The Official John Meesen Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Meesen

No young player has been ripped apart on these boards except for Jericho.

And young Mick.

If you ever need a laugh search some threads circa 2004. The amount of people ripping into Bock, Mattner, Mathew Smith (ok so that was justified) and James Gallagher (also justified) is hilarious.

Lukey, Scotty Stevens, Nathan Bock, Michael Doughty (Ok, so i'm stretching a few years back:p )
Err..

Luke - Not really. In fact I have stood up for him quite a lot.
Scott Stevens - See Luke
Bock - At times early on. But nothing way too harsh :D
Dogga - when he deserved it yes. I let it rip after that pathetic round 22 performance in 2004 when I called him "footsteps". The 3 squibs he had in that game are still burning in my mind. But to lad's credit he has turned around his attack on the man and the ball brilliantly. So much so that now days he is one of the toughest on the list. As much as I remember those 3 squibs (especially the Pickett one), I also remember his sensational match winning smother against Swans a couple of years ago. Now THAT was gold! :D

And you forgot one, Wasn't a big fan of Martin Mattner of Gary Ayres era as well. Great tackler but pretty dumb at times. To his credit he has cut down on the dumb moment and developed into a pretty handy footballer.

So apart from Doughty's showdown effort, not many that I ripped apart :p

If you ever need a laugh search some threads circa 2004. The amount of people ripping into Bock, Mattner, Mathew Smith (ok so that was justified) and James Gallagher (also justified) is hilarious.

I want to find threads ripping into David. God knows how we managed to get something for him.

I am pretty sure you were one of those :D :p

That aside, I do agree. People are quick to write him off for what ever reason but I am confident in saying that he is the ruck prospect with most potential on our list. His ability to find the pill at that size is invaluable. His ruckwork is getting better especially in the center square. FFS, give this kid some time. He has missed an equivelant of a season of footy with his 2 knee strains (1 in first year and 1 this year). Once he beefs up a bit and get more experience, he will be special.

I think people tend to forget the bolded bit.

if he'd had a clear 2 year run then there is no telling where he could be right now. as it is injurys have held him back so far. So far every time he starts to shift into second or third something goes.

So many ill-informed opinions in this thread, I could quote just about every post but I won’t go there. Meesen has the potential to be an extremely good player, and I find it laughable and some people are writing him off. :rolleyes: He was improving each and every week for Norwood last year, and the coaching staff had so much faith in his ability that he was the one and only ruckmen playing for Norwood in the second half of 2006. Meesen averaged 13 possessions, 5 marks and 13 hitouts per game, not bad for a 19/20year old. In the last month of the H&A season he averaged close to 20 possessions and 15 hitouts per game. Look around the league; you will struggle to find a ruckmen who was having a big impact in their third season.

People like to write him off because they haven’t seen much of him and therefore don’t know just how much potential he has. For those who are writing him off, just how many times have you seen him play? And I bet the people who are now praising Griffin would have wanted him delisted last year. :rolleyes:

I don't think anyone is writing him off. At least not yet.

To date he hasn't shown as much as Maric, and I don't think even Drummond would/could argue otherwise. Griffin has seemingly come from nowhere (Centrals reserves) to reach the position where he is now comfortably holding down the 2nd ruck position in Adelaide's senior lineup.

In that time, Meesen has performed well at Norwood, improving immensely in 2006 after a disappointing 2005. However, he failed to impress when lining up against the Crows in the Norwood vs Crows hitout and didn't do an awful lot before being injured playing Port in the Mickey Mouse Cup game. I am sure that given more opportunities he would show us what he is truly capable of.

I don't think anyone here wants to see him delisted outright, they do however see a strong possibility that he will be traded to a Victorian based club - at his own request. Indeed, it may be in his own best interests to do so.

