported the merge. They voted for it. And finally they faced a team that decided to do the hard yards whatever the cost and fight for their own existence.
That's why for one game at least a year I passionately support the Hawks - for having the guts, the courage and the PASSION to remain the Hawthorn Football Club.

Both teams now are moderately successful, whether on or off the field. both have many members and money in the bank - and good on them!
But I'll always support Hawthorn in this match and I'll be there on Saturday to remind some Melb supporters that they just didn't have the guts to fight.

As an aside, I went to Dallas Brooks Hall that night. I bought a membership especially, just to get in and vote. I was there and I saw what the vote was and I remember how bad I felt about our game that supporters would actually want this.

Melbourne voted for their own extinction and it was Hawthorn's refusal to comply that saved Melbourne - perhaps they should add a 'thank-you' to their banner on Saturday. :rolleyes:

Best. Post. Ever.

rick James said:
Lack of Facts Board.

melbourne voted for a Takeover. As in, we would consume Hawthorn, take thier members, facilties, players, and stuill be known as the MFC.

Major difference. it was going to be a Brisbane/Fitzroy deal, i.e. we exist, Hawthorn wouldn't.

But I'm still grateful that the Hawks members voted against it. I wouldn't want any association with Hawthorn.
So changing to the Melbourne hawks wouldn't have been a merger? Fact is we wanted to say the hawthorn hawks, you wanted 'us' to be the melbourne hawks. Its over now, and glad it is, cause both clubs are doing alright, financially hawthorn is anyway, and melbourne on field. Looking forward to this game. We might be a small chance without Netiz and Miller playing

cschreuder61 said:
So changing to the Melbourne hawks wouldn't have been a merger? Fact is we wanted to say the hawthorn hawks, you wanted 'us' to be the melbourne hawks. Its over now, and glad it is, cause both clubs are doing alright, financially hawthorn is anyway, and melbourne on field. Looking forward to this game. We might be a small chance without Netiz and Miller playing

I reckon your a good chance mate.

Financially we're both alive thanks to the AFL, melbourne is good on the field. Hawthorn can only go up from here. just hope it's a decent game to be honest, after our last two wins I want to see the Melbourne of the first three rounds make a return.

Sundog said:
These matches represent the time that the supporters of a proud clubwillingly voted for their own extinction.
I wouldn't say consuming Hawthorn (as said before) would be known as extinction. I'd say that would be a merger. The club would continue to exist. The meaning of extinct is:
"ex·tinct
adj.

1. No longer existing or living: an extinct species. "

The Melbourne Football Club would continue to exist/live if a merger was decided upon by both sides.

Sundog said:
As an aside, I went to Dallas Brooks Hall that night. I bought a membership especially, just to get in and vote.
Sundog said:
I'll be there on Saturday to remind some Melb supporters that they just didn't have the guts to fight.
Wow, aren't you desperate? People like you with no life make me laugh. :D

Go Dees

Btw, have a good weekend, sundog - that is, if you have any friends to do anything other than watch other teams play.

rick James said:
I reckon your a good chance mate.

Financially we're both alive thanks to the AFL, melbourne is good on the field. Hawthorn can only go up from here. just hope it's a decent game to be honest, after our last two wins I want to see the Melbourne of the first three rounds make a return.
I can see another 'honourable loss' coming up for the hawks.... gee its frustrating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why bother bringing this up again?
It was a failed takeover bid.
Scott was right, it was only ever going to be a velcro Hawk.

Sundog said:

Great Post.

Go the Hawkers :cool:

Sundog said:

Thankyou for re-intensifying my hatred of the pro-merger scum.

Go hawks!

Sundog said:

What a load of crap, and this paragraph proves it. Club rules were that you weren't able to buy a membership at the last minute just to vote, you had to have had it during the season.
You're exposed as the trolling ********er you really are, and bull******** you don't barrack for either club, only hawks fans are obsessed with bringing this up at any opportunity they get.

As an aside ( :rolleyes: ) if you really were there that night then you would have witnessed the huge queue of Melbourne fans outside who were unable to get into the venue because it was full, and almost all were anti-merger voters going on from their response when hearing the outcome of the vote. Or you would have witnessed the abuse and pure hatred that club champions such as Tiger Ridley, Sean White and Stephen Newport received from the crowd in the hall when trying to outline their opinions and reasons for the merger. If you really were that interested in what happened to the MFC that you went to all of the trouble that you claimed to have done then you would have realised that the Dixon/Gutnick group threatened legal action over alleged improper use of the proxy votes, and the fact that they only stopped their legal actions when the outcome of the Hawthorn vote was discovered and Tiger made the decision to resign and let Gutnick take control of the club.

There has been alot of bullsh$t posted on this website about the merger by obsessed Hawthorn supporters but in reality if the hawks had of voted yes there is no way that the majority of Melbourne fans lead by the Dixon/Gutnick group would have let it happen, but you would only know that if you really were that interested in what happend with the MFC at that time, and it's pretty f#cking obvious that sundog does not fall into that category.

Sundog said:

never let facts get in teh way of a good story

Melbourne Demons Football Club - the only football club to vote themselves out of existence.

Established in 1897.
Saved by the Hawthorn members in 1996.

They must be eternally grateful to us, and privately live with the shame of voting themselves into oblivion.

Hawthorn members have a right to hate Melbourne - we tried to vote them out of existance.
Yes, we voted pro merger,but how that is out of existance is I don't understand!
Velcro Hawk - thats all it was ever going to be.

superstar said:
Melbourne Demons Football Club - the only football club to vote themselves out of existence.

Established in 1897.
Saved by the Hawthorn members in 1996.

They must be eternally grateful to us, and privately live with the shame of voting themselves into oblivion.

Greatful ??? we never voted ourselves out of existence
we needed a training ground you needed $$$ and The Afl was given US how many mill to take over the hawks. What about Crown $$$$ for the 5 year deal.

you still had to sell your socal club and lease it back , your President ( and mates) keeps putting cash in just before your books are done to show make believe profits. How many years has he done this for ?? Better get Don back to find out. Sure we have lost $$ too.

On the night it was a given that hawks would be pro merger(takeover) and that melbourne was having trouble getting it over the line as history shows more melbourne people had faith in Ridley. And believed what he said. The only reason was Don Scott ( that jumper with the hawk ripped off did the trick ) that we never became the Melbourne Hawks well Demons

and as for this week I think the hawks have pretty good chance they have some pretty good kids and we are without Neita and Miller.
Mind you they do seem to link back to melbourne abit Coach and others. Couldnt get the merger so will start to make a copy ??

Remove this Banner Ad

The Merger Match

Remove this Banner Ad

Back