the_champ_2004

All Australian
Oct 11, 2004
Here ther and Everywhere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chelsea
Just saw a post in the Essendon board with the same title and wondered the same thing for Collingwood. If all this about Buckley retiring is true then who should don the number 5 next year. Do we give it to a youngster who has shown promise i.e. Goldsack or Clarke. or do we give it to a Trav Cloke. We can't give it to Pendlebury because then he will have worn a different number in each of his three seasons. I imagine if we give it to Thomas there will be an uproar from the 50,000 people that have his number on their backs. Or do we retire the great number only to follow other clubs and bring it back 5 or 10 years later?

Tell Buckley he has to give it to someone on the list currently and let him decide.

this is the best option - imagine the pressure on the kid who gets it though

you can't retire the number for a few years and then bring it back because the pressure will just build every year until the next kid gets it

I agree with Jabso, let Buckley decide.
It should be someone, who works their ass off and puts their all in at the games and at training

Marty!! :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I don't think it should be given to a current established player as I don't see the point. For instance, let Martin turn number No.43 into his own cult following number.

Give the No.5 down the track to a new special player that will also make his mark and bleed Black and White like Bucks did. :thumbsu:

Wasn't there also talk about having the captain wear the No.1? I think Eddie was talking about it though of course that means Leon's number will have to change. Anyone got any news on this? Only heard briefly ages back ... like last year sometime.

Wasn't there also talk about having the captain wear the No.1? I think Eddie was talking about it though of course that means Leon's number will have to change. Anyone got any news on this? Only heard briefly ages back ... like last year sometime.

eddie wanted to bring back the old tradition of that but its hard to do and seems to have died in the arse since. Like neither leon or buck wanted to change their numbers at the time

sorry to hear about bucks, i have a lot of respect for him. Id say retire his number for next year, then see what comes about i suppose. but 1 year is the minimum his number shouldbe retired.. he deserves it.

Give it to marty or swan, or like my post on the number 1 jumper and captain, give it t our next captain (looking your way maxwell)

give it to marty, he will appreciate it more. he has just come over and is adapting to the rules, to have nathan buckley help teach him the game would be an inspiration, so why not give him the number his leader wore

I reckon give it to Thomas but his #13 has probably become too popular because of his cult figure status.

Clarke would seem as the obvious option as may Shawry but someone suggested Clokey.

I lke the idea of giving it to Cloke- he is already one of the best young forwards in the game and will become a star as one of the best CHF's in the league and probably at Collingwod. Clokey gets my vote.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Number 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back