Consider Adelaide's ruck stocks:
Ben Hudson - Clearly Adelaide's #1 ruckman. Currently aged 28, he can be expected to hold that position until 2010.
Rhett Biglands - Missing 2007 through injury, but even so remains Adelaide's most experienced ruckman. Currently aged 29 (30 in September) with a year to run on his contract, there is speculation that he may not be able to work his way back into the side if the youngsters show they are capable.
Ivan Maric - Played 8 games last year and was expected to be Hudson's backup in 2007, until injury intervened. Now back playing in the SANFL he is still Adelaide's #1 ranked youngster.
Jonathon Griffin - Seemingly came from nowhere and now has 6 AFL games to his credit. Rightly or wrongly, the perception is that he is now the #2 ranked youngster at the club.
John Meesen - Highly rated youngster, drafted at #8 overall. Has yet to make his debut, though this was expected to happen in 2007 until he was injured during the pre-season. Arguably now #3 youngster.
Kurt Tippett - Drafted as a KPP forward (potentially FF). However, he is the 2nd tallest player on Adelaide's list (behind Griffin) and has been playing mostly in the ruck at West Adelaide. A recent convert from basketball, he is the least experienced of Adelaide's ruckmen and is clearly the #4 youngster.

With Hudson, Maric and Griffin now ahead of him in the pecking order (and Biglands possibly returning in 2008), he may well be starved of opportunities at the senior level.

The main reason behind all the speculation that he may ask for a trade was his supposed reluctance to re-sign at the end of 2006. This was probably caused by his perception that his opportunities were limited (he was 4th in line and had yet to make his debut). At the end of the day though, he took a gamble and signed a 1-year contract, hoping that his standing would improve and that a better offer would be forthcoming at the end of 2007. His subsequent knee injury probably means that his gamble will not pay off.

With Hudson now fit and Griffin arguably going past him in the pecking order, nothing much has changed. He finds himself having to negotiate a new contract, still 4th in the pecking order (maybe 5th depending upon the future of Biglands). Faced with this situation, can you honestly blame him for seeking greater opportunities elsewhere?

At the end of the day, the choice of whether to go or stay will be his. If he decides to depart, then I for one will understand why and will wish him the best with his future club. On the other hand, if he wants to stay then I and almost everyone else on this board would be more than happy for the club to offer him another (preferably longer) contract.

I really hope this kid stays. I have seen signs ( albeit only a few) he could turn out to be a quality player.

If he does decide to go home, I would be surprised if we received a pick inside the first 20 in return. The thought of *****ing another 1st round draft is too hard to contemplate.

Re: Meesan

I actually think he'll still be on our list at the start of next year.
We all know there's talent there, and that ruckman can take a long time to develop.
If he leaves, it will be because he asks to be traded. If he's happy to stay (which is still the big question), we'll keep him for at least 1 more year. Jericho, Massie, Bode etc. have all been given a last chance under Craig, and I expect Meesen, who has more potential than those three combined, will be too. If Matthew Smith can stay on our list for 15 years, we'll keep Meesen for another 1.
But yeah, the question is whether he wants that chance. He doesn't seem to be particularly interested in playing for our club, or playing at all, at least in comparison to some of our more successful recent draftees.
What CRAP!! The guy is injured!! He desperately wants to play. At least give him an opportunity to show his wares.

Andrew Capel and Richard Earle claim he’s a ruck “bust” but they’re way out of line.

I caught the last half of the reserves game and what I saw was extremely impressive. Norwood reserves have a handful of ruckman so Meesen played 50% of the game up forward and the other 50% in the ruck.

He started the third quarter in the forward line and had mixed results. The highlight of the half was when he was playing as a leading forward and he took a very strong 1-on-1 contested mark about 45 metres out. The kick was a little off course and it was marked on the point line by a teammate but the mark was outstanding. It’s this kind of added strength that will take his game to the next level. He had a chance to snap a goal but he was offline for a behind, and another snap when straight up in the air and he then chased after it. :p He then went into the ruck for the last 10 minutes of the quarter and he had 3 touches. Once again I was very impressed with his quick hands in traffic and his ability to hit a target by hand. Although there’s only the behind to show for his work up forward, I thought he presented a lot better than in the past and he looked more dangerous. So he had 6 touches for the term and a few nice hitouts, one 10 metre tap straight into the hands of a sprinting player.

