The Official John Meesen Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Meesen

haha rising sun, but anyway Meese had bad luck this year when he got injured.. Griffin is probably only in the side because Meese and Maric and early season injuries and he has done alright with his chances.. don't write off Meesen yet hopefully he gets himself fit and pushes for a spot later in the season

Griffen has much more upside than both of those put together.
That is the club's opinion. That's why they chased him.

Meesen has more potential as a ruckman than anyone on the AFC list.

He's 20 yo. He was the no. 1 ruckmen at Norwood at 18. He can play anywhere around the ground. He has very good foot/hand/tap/ball-winning skills.

His rucking style is body-on-body and typically this style of ruckman takes even longer than other to develop. Again, he's only 20 yo. In part because of his aggressive rucking style, a few minor injuries have slowed his inevitable debut for the AFC.

Meesen will debut this year. Griffin has been a surprise, but I'm confident the AFC still intends to stick to their 2004 plan of have M&M.

Maric will be a good ruckman. Griffin is more comfortable as a forward. Tippett and Sellar have played as ruckmen in the past, but are too short for the modern rucking style. They will be both be forwards, but may play as rucks in cameo roles around the ground.

It would be foolish for a developing ruckman, intending to debut, to sign to a multiple year contract that would tie you to a smaller wage. Expect Meese to try his luck again this year with a one year contract, even if he doesn't play. If he feels he's been treated unfairly by the AFC in 2008, I'd expect him to leave. Unless the Cats bottom out this year, I wouldn't be even slightly concerned about him heading to the PSD in 2007.

Everyone get off his back and get excited about RELEASING THE MEESE!

You're underrating just how tall Tippett is. He's definately taller than both Hudson and Maric. Probably just a shade taller than Biglands and Meesen.
Very tall lad. If we desperately needed him to be a ruckman, I think he'd be more than useful, but I agree that he does seem more suitable for a key forward role, although he's going to take a few years in either position before he's close to ready for AFL.

Tippett and Sellar have played as ruckmen in the past, but are too short for the modern rucking style.

Um, Tippett is the exact same size as Meesen according to the AFC web site, and 2 years younger. 200 cm and 95 kg's. He is plenty big enough and getting bigger. I have a gut feeling he might be the biggest in the long term.

Granted Sellar is a bit short at 195cm, but he isnt finished growing yet either. Also, werent we looking at playing Kenny Mc. in ruck and he's about the same height.

Maric and Huson are both shorter that Tippett at 198cm, but are 97 and 108kg's respectively.

Griffen is the tallest at 202cm, but also the thinnest at just 90kg's. I think he may have put on a couple of kg's since then though.

We'd have talls coming out of our arse if we could get them all on the park at the same time.

That coupled with my suspiscion Meesen will want to go home at seasons end, might make Meesen our best trading card for a long long time.

That coupled with my suspiscion Meesen will want to go home at seasons end, might make Meesen our best trading card for a long long time.

i hope he doesnt want to leave.. this would mean another failed vic draft pic alongside angwin and fergus watts... what a waste of another high draft pick...

we've been over this a miilion times PAV IS NOT COMING HOME!!!

for some reason which I don't know why, all south Australian draftee's never get homesick they like to stay with their respctive club!.....Victorian draftee's if they get drafted to an interstate club 70% end up going pack to victoria! Is there Something wrong with them?

we've been over this a miilion times PAV IS NOT COMING HOME!!!

for some reason which I don't know why, all south Australian draftee's never get homesick they like to stay with their respctive club!.....Victorian draftee's if they get drafted to an interstate club 70% end up going pack to victoria! Is there Something wrong with them?

yes there must be something wrong with them.. obviously pavs not going to leave. but the crows could nab a young up and coming gun originally from SA?

ah ok. that actually does make some sense then... should have stated that with the comment beforehand then

Not my problem that you're not psychic. :p

Seriously though... I'm not gonna go typing an extra sentence. Consider the calories I'd burn and the cartilage I'd be breaking down in my fingers >_>

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maric will be a good ruckman. Griffin is more comfortable as a forward. Tippett and Sellar have played as ruckmen in the past, but are too short for the modern rucking style. They will be both be forwards, but may play as rucks in cameo roles around the ground.

