The Merger Match

Remove this Banner Ad

CyberKev said:
Historical revisionism is clearly alive and well...

How so? We voted to take you over, whether we're a fuschia, the redlegs, a demon or a hawk we're stil the MFC. in either scenario.

rick James said:
yeah that massive payout for waverly didn't assist at all.
Didn't help St Kilda over the years. They were getting just as much as us and weren't turning over the profits.

Keep trying, though. Maybe some more Don Scott BS propaganda can surface. Meanwhile, we'll just take a moment to roll around in our money. Aahhh...

superstar said:
Didn't help St Kilda over the years. They were getting just as much as us and weren't turning over the profits.

Keep trying, though. Maybe some more Don Scott BS propaganda can surface. Meanwhile, we'll just take a moment to roll around in our money. Aahhh...
St. Kilda have been turning over almost as much profits as Hawthorn for the last few years - AND they are going to win the Premiership - not the spoon.

I love this game every year, just to hear Hawthorn supporters complain about Melbourne supporters voting for a merger and how it wasn't a takeover. This despite the fact that the man that led the charge against the merger from Hawthorn's side himself said that it was a takeover.

Always makes me laugh.

Don Scott and the Hawthorn members saved Hawthorn from going out of existance, because a "merger" with Melbourne would have been the end of the Hawthorn Football Club. The fact that the Hawthorn board took that to the members - the concept of ending their club - is perhaps the most embarassing fact of all.

I say good on the Hawthorn supporters and Don Scott for rejecting the merger, it's good to see two proud clubs continuing on and improving.

rick James said:
yeah that massive payout for waverly didn't assist at all.
Hypocrite.
You accuse Hawthorn supporters of twisting the facts, yet do it yourself.
If you break a contract, you pay it out. That's what the AFL did. What would you expect if the AFL forced Melbourne to play all their future home-games away from the 'G?

Thought so.

Hornet said:
Melbourne Demons
Melbourne Hawks

Takeover :confused: :D

we've been a number of different names and mascots over the years... hawks owuld just be one of many... but still the Melbourne football Cub pty ltd

yes, takeover, you intellectual pygmy

superstar said:
Melbourne Demons Football Club - the only football club
Established in 1897.

er... try 1857 ...

anyway must be off, enjoy trying to get yourselves excited by concocting a load of ********e. Unfortunately for you your interstate audience has been broken into two camps ....

Those who have been watching the whole beat up unfold and now understand what really happened and the real history of our clubs ... the majority

and the idiots who if they had a brain it would be lonely and still believe the first thing that they hear if they can get a bit of anti Victorian sentiment out on a club that they think might present an easy target. Melbournefc no more.

The sort of historical (and hysterical) revisionism that you and your silly mates have been trying to make the ignorant believe is pathetic ....

Jeff Kennett for president for you blokes? .. go you

oh and apologies to all thinking Hawks fans ... next

Ramma said:
Hypocrite.
You accuse Hawthorn supporters of twisting the facts, yet do it yourself.
If you break a contract, you pay it out. That's what the AFL did. What would you expect if the AFL forced Melbourne to play all their future home-games away from the 'G?

Thought so.

As a matter of fact when the VFL forced us to share our home ground, and essentially broke contract. no cash though mate, no cash.

Merger, takeover, whatever you wish to call it. The fact remains Melbourne supporters are the only group to have ever willingly voted to dilute the history of their own club.

And the reasons for voting for the merger/takeover were pathetic. Not enough on-field success...boo hoo. It's called smart recruiting, and you didn't need the quick fix of a merger to do that. As it happened most of the players you were planning to take from Hawthorn were past their best anyway.

Melbourne supporters weren't prepared to go through the hard yards required to build a premiership side, so they decided to dilute their club's history forever in an attempt to buy one.

rick James said:
As a matter of fact when the VFL forced us to share our home ground, and essentially broke contract. no cash though mate, no cash.

yes obviously some Hawthorn hystericals who try to paint themselves as a noble club making it on their own don't realise that Melbourne lost its home ground the moment that Richmond squatted there in the 60s. We have never received any cash at all when Richmond and all the others (including Hawthorn!!) have arrived to squat either.

No cash there .. but as one other poster (whom I congratulate being a supporter of the Magpies) said, don't let the truth come in the way of a good beat (up) ...

GOALden Hawk said:
Merger, takeover, whatever you wish to call it. The fact remains Melbourne supporters are the only group to have ever willingly voted to dilute the history of their own club.

And the reasons for voting for the merger/takeover were pathetic. Not enough on-field success...boo hoo. It's called smart recruiting, and you didn't need the quick fix of a merger to do that. As it happened most of the players you were planning to take from Hawthorn were past their best anyway.

