The off topic thread 6.0

Remove this Banner Ad

They aren't paying for it.

They get all the benefits of having mega rich donors pushing them though.

Why do you think most if not all Presidential candidates have an incredible store of personal wealth?

They put a huge amount of funding in themselves.

Appreciate the kind words mate. I guess when so many people have disgraced themselves with insipid and gross remarks after the assassination attempt and have shown little regard for human life, I’ve found it difficult giving people the benefit of the doubt in this thread. Didn’t help when bok aligned himself with people who have proven track records of being absolute vile campaigners. If you’re vouching for bok then I’ll happily retract what I’ve said previously about him and own up to judging him too harshly. It speaks volumes that you’ve singled him and only him out to defend in this thread.

Apologies bok_party.

Thanks for your considered response and nice gesture to reflect on that in your post. Especially given the sensitivity of the topic for you. I will add that I don’t believe the other lads had the same intention in their posts as well, I don’t believe they were wanting him dead in a literal sense, it’s a highly emotive topic however whenever politics surfaces.

I very often see it, from my time in the US and in various business/personal relationships I’ve maintained since. Something just clicks when it comes to politics. On both “sides” that is. Something subconscious activates, deeply entrenched and embedded beliefs, that can really cloud the discussion being put forward at the time.

It’s next level in the US in my experience. Generational lines of division, the cognitive dissonance that accompanies these situations. Some of my friends who I consider largely rational people just struggle with certain topics.

For example I have a friend whose been vegan longer than I have, has 3 daughters, one trans child, one married to an African American. However when it came to the topic of police violence towards people of colour, he was adamant against the protests and property damage.

When Trump incited and enabled a riot that led to property destruction and death and blood on Trump’s hands, he said it was a “revolution”.

When primary school shootings happen, he’s one of the first to say we need more teachers with guns, when the shooter tried to take out Trump, he’s saying how the **** did that guy get a assault rifle like that and he had no right being able to get one. I asked him about Trump’s track record of his treatment of women, the issue of reproductive rights for women, “grab them by the pussy” etc, how does he feel about this having daughters himself, how do these issues align with his views, and it’s just blank looks. There’s almost a part of his brain that just disconnects, because of political lines and so on. So many more examples however it’s just indicative of how divided that country is.

And violence is never the answer. If he was assassinated last week, holy shit the fallout would’ve been genuinely frightening. Couldn’t imagine the state of that country if so.

Biden I noticed has a large “anyone but Trump” following. Even they are wavering because of his conduct during the debates, the question marks around his mental condition etc and of course his complicity in genocide in Palestine. Many have wanted him out of the picture to have a fresh, viable candidate against Trump.

It’s a shit show watching on from afar. How Trump is even a candidate given his history, it’s extraordinary that he’s still eligible. Either way, however the election ends up, it’s just appalling the situation they find themselves in.

Spot on. I love how careful they’re trying to be with their language. Rationalising murder but trying to sugarcoat it in an attempt to not come off as total psychopaths. F***ing comedy gold.

Appreciate the kind words mate. I guess when so many people have disgraced themselves with insipid and gross remarks after the assassination attempt and have shown little regard for human life, I’ve found it difficult giving people the benefit of the doubt in this thread. Didn’t help when bok aligned himself with people who have proven track records of being absolute vile campaigners. If you’re vouching for bok then I’ll happily retract what I’ve said previously about him and own up to judging him too harshly. It speaks volumes that you’ve singled him and only him out to defend in this thread.

Apologies bok_party.
Apology appreciated and accepted mate.

Majority of us I believe have good intentions. Forums/internet/social media bring out the worst in people because tone gets lost as I mentioned previously.

I think society is in a precarious situation with more distrust in governments than ever before and people like to talk in absolutes instead of understanding things are far more grey/nuanced than it seems.

Both parties can be considered poor choices but unfortunately, Americans have to pick one side.

I did. And I feel you’ve been harshly misrepresented here. For what it’s worth I would have you my top tier of posters in my time on this forum. In my opinion anyway.

Misher I’m sorry for your loss of your friend and understand full well your comments regarding the grief always being present no matter the duration of time. And can understand if that has perhaps contributed to any misinterpretation of what was being said. I believe the animosity evident in your posts isn’t necessarily reflective of what they were saying. Sorry again for the traumatic events you’ve described here.

I don’t believe either candidate is fit for purpose and can only look on in bewilderment at the state of US politics and the division within that country. Genuinely frightening stuff. The landscape and outlook for them is dire.

Those comments are sickening. Amazing he actually said that, particularly when so much of the weapons provided in this genocide have been exported from the US (amongst other nations).
Greatly appreciated glenferry23. I always consider you to the be the barometer in almost all discussions for how you approach all topics and are probably my favourite poster on here (helps you are a Gooner too!)

Greatly appreciated glenferry23. I always consider you to the be the barometer in almost all discussions for how you approach all topics and are probably my favourite poster on here (helps you are a Gooner too!)

637302.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're the one trying to defend the politicians as not being grifters and in the pockets of rich donors and corporations.

You're the one suggesting they actually make money from a failed Presidential campaign. You reckon someone like Mitt Romney got his wealth from his failed Presidential campaign..?

You're the one suggesting they actually make money from a failed Presidential campaign. You reckon someone like Mitt Romney got his wealth from his failed Presidential campaign..?

You think once he ran for it he didn't gain more political clout and prominence in the political sphere and was then far more attractive to corporation paying lobbyists?

These politicians are all bought in one way or another.

This is the ridiculous logic that keeps the duopoly entrenched.

So no, Americans don't have to pick one side. There are more than two options to choose from.
Yes I understand there are more options but who ends up getting voted in? Either a Democrat or a Republican Party.

And of course, they don’t even need to vote.

Yes I understand there are more options but who ends up getting voted in? Either a Democrat or a Republican Party.

And of course, they don’t even need to vote.

You have to start eroding their power at some point.

We've seen it over here.

Major Parties primary votes are dropping.

How many Teal and Independents do we now have because people decided the duopoly doesn't work for them?

You have to start eroding their power at some point.

We've seen it over here.

Major Parties primary votes are dropping.

How many Teal and Independents do we now have because people decided the duopoly doesn't work for them?
Reckon we'll have less Teals after the next election not more.

Why not? The host of the Apprentice decided he could give it a crack...
He had a fair lead out time and wanted to run the United States. Obama doesn't and so wouldn't. It would be a vote for another puppet.

He had a fair lead out time and wanted to run the United States. Obama doesn't and so wouldn't. It would be a vote for another puppet.

Didn't Obama get quite involved while her husband was President? Not sure she's any less experienced than Trump was.

Remove this Banner Ad

The off topic thread 6.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Back