The Official Bigfooty NBA Week 19 - Post All Star break.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t feel too sorry for them, they have been poorly run and managed for years. Without Lebron they would still be nothing.

If the Lakers weren't the Lakers they'd be bailed out by the league by now.

I've said this repeatedly, so no disagreement from me.

We differ here though.

LeBron's an unbelievable player, but his insistence on inserting himself, and Klutch, into every aspect of the team's operations is unhealthy.

Harden copped grief for insisting on dumping Paul for Westbrook and then cutting and running, and rightly so. LeBron deserves to face the same hard questions.

They had a lot of young talent at one point. They weren't the finished article, it didn't all fit together terribly well, and they weren't well coached. But the talent was still there. They might not have much to show for it beyond the bubble championship in a couple of years. Maybe that's worth it, but if I were a Lakers fan it'd feel hollow to me.

Like when richmond sold the farm and adjoining property for lynch for a flag. Wait, not one, not two..... Now theyre on the slow decline with possibly one more year of potential success.

They had some young talent but nothing you can build around, I also think we have seen too many instances of players breaking out once they leave LA to believe it is a coincidence.

That AD trade is already worth it imo. Without Lebron they don’t get him and they aren’t close to getting a title which they have already accomplished.

Nance
Randle
Ingram
Clarkson
Ball

Never going to work together

Like when richmond sold the farm and adjoining property for lynch for a flag. Wait, not one, not two..... Now theyre on the slow decline with possibly one more year of potential success.
peternorth #Respect for the PN oeuvre, but on this reply you are right&wrong... pro sport fails on two counts , a risk coefficient estimate (#riskfallacy) and NOT assessing contemporaneous momentum(improvement.v.decline) and being on the right side of the curve (ascent.v.descent)* Lebron an outlier and exception that proves my rule

One cannot manage away the factor of ' time ' . Cotchin's Richmond w Dusty Riewoldt Edwards and Rance hit apogee in 2018 after Adelaide good fortune in 2017 balanced up that year's Collingwood loss... But how does one replace a bloc of Cotch Martin Rance Riewoldt Edwards all players with multiple years in topic AFL players , and most with years in top 10 , this bloc cannot be replaced , at best you can ameliorate the loss , but you need to win on your upswing , of course you can find an exception

I think you require voids or seems or fissures for your core 7 man rotation to expand into , or an Alex Caruso to plug , but not a play off Rondo or Carmelo or a Westbrook , and besides a Delly or a Caruso LBJ is exceedingly hard for a young player or rookie like THT to get their bearings , I think this was ego and Michael Lewis and .only all, Rob Pelinka Rich Paul and Maverick Carter with Lebron thought they could win from the GM's suite , just like Jerry West at Clippers or Sean Marks at Brooklyn

They had some young talent but nothing you can build around,

I dunno, I mean no superstars but; Randle, Russell, Clarkson, Ingram, Zubac, Lonzo, Nance, Hart, Kuzma, Caruso is a pretty long list of young talent to let go. Doesn't mean they needed to, or were ever going to keep hold of all of them, but the alternative timeline hypothetical is definitely more intriguing than you're suggesting.

I also think we have seen too many instances of players breaking out once they leave LA to believe it is a coincidence.

They weren't well coached, or a even ever a well constructed roster, granted. That part is not a coincidence.

However IMO the idea that the players only became talents after they left is overplayed. Leaving aside the high lottery picks, there were plenty of signs that Kuzma, Hart, Clarkson, Nance and Zubac were viable rotation players with long NBA futures ahead of them.

I've seen a similar argument be made for teams like the Kings, which IMO is also a fallacy. There really haven't been many players leave Sacramento and then finally blossom. The Kings' problem has been drafting, roster construction and a coaching carousel, not talent development per se.

Similarly I don't think the Lakers were unaware of the value of the pieces that they had. They just mis-used some of them, or chose to trade them for established talent (Davis, which is defensible). It's fair to say that Russell and Randle were not well served by the Kobe farewell circus, and that the likes of Kuzma were miscast alongside LeBron.

That AD trade is already worth it imo. Without Lebron they don’t get him and they aren’t close to getting a title which they have already accomplished.

I'm not criticizing that specific trade really. You can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs, etc.

But in the overall scheme of things they've let some guys go - Caruso, Zubac, Kuzma - with very little in return. In the bigger picture the Lakers are going to be left a lot like the Cavs in 2010 and 2018, or the Heat in 2014 - a team bereft of young talent. Of course the Heat were alright in the long run because Riley/Spoelstra, but it took the Cavs two attempts and nearly 10 years to finally recover a post-LeBron identity.

The question of a single player becoming de-facto GM wherever he lands and leaving the team to recover when he decides the curve is trending down is a prickly one, and definitely deserves to be asked.

If the Lakers weren't the Lakers they'd be bailed out by the league by now.

Nance
Randle
Ingram
Clarkson
Ball

Never going to work together
What they gave up at the time was the correct decision.

Even if they only win one title it was worth it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will see if J-Gidd gets a fill up from all the all-stars pissing in his pocket to try to chase down Mobley ... I don't think he can I must add , it is too great a gap
Wouldn't put it past him!

Mobley though is having an amazing season tbf.

Zion has been based In Oregon too, no chance he would play for Blazers
He wants the New York Knicks.

Only team that'll be stupid enough to take a gamble on him and offer him the max and he knows it smart move.

He wants the New York Knicks.

Only team that'll be stupid enough to take a gamble on him and offer him the max and he knows it smart move.
Nike might lube the wheels to make it happen , they would like a bonafide star/sneaker seller in NYC... with streaming the major market teams have less command than they did , but Lakers and NY still have a draw , but aforementioned major markets Dallas Atlanta Chicago LA NY Philly Houston have less heft but still influence

what is the streaming appellation? <'over-the-top'> helps if market is bigger like American leagues EPL Germany

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back