Oppo Camp The Non-North Footy Discussion & Matchday Chat Thread V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And yet again, handbaggers lose after a bye, very consistent in that, seems like both the Scott brothers love a late change too, do not rate Blicavs as a ruckman, so not sure that worked for them either, Nic Nat won't be losing any sleep I reckon.
Blicavs is a shit house ruck. Chris is as dumb as his brother. Just inherited a better side and has an unfair homeground advantage to set up finals flops.

Like or hate Geelong, it is laughable that any club that plays well enough to finish top 2 plays their first final at the opposition home ground.

Why is ground capacity/potential attendance so sacrosanct in our AFL culture that it's allowed to undermine the fairness of the competition? The AFL should forgo the revenue and people can watch it on TV - too bad. This type of garbage just doesn't happen in other major competitions around the world.

If the AFL thinks Geelong's ground shape is a problem - which it is - then they should've told them to change it when they built their new stand. But they can't now say you can't play a home final there because of attendnce and ground shape.

If we finished top two and had to play Collingwood at the MCG most of us would spew up and shart.

The AFL will never be fair until everyone plays each other twice. To be honest if we finished 1st or 2nd I'd expect to play at the MCG and it wouldn't feel unfair.

Dangerfield is a bit entitled. Can also play a bit (a lot). Played through the pain barrier as well. Kicking stops him being an A+ player imo.

Hawkin may have kicked 0.4 and dropped a mark in the goal square but you have to look at what he doesn't do with the ball to truly appreciate his genius. Or maybe it's with the ball. Anyway let's hear it for AA Tom. Hip hip hip hooray.

Geelong is an hours drive down the highway, they have a clean state funded stadium and they don't say boo when they play their return games against Hawthorn. They pick and choose when they're a 'regional team'.

Im sorry, but they get more than enough. They can GAGF as far as im concerned.

Geelong is an hours drive down the highway, they have a clean state funded stadium and they don't say boo when they play their return games against Hawthorn. They pick and choose when they're a 'regional team'.

Im sorry, but they get more than enough. They can GAGF as far as im concerned.

Hear hear

Like or hate Geelong, it is laughable that any club that plays well enough to finish top 2 plays their first final at the opposition home ground.

Why is ground capacity/potential attendance so sacrosanct in our AFL culture that it's allowed to undermine the fairness of the competition? The AFL should forgo the revenue and people can watch it on TV - too bad. This type of garbage just doesn't happen in other major competitions around the world.

If the AFL thinks Geelong's ground shape is a problem - which it is - then they should've told them to change it when they built their new stand. But they can't now say you can't play a home final there because of attendnce and ground shape.

If we finished top two and had to play Collingwood at the MCG most of us would spew up and shart.

Yep. I have no love for Geelong but it’s utter BS. Wouldn’t happen in any other sport in the world.

Gerlong had the chance to make the Ground a full size AFL ground when they built the Eastern Stand

No one had the fortitude to close the thoroughfare behind that Stand which ended up 2 metres from the Street

Had that have happened and the $$ been put it in then many of their problems could have been solved

Not all is lost should they decide to reshape the Western side and push back into the Park

Likely to happen considering the Pork barrelling of the past 20 years

It's also laughable that only a specific bunch of clubs have to ever play that team in Geelong. It's laughable that they have the largest taxpayer funded gift in the state because they've been a marginal seat for a couple of decades. It's laughable that there is zero fixturing equity and it is laughable that we have to play games in another state to ensure that in a 18 team competition certain Melbourne teams play each other twice as many times as others over a two decade period.

We can't even choose our home ground, let alone our finals home ground - that's laughable.

Geelong were part of the AFL at the time that the long term deals were struck with the MCC and Docklands.

We'd be watching finals at the G with a cricket pitch if that weren't the case.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I watched it. Wasn't too bad a game. I did switch over occasionally to check AFL score too I must admit. Even watched a bit of test cricket from 20 years ago as well.
I watched a bit of that too. It was a good reminder of how Shane Warne miraculously transformed from fat a bogan who made to poor life choices to a genius the moment he had a cricket ball in his hand.

It's also laughable that only a specific bunch of clubs have to ever play that team in Geelong. It's laughable that they have the largest taxpayer funded gift in the state because they've been a marginal seat for a couple of decades. It's laughable that there is zero fixturing equity and it is laughable that we have to play games in another state to ensure that in a 18 team competition certain Melbourne teams play each other twice as many times as others over a two decade period.

We can't even choose our home ground, let alone our finals home ground - that's laughable.

The crying over poor Geelong on here is nauseating

The AFL will never be fair until everyone plays each other twice. To be honest if we finished 1st or 2nd I'd expect to play at the MCG and it wouldn't feel unfair.

Dangerfield is a bit entitled. Can also play a bit (a lot). Played through the pain barrier as well. Kicking stops him being an A+ player imo.

Hawkin may have kicked 0.4 and dropped a mark in the goal square but you have to look at what he doesn't do with the ball to truly appreciate his genius. Or maybe it's with the ball. Anyway let's hear it for AA Tom. Hip hip hip hooray.
Dropped a mark in the goal square? I guess the umps didn't pay this one?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

The crying over poor Geelong on here is nauseating
Nobody is crying Gaso.

People can recognise the joke that is around home ground advantage, (and the right to have that advantage at finals time if you have earned it) in a genuine competition whilst at the same time enjoying The Handbaggers copping it up the **** from the AFL for a change.

I know I am.

Nobody is crying Gaso.

People can recognise the joke that is around home ground advantage, (and the right to have that advantage at finals time if you have earned it) in a genuine competition whilst at the same time enjoying The Handbaggers copping it up the **** from the AFL for a change.

I know I am.
It's not a joke. Prior to ground rationalisation in the 80s and 90s, teams had to play the MCG's "home" teams, Melbourne and Richmond, in finals at the 'G regardless of ladder position. This went on for literally decades and nobody whined about it.

Coming to the 'G in September and getting the job done is just part of the premiership equation. If you're good enough, it's not a problem. The Handbaggers simply aren't good enough and are using it as a smokescreen.

It's not a joke. Prior to ground rationalisation in the 80s and 90s, teams had to play the MCG's "home" teams, Melbourne and Richmond, in finals at the 'G regardless of ladder position. This went on for literally decades and nobody whined about it.

Coming to the 'G in September and getting the job done is just part of the premiership equation. If you're good enough, it's not a problem. The Handbaggers simply aren't good enough and are using it as a smokescreen.
Good point. I think it’s been thrown into relief now because other clubs - and especially GWS - get the home final regardless of ground size or anything else.

Yeah I get all that.

I guess the Geelong situation just highlights for me how flawed the current competition is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back