Melbourne supporters weren't prepared to go through the hard yards required to build a premiership side, so they decided to dilute their club's history forever in an attempt to buy one.

why are you so worried? No need to get yourself all worked up. We all look forward to meeting on the real field of play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

64-again said:
yes obviously some Hawthorn hystericals who try to paint themselves as a noble club making it on their own don't realise that Melbourne lost its home ground the moment that Richmond squatted there in the 60s. We have never received any cash at all when Richmond and all the others (including Hawthorn!!) have arrived to squat either.

No cash there .. but as one other posters (who is a supporter of the Maggies) said, don't let the truth come in the way of a good beat up ... knock yourselves out ....

Lost its home ground? Last time I checked you are still playing home games there.

And besides, the MCC, not MFC own the G. Although most of your supporters seem to consider them one and the same.

Amazing that they wanted a merger because melbourne had the money and hawthorn hd the players.

Now its the other way round

Another 10 years and it could be reversed.

Can't respect MFC enough to hate them though. the treatment of gutnick and a financial mess with an accountant as president says it all.

64-again said:
why are you so worried? No need to get yourself all worked up. We all look forward to meeting on the real field of play.

Not worked up at all. Just enjoy the banter that this game involves every year. In fact, I don't mind Melbourne that much, but it's always good to build up a rivalry.

GOALden Hawk said:

Well put.

Try as they may to revise history, those are the facts.

You know whats amazingly pathetic? That you lot are still whinging about it 9 years down the track. "We saved you.... and so on and so forth". Get over yourselves. Pitty that out clu has had more on-feild sucsess then yours since.
I for one was too young to vote at the time.. and i think I speak for a lot of people when i say

GET OVER IT!

superstar said:
Melbourne Demons Football Club - the only football club to vote themselves out of existence.

Established in 1897.
Saved by the Hawthorn members in 1996.

They must be eternally grateful to us, and privately live with the shame of voting themselves into oblivion.

I never voted for it

Arent generalisations wonderful

Fair go Superstar

Imagine if they did merge what a strong team it would have been!

Dunstall, Neitz, Platten, Crawford, Salmon, Yze, Holland, Lyon, Schwarz, Stynz, harford.

rick James said:
we've been a number of different names and mascots over the years... hawks owuld just be one of many... but still the Melbourne football Cub pty ltd

yes, takeover, you intellectual pygmy
I think you will find that the Melbourne Hawks would not be a continuance of the Melbourne Football Club. It would be a completely newly registered company. Just because the name Melbourne is used because it happens to be a more recognisable name being the capital city of Victoria and all, does not mean that Melbourne were consuming Hawthorn.

That's a fanciful argument.

I have asked for a link or the exact wording of what the Dees fans voted for when you claimed this before. It was not forthcoming.

Tell me this ... if they became the Melbourne Hawks, with 80% of Hawthorn players, 80% of Hawthorn's admin, would the Melbourne part of the name still convince you that the Melbourne FC had taken over Hawthorn? What's in a name?

Sundog said:
I look forward to these matches every year, and I try to never miss a Melb-Haw match. As a supporter of the game and not of either club I become quite passionate over these matches.....
....and I passionately support Hawthorn in each one.

These matches represent the time that the supporters of a proud clubwillingly voted for their own extinction. They looked at their future and decided that their team as it was had no part in that future. They were willing to send their team to the scrapheap and support a disgusting hybrid with no history and no soul.
They supported the merge. They voted for it. And finally they faced a team that decided to do the hard yards whatever the cost and fight for their own existence.
That's why for one game at least a year I passionately support the Hawks - for having the guts, the courage and the PASSION to remain the Hawthorn Football Club.

Both teams now are moderately successful, whether on or off the field. both have many members and money in the bank - and good on them!
But I'll always support Hawthorn in this match and I'll be there on Saturday to remind some Melb supporters that they just didn't have the guts to fight.

As an aside, I went to Dallas Brooks Hall that night. I bought a membership especially, just to get in and vote. I was there and I saw what the vote was and I remember how bad I felt about our game that supporters would actually want this.

Melbourne voted for their own extinction and it was Hawthorn's refusal to comply that saved Melbourne - perhaps they should add a 'thank-you' to their banner on Saturday. :rolleyes:

Get over it Mate!

It didn't happen
Its time to move on

Good luck to both clubs is all I say.

Melbourne have now changed the voting procedure in relation to possible mergers if one was ever to be considered again. (IT WON'T)

The Dee's now require a 75% yes vote from their membership in order to pass
such an event. (This plainly Wouldn't & Couldn't Happen)

So now that you have been been brought up to speed with the Dee's new "merger proof" articles of association you might now think about taking your rather poor & predicable Trolling efforts somewhere else.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Merger Match

Remove this Banner Ad

Back