Kurt Tippett is 201 cm (Griffin is 202, Meesen is 201, Biglands is 200, Hudson is 199 and Ivan Maric is only 198cm)

Jimmy maybe to short to play as a ruckman but Kurt Tippett is plenty tall enough.

But I agree with what you are saying regarding John Meesen, he has plenty of untapped potential and way to early to talk about him not making it.

OK, I was wrong about Tippett's height, but that doesn't change the fact that he will be a forward for the AFC. He looks much more comfortable inside 50 for Wests and (I've read) that his athletic type means he is much better suited to shorter bursts of running given his basketballer background.

Plus, anyone optimistically hoping for a value trade for Meesen are kidding themselves. The only circumstance in which he will leave the AFC will be if he asks. In which case, the Victorian clubs would certainly have the upper hand. You can't argue (1) that Meese is untried and useless and (2) we will get someone like Varcoe or Hughes for him because both of those players are tried and (relatively) proven. the best we could possibly hope for is a first round pick, but that's a waste of 3 years development.

is there a player in the league who hasnt played a game that gets talked about as much as meesen? :confused:

there is at least one new thread about him every other week...

So many ill-informed opinions in this thread, I could quote just about every post but I won’t go there. Meesen has the potential to be an extremely good player, and I find it laughable and some people are writing him off. :rolleyes: He was improving each and every week for Norwood last year, and the coaching staff had so much faith in his ability that he was the one and only ruckmen playing for Norwood in the second half of 2006. Meesen averaged 13 possessions, 5 marks and 13 hitouts per game, not bad for a 19/20year old. In the last month of the H&A season he averaged close to 20 possessions and 15 hitouts per game. Look around the league; you will struggle to find a ruckmen who was having a big impact in their third season.

People like to write him off because they haven’t seen much of him and therefore don’t know just how much potential he has. For those who are writing him off, just how many times have you seen him play? And I bet the people who are now praising Griffin would have wanted him delisted last year. :rolleyes:

So many ill-informed opinions in this thread, I could quote just about every post but I won’t go there. Meesen has the potential to be an extremely good player, and I find it laughable and some people are writing him off. :rolleyes: He was improving each and every week for Norwood last year, and the coaching staff had so much faith in his ability that he was the one and only ruckmen playing for Norwood in the second half of 2006. Meesen averaged 13 possessions, 5 marks and 13 hitouts per game, not bad for a 19/20year old. In the last month of the H&A season he averaged close to 20 possessions and 15 hitouts per game. Look around the league; you will struggle to find a ruckmen who was having a big impact in their third season.

People like to write him off because they haven’t seen much of him and therefore don’t know just how much potential he has. For those who are writing him off, just how many times have you seen him play? And I bet the people who are now praising Griffin would have wanted him delisted last year. :rolleyes:

I am pretty sure you were one of those :D :p

That aside, I do agree. People are quick to write him off for what ever reason but I am confident in saying that he is the ruck prospect with most potential on our list. His ability to find the pill at that size is invaluable. His ruckwork is getting better especially in the center square. FFS, give this kid some time. He has missed an equivelant of a season of footy with his 2 knee strains (1 in first year and 1 this year). Once he beefs up a bit and get more experience, he will be special.

I am pretty sure you were one of those :D :p

That aside, I do agree. People are quick to write him off for what ever reason but I am confident in saying that he is the ruck prospect with most potential on our list. His ability to find the pill at that size is invaluable. His ruckwork is getting better especially in the center square. FFS, give this kid some time. He has missed an equivelant of a season of footy with his 2 knee strains (1 in first year and 1 this year). Once he beefs up a bit and get more experience, he will be special.

I find it hilarious that people can ask that Meesen is given time. Why not give time to the others as well instead of ripping them apart?

No young player has been ripped apart on these boards except for Jericho.

And young Mick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back