Summer The next Olympic sports

Remove this Banner Ad

In the aftermath of breaking making its debut at Paris 2024, there has some talk on this board about other sports that should be looked at for inclusion in future Olympics.

Surfing, skateboarding and sport climbing all made their debut at the Tokyo Olympics in 2021, whilst in Paris we saw breaking and kayak cross for the first time.

In LA 2028 we'll see flag football and squash, whilst baseball, softball, lacrosse and cricket will return to the Olympic program. Breaking is out, and boxing faces an uncertain future at the level.

So let's look at 2032 and beyond - which sports would you like to see added to the Olympic program, and why?

Netball needs Olympics as comm games future murky and be more competitive then women's basketball . MMA be popular if you can work out how to do it be great if UFC stars compete.
You would imagine Queensland will want rugby league 9s we seen 3x3 basketball so can see it in even of rugby 7 are there too, much better to watch rugby as much faster ruck.
Mixed Fresstyle relay in swimming (if that was in Olympics instead of mixed medley relay we beat yanks in swimming)
Lawn Bowls and Pool be nice but doubt it

Netball needs Olympics as comm games future murky and be more competitive then women's basketball . MMA be popular if you can work out how to do it be great if UFC stars compete.
You would imagine Queensland will want rugby league 9s we seen 3x3 basketball so can see it in even of rugby 7 are there too, much better to watch rugby as much faster ruck.
Mixed Fresstyle relay in swimming (if that was in Olympics instead of mixed medley relay we beat yanks in swimming)
Lawn Bowls and Pool be nice but doubt it
Basketball is a much bigger global sport than Rugby, and 3x3 is a bigger deviation than 7s and 9s.

I get why Rugby League are pushing for it, but having both 7s and 9s is redundant.

Basketball is a much bigger global sport than Rugby, and 3x3 is a bigger deviation than 7s and 9s.

I get why Rugby League are pushing for it, but having both 7s and 9s is redundant.
Rugby league 9s and Rugby 7s are based of two different sports while 3x3 is based of basketball . Different scoring,length of match, players on field, way game is played from ruck to scrums.
With LA adding flag football lacrosse and baseball back in its clear host city has power to add sport of their choice, and be hard not to imagine Queensland wanting RL in. Also be great way to inflate medal tally.

Lawn Bowls would be cool.

Surely South East Queensland is the mecca of outdoor Lawn Bowls.
Bowls ticks the inclusive box that the IOC wants

Men's events
Ladies events
Mixed format

And SEQ has the best bowls facilities in the universe

Only problem is the Brits would absolutely slaughter us with a combined team

I'm looking forward to seeing lacrosse in LA. That feels like a sport that would do well at the Olympics.

Bowls is a great choice for a new sport.

Kabaddi is a sport I think could be quite popular.

It has to be surf life saving, what is more south east Queensland than that.

On another note I wouldn't mind them adding an ultra triathlon, that would really be something else for just the pure endurance of some of those athletes, 4km swim, 180km Bike, and a 42km run.

personally Count these out
MMA. Nope. Recovery would be a huge issue.
Rugby League 9's. Way too similar to Rugby 7's.
Netball. No men's comp. the IOC want equality...

we get to pick 5 sports from a list of non-core sports. I think these will carry from LA
Cricket (well..this is obvious)
Baseball/Softball (we aren't bad at this, + (US) TV stations will be happy.)
Squash (Very popular in Aus and deserves it)

Then
Bowling....(We are good at it, Could/should be Lawn Bowls but they may not have IOC approval)
Surf lifesaving (Be the Breaking and Flag Football of Brisbane. Only in because of location. they are a recognised federation of the IOC) with world champs. Easy to set up on the GC)

personally Count these out
MMA. Nope. Recovery would be a huge issue.
Rugby League 9's. Way too similar to Rugby 7's.
Netball. No men's comp. the IOC want equality...

we get to pick 5 sports from a list of non-core sports. I think these will carry from LA
Cricket (well..this is obvious)
Baseball/Softball (we aren't bad at this, + (US) TV stations will be happy.)
Squash (Very popular in Aus and deserves it)

Then
Bowling....(We are good at it, Could/should be Lawn Bowls but they may not have IOC approval)
Surf lifesaving (Be the Breaking and Flag Football of Brisbane. Only in because of location. they are a recognised federation of the IOC) with world champs. Easy to set up on the GC)
Basketball and 3x3 basketball, judo taekwondo similar as well. If rugby league 9s doesn't get it probably if Brisbane don't want it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are a number of sports and events that are open to one gender only.

It’d be an interesting call to decline netball on that basis alone, I reckon.
Not really anymore. I can't think of any on the top of my head.

Paris was the first time they had true equality of both sexes, according to the aoc

Basketball and 3x3 basketball, judo taekwondo similar as well. If rugby league 9s doesn't get it probably if Brisbane don't want it.
Try and explain to an American the difference between rugby league and rugby union..

Thing is, Rugby sevens is the 3x3 of the basketball world. Rugby league 9's would be the 4x4 of the rugby's.

BobbyMorri

That's not to say they're not moving away from single gender sports or events. There may have been a minor shift in recent years with some sports in the direction of gender inclusivity.

Racewalking 50km has been taken out of the program (men only) and replaced by a mixed relay.
1500m freestyle for women was introduced in 2021.

Not sure when freestyle wrestling was introduced for women but long after the wrestling program for men.

They may continue to move down that path but I think it'll be via making smaller moves like the above rather than by completely dismissing a sport completely, especially one as popular as netball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Summer The next Olympic sports

Remove this Banner Ad

Back