In the last quarter he played the first 15 minutes up forward but the ball didn’t do down there too often. He didn’t have a possession while playing up forward. With about 10 minutes remaining in the quarter he went into the ruck. This is when he took over. He had 7 possessions in the last 10 minutes, about 2 or 3 were clearances and he worked hard around the ground and pushed back well into defence.

So he had 13 possessions for the half. From what I saw a great performance, but there were a few things that really impressed me. He looks far more co-ordinated than in previous years and he ran out the game as strong as ever. His work around the stoppages and his ability to get the clearance himself is very impressive. :thumbsu: There’s no doubt he deserves to be back playing league football next week.

This guy has to be a priority of ours over the next few months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: We MUST re-sign Meesen!

I saw it too Drum but do we really need another Messen thread after a good HALF of a RESERVES game. Give me, and everyone else, a break and release that grip, or did the league game already make you sad enough :D

Are you going to post a glowing review for a Norwood player every time they play? Must be a quality team down there with all the great players running around.
Here we go again. :D :rolleyes:

PC, seriously, he played ALL 20 games last year so for you to question whether he is better than reserves level is just absurd.

I didn't think he was that great, he wasn't bad, just not outstanding. Saw him go for a tackle and got pushed off easily. Didn't really impress me.

PC, seriously, he played ALL 20 games last year so for you to question whether he is better than reserves level is just absurd.

You cream yourself everytime he touches the ball, yes he is better than reserves level that part im not questioning but do you have to start a thread every single time he plays a good HALF OF FOOTY

Where did i question that Drumstick?

What's absurd is you posting every week to tell us that every player at Norwood should be on the Crows list, whilst at the same time your team scores three goals to three quarter time in one of the worst efforts ive ever seen.

Settle down. I do believe he is better than ressies level so by definition he SHOULD have dominated but he didnt. Thats the point I am making. He should be taking that level of football apart. Why isnt he?

I didn't think he was that great, he wasn't bad, just not outstanding. Saw him go for a tackle and got pushed off easily. Didn't really impress me.
Yes I saw that too but you know what, so one tackle didn't stick, big whoop! Lots of positives to take out of his game and you highlight one tackle that wasn’t executed well?

Where did i question that Drumstick?

What's absurd is you posting every week to tell us that every player at Norwood should be on the Crows list, whilst at the same time your team scores three goals to three quarter time in one of the worst efforts ive ever seen.
Seriously, where I have I said anything about the performance of Norwood tonight? We were pathetic and most of the players didn’t seem to want to be out there. Our best player for the season in Kieran McGuinness had a stinker and he turned the ball over every time he touched it. We went handball crazy, we played dumb, unaccountable football and we rarely stopped and looked for the right option. We put in a disgraceful performance tonight on the coldest night I have ever experienced. I think I’ve lost feeling in my legs and feet so I’m allowed to express my thoughts on the game of John Meesen!!!

Settle down. I do believe he is better than ressies level so by definition he SHOULD have dominated but he didnt. Thats the point I am making. He should be taking that level of football apart. Why isnt he?
He's a ruckman. In the 30 minutes of football he played in the ruck in the second half he had 10 possessions. He won clearances, he ran hard and provided an option; I think his performance as a ruckman was more than adequate.

Seriously, where I have I said anything about the performance of Norwood tonight? We were pathetic and most of the players didn’t seem to want to be out there. Our best player for the season in Kieran McGuinness had a stinker and he turned the ball over every time he touched it. We went handball crazy, we played dumb, unaccountable football and we rarely stopped and looked for the right option. We put in a disgraceful performance tonight on the coldest night I have ever experienced. I think I’ve lost feeling in my legs and feet so I’m allowed to express my thoughts on the game of John Meesen!!!

You havent. Thats the point. From the way you've talked about half of your players, to have any credibility Norwood would have to be dominating the league.

You havent. Thats the point. From the way you've talked about half of your players, to have any credibility Norwood would have to be dominating the league.
Yawn. I’ve head this before; I’ve had this exact argument many times. Why are people so thick? You do realise that teams can have great individuals and yet still be a pathetic team? Or is that too hard for you to comprehend?

Name half of the Norwood side that I've talked up. Thanks. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

The Official John Meesen Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back