The off topic thread 6.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes but you're never going to convince people to change their views. You really think Bostonian is all of a sudden going to see your way of thinking? Or you, his? It will not happen.

It's arguing for arguments sake. We then go around and around disagreeing forever. It's utterly pointless.
I'm not trying to get anyone to change their views.

Just be honest about them.

Haha so because you don't know if something is true or not it shouldn't be fact checked.

If Harris told a blatantly obvious lie during the debate she should have been fact checked on it. I don't think she did that, Trump did several times.

If Harris said something not so obvious that was wrong or misleading it should have been fact checked post the debate.

You're presuming that because Trump was fact checked numerous times and Harris was only fact checked a few that there was some sort of bias.

I think its more likely to have to do with the fact that Trump lied, and lied, and lied right through the debate and Harris didn't.

You've come up with one example of a Harris lie, which was actually fact checked and said to be the truth (with a proviso). CNN reported 30+ lies for Trump, 1+ for Harris. It doesn't surprise me so much as watching the debate there was one candidate ranting and foaming and shouting at the moon, and another that wasn't.

And some of Trumps more outrageous lies (eating the dogs, post birth abortion) were so blatantly untrue they warranted an immediate correction. Can't think of one thing Harris said that warranted the same treatment.

Last edited:

Yes but you're never going to convince people to change their views. You really think Bostonian is all of a sudden going to see your way of thinking? Or you, his? It will not happen.

It's arguing for arguments sake. We then go around and around disagreeing forever. It's utterly pointless.
No different than half the Matchday conversations.

Given the events of the past 6 weeks, and given how close we are to one of the most consequential elections in decades it's no surprise that there is a lot of talk.

I've been on BF for over 20 years and it's never been a place where people make a point, get a round of applause and then move on. So there's no surprise there's a lot of back and forth on this issue.

Much like in real life if you're out for a meal or drinks with friends there'll be a lot of back and forth, much of it a bit pointless.

If you don't like the topic of discussion you move to another part of the bar and talk about something else. At some point, here and in real life people will get sick of arguing/discussing and will move on to another topic.

Just wouldn't expect that to happen too much in the next month or two.

Maybe Off Topic is a place to avoid for a bit if you don't like what's being discussed in there.

Given the events of the past 6 weeks, and given how close we are to one of the most consequential elections in decades it's no surprise that there is a lot of talk.

I've been on BF for over 20 years and it's never been a place where people make a point, get a round of applause and then move on. So there's no surprise there's a lot of back and forth on this issue.

Much like in real life if you're out for a meal or drinks with friends there'll be a lot of back and forth, much of it a bit pointless.

If you don't like the topic of discussion you move to another part of the bar and talk about something else. At some point, here and in real life people will get sick of arguing/discussing and will move on to another topic.

Just wouldn't expect that to happen too much in the next month or two.

Maybe Off Topic is a place to avoid for a bit if you don't like what's being discussed in there.
The internet has become a place where people just find hills to die on. I'm as guilty as anyone else. There's no proper discourse most of the time it's just yell at each other til one person stops

Bostonian I'm curious to hear your views on abortion and trans rights, particularly the decision between a child, their parents and a doctor regarding any treatments.

I'm fine with abortion to a certain point.

I don't believe in pretend things, like God and men becoming women.

People can believe what they won't. I don't have to recognise those beliefs.

Glad to hear you support people's rights to identify how they want. Heartening.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So would you be opposed to the government preventing gender reassignment treatment even if agreed by a child, their parents and a doctor?

So would you be opposed to the government preventing gender reassignment treatment even if agreed by a child, their parents and a doctor?
No government interference I read. In that case I take it he has no issues if I want to mutilate the genitals of my first born because it's what I believe.

Very libertarian.

They shouldn't be able to prevent it, but also tax payers shouldn't contribute a cent towards it either.

It's just plastic surgery in the end. Plenty of weirdos already get that done in large numbers.

They shouldn't be able to prevent it, but also tax payers shouldn't contribute a cent towards it either.

It's just plastic surgery in the end. Plenty of weirdos already get that done in large numbers.
So anyone who isn't like you is just a weirdo? Also Libertarians are anti taxes so there won't be any.

So anyone who isn't like you is just a weirdo? Also Libertarians are anti taxes so there won't be any.

Plenty of people who aren't like me aren't weirdos.

Weirdos look weird and do weird shit. Or are you saying that there's not a single person on the planet who isn't weird?

Well when you look at how corrupt POS like Dan Andrews piss our tax payers money away into astronomical debt then yes, opposing giving OUR money to campaigners like that is a good position to hold.

Plenty of people who aren't like me aren't weirdos.

Weirdos look weird and do weird shit. Or are you saying that there's not a single person on the planet who isn't weird?

Well when you look at how corrupt POS like Dan Andrews piss our tax payers money away into astronomical debt then yes, opposing giving OUR money to campaigners like that is a good position to hold.
so having plastic surgery is "weird" but liking a man who thinks Haitian immigrants are eating cats and dogs is normal.

Pissing away tax dollars on education, health and transport. Should be done by capitalists who always have people's interests at their heart. You're right, down with Government, up with capitalists!

so having plastic surgery is "weird" but liking a man who thinks Haitian immigrants are eating cats and dogs is normal.

You're telling that story. Trump makes me laugh. Wouldn't say I have any emotional investment in the guy like you do.

He's rent free in your head. How funny.

Pissing away tax dollars on education, health and transport. Should be done by capitalists who always have people's interests at their heart. You're right, down with Government, up with capitalists!

Well give the dire state of all three of those things, yes, they have utterly pissed it away wastefully.

You're telling that story. Trump makes me laugh. Wouldn't say I have any emotional investment in the guy like you do.

He's rent free in your head. How funny.
No, you don't have any investment in him except not challenging anything he says but the black woman is challenged on anything, even correct statements because you can't stand her.

Well give the dire state of all three of those things, yes, they have utterly pissed it away wastefully.

Yep because private hospitals and schools are so much better, as are all those privately funded rail roads and bridges.

No, you don't have any investment in him except not challenging anything he says but the black woman is challenged on anything, even correct statements because you can't stand her.

Why do I need to challenge him when we have a thread full of white knights doing that?

Being part of circle jerks isn't my thing sorry.

You don't challenge anything Harris says but nobody cries to you over that.

Yep because private hospitals and schools are so much better, as are all those privately funded rail roads and bridges.

Private hospitals are indeed so much better. Shit on public ones. It's why I pay for my own health insurance.

No year long waiting lists, great food.

Can't trust the Government to provide a decent service.

Why do I need to challenge him when we have a thread full of white knights doing that?

Being part of circle jerks isn't my thing sorry.

You don't challenge anything Harris says but nobody cries to you over that.
I mean you don't need to challenge him, but it would make you look less bias. I also haven't challenged either candidate because I'm not American. I just laugh at Trump for being so deranged to think that Haitians are eating cats and dogs.

Private hospitals are indeed so much better. Shit on public ones. It's why I pay for my own health insurance.

No year long waiting lists, great food.

Can't trust the Government to provide a decent service.

This is entirely dependent on what you are going for. Private Hospitals don't do A&E, they also might not treat whatever you need treating so you just end up in the public system anyway. You can pay a lot of money to a bunch of con artists as you say who just take your money and bathe in it.

Remove this Banner Ad

The off topic thread 6.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Back